1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The True NT Debate

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Oct 20, 2019.

1. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Casey Hampton was drafted out of Texas in ‘01 and that was just about the perfect fit the Steelers and Big Snack could have hoped for. True Harmony. Stop the run on 1st and second, force a pass short of the sticks on 3rd and get off the field. He was a “Huge” part of their 13-3 campaign that year.
    2002 was a slap back to reality. How do you beat the vaunted 3-4 at that time? Spread them out. After newly crowned Brady beat our ass opening up Gillette, I saw in person Rich Gannon complete 43 of 64 passes for 400+ yards. A week and a starting QB later, Cowher turned to Tommy Gun to outscore offenses. It nearly worked that year.
    ‘04 saw the return of LeBeau, but think of the defensive players we accumulated in the process. Troy in ‘03. Farrior in ‘02. DeShea and Ike, pushing out DeWayne and Scott. And in 2004, we lost Hampton early in the season for the year and Hoke didn’t skip a beat in relief.
    Skip to ‘08, our defense had played together for nearly 5 years. Add Keisel, Woodley, and Deebo as starters, and Smith solidifying himself as an absolute stalwart, and Clark. We were untouchable. It was a sight to see.

My point? I don’t know, I just liked reminiscing a bit on this bye week. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Your point is ... we put together a helluva defense and got a HOF qb in the process. And, had great coaches, who could utilize them

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If it were a Casey of his first couple of years, where he was extremely quick off the snap, that would work well in this evolving league. Not what Casey grew into later in his career. Good at that time but the game has changed that position. Was hoping buggs could take that step in the two down linemen sets. Tuitt is built for that too. Tuitt cannot stay healthy. He's great when he is but that's few and far between. He ties up a chit load of money too. I know this may not be popular but I would look to trade him around draft time. We have to invest some in our front this year. :cool:

4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hoke was great. Excellent depth that was starter material. We really were stacked back then.

5. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I've often said that we're missing a dominant presence in the middle to stop the run and or run dominant teams like the Cowboys who killed us a few years ago.

I like Javon but the role of that position is to consistently take on 2 lineman AND get push into the backfield. Even the slightest push can disrupt an offense. The key is to have dominant and inside linebackers who can fill the holes and or shred blocks. Bush is the speed guy and Vince is the the shredder. Tuitt and Heywood must set the edge and the outside linebackers have to get home (Dupree is the liability here against most good teams)
    Now that we have a True Safety who can play center field it frees up the FS to roam.
    We can get a dominant NT in the 3rd or 3th round. Especially since teams dont draft the position as frequently.
    Brandon William's for the Ravens is an example of what the D can look like with a stud in the middle. That team is VERY difficult to run on with him in the lineup and was almost impossible last year when they still had Mosely (I believe we won our game last year without him in the lineup)
    William's was a 3rd round draft pick btw

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think the linebackers need to be dominate for a successful 3-4 & lineman need to be dominate for success in the 4-3. We need a 10 sack guy (at the least) at rolb moreso than a dominate nt. Most runs that chew our defense up are off tackle & cut backs away from the middle of the line.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Here’s a question and conversation starter. With the lack of proven depth at OLB and Dupree most likely due a big contract, not to mention the hopeful departure of Butler. Is next year the year we begin a transition to a 4-3? I know we’re rarely in our base anyway but is it better to invest in Hargrave or Bud?
    I feel CH, ST, JH, TA and Buggs are all 4-3 capable. Also going off of what AQL said about DL being extremely deep in the draft we may have a better chance finding a stud or two at DL rather than OLB seeing how we don’t pick until the 2nd and hopefully the 3rd. Thoughts?

8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Steelers go offense with their 2nd pick. Who is hitting the fa market at olb next year? Not the difference makers but 2nd tier that Colbert loves to sign.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Shaq Barrett. Don’t know the price tag though Vic Beasley?

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just about every draft, there is a good DT I wanted the team to add...Jaleel Johnson 3 years ago, BJ Hill 2 years ago, Dexter Lawrence last year. Lawrence was a 1st rounder but Johnson was a 4th rounder and Hill was a 3rd rounder. I've been saying for awhile they needed to compliment Gravedigger with another interior DL. They tried with a couple late rounders but I think a top 3 round pick should be upcoming.

With that said though, I think next year's 2nd should be spent on the OL. A lot of those guys are getting long in the tooth and we don't have the equalizer in MM anymore.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree on ol only if a few go in the first. We could use another L. Bell type 2nd round RB also.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If he keeps getting sacks he will be out of the Steelers price range, teams always overpay in free agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Creed Humphrey comes to mind for me. Maurkice might be gone next season. In addition, I believe that Derwin Gray can make the transition provided part of the future plans with B.J are not set in stone. I truly would want Tyler Biadasz though. He is a lock for Round One barring injury. That dude is a stud.

That said, Leki Fotu or Marvin Wilson havr my votes. Nevermind killing two birds with inr stone. Take on all three.

14. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Pretty sure the #1 and #2 defenses in the NFL are running the 3-4 as their base defense, so kinda puts a kink into your idea that offenses figured it out quickly.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    IIRC, Casey played in a 4-3 in college...and when he was young he could run sideline to sideline very well.

Bottom line ... it doesn’t matter how big of a squat-monster a guy is...if he can run around and make plays, imposing his will on the line, then I wouldn’t be adverse to drafting him.

If Casey Hampton was in the the draft this year I’d still draft him.

16. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    To be clear the 49ers own the # 2 defense and run a 4-3 base.... N.E. Owns the top spot and while their base is 3-4 they run Nickel & dime 50% of their snaps..... in fact their roster is so versatile they will keep their 3-4 personnel on the field but align in a Nickel or even Dime which is why they’ve confused so many teams and are destroying them ...... it’s a thing of beauty and makes me Hate them even more!!!!

Occasionally they sub in DE on obvious passing downs and align in a 4-3 but not as often as micheal Bennett wants which is why he’s making a scene and getting put in the dog house!!!!

Point is and remains..... OLD school 3-4 with a zero-tech NT is not the way to go in today’s NFL

Cajun

17. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I absolutely think if we had a NT the caliber of the big snack would be huge. A huge bullrushing nose tackle driving his man back is great especially if you have good outside pressure from the olbs like we used to get and are starting to get again this year. Leaves the QB having to go left or right.P the hole plugging and stopping the run up the middle is awesome when you got a big body in there taking up blockers and space.