1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Top 5 worst offseason moves.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He spouted off about Ben starting too. I wouldn't rank losing Faneca that high, he only played 3 more seasons before retiring, not like he went on to have 6 more pro bowl seasons. He did perform well for the Jets but they cut him after 2 seasons. Dont know how well he did in his last season with Arizona.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    How about signing Willie Colon to a 5 year, $29 million deal... and then restructuring that deal to push the cap hit down the road... and then, after he shows that he can be a respectable guard in a power scheme, switching to a zone scheme and cutting him with a post June 1 designation so that we enjoy $4.3 million in dead money this year to close the books on a what was a bad decision to begin with.

4. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    God I hope not!!!:nea:

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree. I don't understand all of the vitriol for Jones after just one season in which he only saw pre-season action. I think he has the potential to develop into a good quarterback and maybe an adequate starter which is about as much as you can expect out of a 4th rounder. I just don't get the hatred for the kid by Myron and some others on this board. Give the guy a chance and let's see if he improves his second season.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasn't a fan of the pick at the time but some of this stuff being said is completely baseless. Sure not based off his college tape and hasn't seen any pro action yet. Hope its not based on the glimpse in pre season!

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I think it is. :?

8. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    My opinion of "dirty" is we didnt need a back up QB when we drafted him. A fourth round S,DB,DL,LB....would have served the team better than a QB who would most likely never see the field.

9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I think so too and that is extremely unfair. If he sucks it up this year in the preseason then maybe the criticism is justified but to already be writing him off after a ROOKIE preseason us ridiculous.

10. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That's fair, Myron, I understand that completely. But let's give the guy until year two at least before we start writing him off as a no talent career backup at best.

11. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    He still cost us that draft pick....:shrug:why pick him??

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    The Steelers obviously saw something in him that they liked. I think they also came to the realization that the light at the end of Ben's career tunnel is getting bigger each year and they wanted a good, young quarterback with developable potential on the roster. We can debate whether or not the pick could have been better utilized on another position and you have a point that it maybe could have been. I think LJ's progress from year one to year two will give us an indication whether or not it was a wasted pick.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we drafted a LB in the 1st. we did draft a S in the 4th also. we drafted a DB in the 5th. we drafted a DL in the 7th. we drafted all those positions you say we missed out on Myron. we lost two backup qb's. so you can't say it wasn't a need. we went through 3 and had to bring in a 4th that we lost by our own doing, so we did need one. we got a good productive player from college. :cool:

14. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Lets see what he does in the NFL....My thinking.....Not much!!!!!!

15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    What upsets me isn't so much that draft pick as the third from this year - had they taken Shamarko with the Landry pick, they'd still have still have it. And the depth of this year's pool makes it a valuable one, especially for a team in the situation the Steelers are in. It's not really about LJ's abilities; I think the Steelers plan of Roethlisberger ending his career wearing B&G, so the need is for a competent back up for the foreseeable future. Does Jones develop and eventually become a candidate to replace Ben? Maybe, thought it's a stretch to see it at this point. But for a team with a franchise QB looking to reload the supporting cast looking to best contend while he's still around, a fourth/third rounder is more important than to spend on a third-string QB.

16. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    My biggest problem with Landry Jones is that in my opinion he was way over drafted. I think he could have been had in the 7th or as an UDFA.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Loving the Landry Jones discussion. I was beyond frustration last year when we made that trade. I still hate it, and I still have no idea what the [bleep] we thought we were achieving by making that move. I'm especially frustrated now that we are looking at a draft class that many agree is the deepest we've seen in a decade. There will be guys available when our lost 3rd rounder comes up who will be quality NFL starters, and possibly even impact as rookies in 2014.

18. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. #1 is a no brainer. . .. cutting johnny unitas
    2. #2 is pretty similar.... there was this dude named len dawson......
    3. Passing over dan marino
    4. What were they thinking when they drafted john reinstra
    5. STILL NO CHEERLEADERS!!!!!!!!!

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was going with Marino as #1 until you reminded me of Unitas.

Why do we need cheerleaders? I thought that was what fans in the stands were for?

20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

as much as i love the steelers and my fellow fans, there's quite a few i just don't want to be staring at on a regular basis........ no offense

21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'll put Marino over Unitas for this reason: the 60's teams weren't very good, whereas the 90's teams were. Marino could have added championships.

I'll also add letting Santonio Holmes leave. Had he been on the roster during the superbowl against GB, I say the last drive ends up differently.

Next, drafting Troy Edwards. I read earlier about Limas Sweed because he was a 2nd round pick. Well, Edwards was a 1st round pick who didn't pan out while there were players like Jevon Kearse on the board.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's the case for any draft pick. we draft them based on what they did in college. he did a lot. heck we pretty much blew two full drafts now, one 4th rounder isn't going to make or break the draft. if he doesn't play for the next 4 years, that's probably a good thing Myron. ya know what I mean? LOL:cool:

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we also cut len dawson. oh and al bundy (ed O'Neal).

1. cutting unitas
    2. cutting len dawson
    3. not drafting marino
    4. letting searcy get away
    5. cutting vrabel

:cool:

24. obxsteeler

obxsteeler Active Member

Mar 25, 2014
    This works both ways. How about these moves. 1) passing up a ND/hometown QB to draft "Joe who?" in the 1st rd. We did get Hanratty in the 2nd and Landry Jones may end up as good. 2)Passing up a potential franchise LT to draft Ben. 3) trading down to get Troy and Holmes. Who did we miss out on? 4) drafting an injured Heath Miller in rd1. 5) trading a 3RD ROUND CHOICE for Bettis. What say?

25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    We traded up for Troy, no?

Interesting post, though.