1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Jan 26, 2014.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I've actually had bear meat and it was NASTY! It had like an almost "sour" taste to it. I was not a fan of it at all. But the roast was the actual part of the elk I've tried and it was awesome. My papaw made it but didn't tell anybody what it was but me because he knew they wouldn't eat it and they all loved it and then he told them and they felt bad for eating it. LOL. Also have you ever actually killed an elk before or did you eat one someone else had killed?

2. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Frog giggin' is when you take this sorta pronged object, almost like a mini-pitchfork and I mean they are SHARP too, and you go at night and shine a light on them and sneak up and gouge it through them. That's what frog giggin' is. It takes quite a bit of skill actually. There really are a lot of hunters up in your neck of the woods actually. In PA people hunt a lot for sure. I've seen people literally hunting right off the interstate up there on my way to games before.

3. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So you wouldn't want to eat just plain turkey? You like it better as an ingredient? I've also seen someone use coke to dissolve battery corrosion! I was like "wait! I DRINK that and it's THAT strong!" LOL! I'm no mechanic and didn't know you could do that but when you think of something being that strong and then you drink it it's sorta crazy.

4. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    love frog legs

gigged many along with flounder giggin ran up and down the waterways of Carolina giggin floiunder

it's fun and rewarding at the same time a challenge

I get 5lb boxes of frog legs at UGO (united grocery outlet) great store 20 bucks
    I just grill them like chicken legs most time different flavors
    good eats

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Oh! I forgot that's what that was called. Yeah, that's a lot of work compared to just going out to the pond and catching them. They're pretty slow and stupid around here I guess. :lolol:

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I have, and it's good when it's prepared right. Growing up, my parents had no idea how to treat it so it was gamey as can be. After a couple times, it would end up as wild turkey soup and what not.

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I found Bear meat to be extremely greasy. And how dare you hick jack my thread that's it I'm done with you both I'm going to go in the corner in cry now. Lmao

8. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    stupid frogs :roflmao: way to rib it

just doesn't seem to be as many as back in the day to gig or catch

I remember going "snake hunting" and just coming back with a lot of snakes did it just for the thrill of finding them first and catching them

9. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    GRIN AND BEAR IT STEEL!!!

10. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    AHH SHOOT

Steel I missed that "HICKJACK"

that was good you got me

11. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    btw
    I'm fixin snack on some trotters

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    HICKJACK!!! AWESOME!!!! THAT'S SO FUNNY DUDE!!! LOL!!! You are free to say ANYthing you want in mine and darcrav's special thread! The 1st Amendment lives here my friend! LOL! Just keep this place a secret! We wouldn't want just anyone coming in here and telling us this isn't "watercooler related" since this is in the watercooler. LOL. I mean we don't have any threads about watercoolers but I have tons of strong opinions about them so it is probably better that way! LOL! But mine and darcrav's special thread has gotten over 80 hits and I'd say that's pretty good for a couple of old misfit toys.

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Do they have trotters in TN? I don't think I've ever seen one. I'm having a hard time eating anyway since I just had my special operation the other day. The nausea is ridiculous.

14. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Someone else's.

I have not had the pleasure of hunting elk... yet. It's my dream hunt. But it will have to wait a while. either until all my kids are out of the house and settled on their own (so I'll have extra money to spend on a trip), or I get extremely lucky and draw a tag here in PA. Frankly, I always wanted to do a horseback elk hunt out west. By the time I can, idk if my old body will be up to it. :lolol:

But I have plenty of whitetail to fill the freezer most years.

For small game, I have 2 words: Buffalo. Squirrel.

Quarter the squirrel. Deep fry. Bake in buffalo sauce. Serve with blue cheese dressing. (Stews get old after a while ;))

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh man squirrel is AWESOME! I used to kill them all the time and my great mamaw would make them for me. A lot of people like to eat their brains and make gravy out of them too. There's a guy where I pastor who just went on a really big squirrel hunt and I might have to eat some of his actually. He kills them with a .22 but I would always use a shotgun. Also when you said small game and then said buffalo I was like "DANG! WHAT DO YOU HUNT? ELEPHANTS!" LOL! Also I didn't know there was elk in PA. Or are you just saying you put in for drawed hunts out west?

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Nope. We have elk in PA. Good sized elk too. But it's a small herd.

They draw a few dozen tags a year. So you have 1-2 million hunters drawing for 30 tags or so. :lolol:

I always hunt squirrels with a .22LR. It's good "real world" rifle practice (and better on the meat if you concentrate on head shots).

I know some "hillbillies" and southerners eat squirrel brains. It's a cultural thing. But it is NOT good for you. For that matter, eating any animal brain is dangerous. CJD just isn't worth it.

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I've never eat their brains before either. It just seems nasty to me. I didn't know that about elk in PA though. I always thought that was one of the weird parts on The Deer Hunter was that they lived in PA but were hunting what looked like elk. I thought people mostly killed whitetail up there. You're also right about being better for the meat when you shoot them in the head. That takes a lot of skill to do that too. One of my buddies used to dog on me all the time for shooting squirrels with a shotgun but I would usually shoot them when they were moving so that should give me SOME points. LOL.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Eww eww eww eww eww eww eww...

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Lmao I didn't think anyone would catch the hick jack lmao

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  21. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    not as good as the Tennessee walking horse :smiley1:

I slow cook my pigs feet with soy,garlic,ginger,sriracha,and lemon grass
    nice on a cold day like today
    dang tasty I must say of course that's the eastern Carolina part of me
    there's more pigs than people in the state

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    They used Red Deer (or Red Stags) for "The Deer Hunter." And use those deer also for other movies featuring "deer." They aren't native to N. America and are more closely related to elk than whitetails or muleys anyway. But I assume they're tamed. Good luck using a "tamed" whitetail. ;)

You could always use stock footage to get whitetails right. But if you want to stage a scene, it just won't work. Or the stags are cheaper. IDK

Little trivia: The red stag that he lets get away in the movie was also the deer used in the Life insurance commercials in the 70s (forget which company).

23. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    Hartford I think

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That's funny because on the episode of the Cosby Show where Sandra has the twins Elvin is so nervous in the waiting room that he can't remember what insurance they have and he says "it's the one with a deer or a moose??? what's more dependable? A deer or a moose?!" LOL! Yeah you're right that you'd never tame a whitetail. Unless you have a good 30-30. That has worked for me. LOL.

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've never had pigs feet. That just seems SO nasty to me but they say the only part of a pig you can't eat is the squeal. You getting snow down there? We are up here. I'm really surprised by it because it was supposed to miss us. Now everyone is calling off school and leaving work. There is less than an inch.