1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Jan 26, 2014.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You can do all kinds of stuff with gator meat. Smoke it, grill it, bbq it, or whatever. I've never eaten it but they say it's pretty good. They also say the same thing about rattlesnakes and turtles. I don't know of anybody in TN that eats it very often though. We might need a LA thread for that. LOL.

2. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    the old AMERICAN way is to prepare gator with a stick of butter and fry the el out of it after you took a mallet to it and soaked it in buttermilk

nein danke

if and when you get nice fillet of gator
    skewer it and grill it
    best way
    season it the way you want (any flavor from the world will apply)
    or just fry it yuck

there's dark and light meat and you treat them differently like you would any other meat

amberjack and grouper cheeks are what I get from the gulf coast or Carolina coast red snapper is another along with shrimps and oysters depends on the time of year

amberjack is a fish similar to wahoo in a way or other fish snapper pompano

good to grill
    holds it shape
    pan sear is good

honestly the grouper cheeks are my favorite

3. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    LA thread ??/

now why the hel you wanna go out to caulifornia

4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Where do you actually get gator down here? Do they just sell it at the grocery store? I think there are some specialty restaurants that have it but that's the only way I know of to get it. I work with a guy that said it was pretty good.

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Trust me. I don't. Ever. LOL.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, I don't think I could eat it. In my younger years I ate anything that walked, flew, or hopped at one point. I have a story about turtle meat.

When I was a kid, a friend of the family was visiting and found a baby sea turtle at the beach. He brought it to our house and said it was a present. My dad was super mad for obvious reasons. It was the coolest thing I ever saw. Anyway, I ended up taking care of it and it grew pretty big. Had it for a long time. I would take it on vacations with us because I didn't trust anyone to watch over it for me.

So anyway, we drove to Wisconsin to visit my Dad's side of the family. It was my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary IIRC. So, Dad's uncle Deforest would take me fishing everyday, and one day we came across this huge turtle crossing the road. He gets out and starts killing it. I don't want to get too graphic, but he was stomping it and all kinds of stuff. He wanted me to come out and help and I completely refused. I was just a little kid. He brought it home and made a big soup with it.

Well, a few days later we were driving back to Virginia, and I asked my parents where my pet turtle was and they looked at each other and said 'we forgot to pack him.' I made them swear to call my grandparents and make them promise that no one would eat him. They told me they let him go, but I always suspected they let uncle DeForest stick him in a stew.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Grouper and Snapper are tasty.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I've been to 46 states, but have never been to Tennessee.

I also own a property in Kentucky that I haven't visited in years. #Random.

9. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    TBH
    publix has it
    a lil over priced
    but better than some local places I seen who had it

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    They don't have publix in east tn. I mostly see those like in FL. Do they have them out west? We have Kroger, Food City, Ingles, Food Lion, and that's about it. We did have Bi-Lo but I think they went out of business. As did Piggly Wiggly's around here.

11. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    I love turtle
    and my ponds in PA I have
    crawfish
    trout
    and goldfish

in Carolina I've seen snapping turtles bigger than a tire

I would never kill them immediately but capture and cleanse with soda crackers for 3 days before I ever ate one

along with coon and possm

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    You need to come on down here. You can sleep in gameroom if you need a place. I am stuck in it for a week due to my recent...uhm...operation... I'll keep the couch warm for you.

13. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    that's right

CTZ publics baby
    lol

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    MAN DUDE! That's sorta like cannibalism since he had became a family member by that point. I will tell you another story sorta like that. When I was little I had a chow named Snuggles and loved the crap out of him. Well when he got big one of my uncle's cows had had a calf and some dogs attacked it and killed it. Snuggles was in on it so they made me give him away. So then a few months later they get me a new puppy that was supposedly Snuggles' son. Well I didn't think anything about it and just named him Snugs. He went on to get run over but years later I was telling my buddy about this and I had this incredible moment of clarity. SNUGGLES was a CHOW. SNUGS was a BLUETICK! LOL! All those years I had thought that Snuggles and Snugs were related until I actually thought about it and realized that was impossible. LOL. Man parents will do anything to shut their kids up! HA!

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That's what I was gonna say! Chalk one up for the CTZ! HA! I really wouldn't be surprised if stores here started selling it though because Swamp People is such a popular show that people might just buy it out of curiosity.

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    No, no water. The average rainfall in San Diego is 9-13 inches/year. Ain't gonna make that this year so, of course, the enviro-whackos keep holding up the De-sal plant that will produce an estimated 5 million gals./day of fresh water.
    We don't have amberjack here but, we have a close relative in the yellowtail (Hamachi for all the sushi people) properly prepared, it's pretty tasty.

17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Gator is usually deep fried or grilled. It's very tasty. A little chewy in texture sometimes, but I like it. I've never had anything other than the tail.

(Lived in the deep south in my USAF years, and have in-laws we visit yearly in FL)

Amberjack isn't bad either. More fun catching them though. :D

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    [h=1]boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. There's, um, gator kebabs, gator creole, gator gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple gator and lemon gator, coconut gator, pepper gator, gator soup, gator stew, gator salad, gator and potatoes, gator burger, gator sandwich... That's, that's about it.
    [/h]

19. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    Ray
    you stationed in Montgomery Al or Fort Walton Beach?

played golf at quite a few Air Force stations
    you guys have the best courses lol

you were also stationed in Europe too right Germany?
    Ramstein ,Geilenkirchen?

had a family member
    go from

started in Guam then grand forks to Edwards to sault st marie to fwb LOL

20. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    Alabama has good gator

farm raised is the way to go for consumption I feel they are younger and tender

dem dere in nawlins and bayou and all be ol n tuff n all

I love to kabob chunks of fillet after marinating in a mojo

don't do much fried when I do
    then it's fryday

everything is fried tempura style

21. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    What county TTF is it close to TENN border?

22. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Hmm, I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's in north eastern KY. Deep in the sticks.

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Spent a long time in South Georgia (Moody AFB). Never went overseas. Also did a spell in TX.

Visited LA a few times (the state. Not the city. NO mostly.) And lived in FL (East coast) for a spell after I left the Air Force.

24. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Im in south eastern ky but i bet im still close to it
    it is prob real close to oh or wv rather than tenn then

25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, if I recall correctly, it's about equal distance from OH and WV. It's in Daniel Boone National Forest, but I can't recall what county off the top of my head. It's been a long time.