1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers still stuck in the middle in the next 3 years?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jul 22, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Stuck in the middle and going .500 is the worst place to be in pro sports. I don't consider the Steelers a middle of the pack franchise though. The ONLY piece missing right now, and it is a huge piece, is our franchise QB. If we manage just above average QB play this season I think we are looking at a playoff run. If QB play is just average or below, probably not making the playoffs.

The folowing season will play out under it's own merits. And so on...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it's Mike's Legacy.....well, Rooney's to be honest. Rooney has made this bed

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Hard to predict where we fall. It all rests on Wilson and the O line. Does Russell have one more good season left in him? Thats the difference between playoff team and a 500 team.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I can imagine some of the post if things go South early. Fans will be saying we suck so might as well lose out and get a high pick.

Never know with a Mike Tomlin led team. Just look at our last 6 games last season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    at this point,I prefer a 5-12 season that to be stuck in the middle again....I mean,if they are stuck in the middle again,they need a true rebuilding after the season.Enough is enough!

It mean nothing,winning the last 4 games in a season to finish at 9-8 if this is to have the same problem the year after.

In fact, it was the worst thing that could happen at the end of 2022 since they were stupid and blind enough to keep Canada another year, even though the offense had been under 20 points in 4 of the last 6 games in 2022, but they were blindsided by the 5-1 record

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Just looking at this year and beyond; the way I see it, we're halfway through the rebuild that started when Khan took the helm at GM. The OL is about 3/5th to bout 4/5th rebuilt and we're missing a WR1 or WR2 depending on Pickens development here on out. Defensively, I think the LB's, edge and secondary is built for the long-haul, for the most part, probably missing a CB or two (this year and beyond). Outside of Benton, I think we still need a few more long-term options. This year they may have enough with Ogunjobi and Heyward to go along with Benton, nonetheless. I think this defense has a great chance at being a top 5 defense. Ultimately, the hope is for Fields to develop into that guy for the long-term. But until that happens, I'm looking at QB's in the 2025 draft, and due to such hole, there is zero way possible that I'm trading away a first round pick for Aiyuk or any other WR.

So with all of that said, I'm thinking 10-7 and an early exit from the playoffs. I suspect that the team will indeed be better due to QB and the defense, but the schedule down the stretch is such a killer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I don't blame Canada. I blame Tomlin for hiring the bum, and sticking with him as long as he did. Bottom line, the Steelers will remain mediocre for as long as Tomlin is HC, with or without a "franchise" QB

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think it's a this year team but a building of let's see what these players can do. at least on offense. defense is in pretty good shape and will have to carry us at first. this offense is new. not just in coaching but in players put in positions to succeed or fail. if they fail they don't see another contract, if they succeed they will build with them. this should be a transition year for the future. the Missouri offense, SHOW ME. the money we are going to have next year will go to those that succeed this year. i believe that's why even najee is a wait and see. same as warren. same as friermuth. same as the WR's. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

when there was GOOD MUSIC!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I am loving listening to all these TV and youtube talking heads to include many Steelers fans overlooking this team. Russ is going to cook this season and the naysayers will all of a sudden be singing a different tune.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    There is still good music out there. It just doesn't reach the radio like it did before.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah let's not blame Rooney who knew him the most

15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    With the current set-up, we either sink or swim which is preferable to endless treading water.

16. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Oh, I blame him too

• Like Like x 1
  17. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    3 mediocre years ,tomlin extended for 3 more years ,guess the standard will remain the standard. The standard being the best fans in football keep suffering p.ss poor coaching again .Past time for a change .

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This is a good roster outside the QB position. Yes they need a WR and they are getting a bit old on the defensive line but other than that it’s a good team

A tier 1-2 QB would transform the outlook for the Steelers. How they get one is another matter

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Most of the league is going to be stuck in the middle until Mahomes retires.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    How about they get through this season first? Is that to much to ask?

We will see how they fare. They have the most difficult strength of schedule in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1