1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers should make the trade for Justin Fields

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 15, 2024.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Much rather draft 3rd, 4th 5th

Rattler from SC. He will sling, thread and low interceptions. He was benched for a guy who did a little more for TD, yet a lot more interceptions. concerns are technique, which is teachable.

Michael Pratt. Concern is he can't thread and relies on his IQ/read.

Joe minton..... lots of talent. But he's afraid of the pocket unless the pressure is off or his team is up by ten. Which is a reason why so many times he was benched...... I wouldn't touch the gut until the 6th.

And sorry but bo nix will be gone in the second. Probably won't even make it closer to us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i think they will still try to bring in Fields. Let him beat out Wilson - for 2024, or if not, sit a year and try to beat him out for next season. that is how you do it in the NFL - you are not handed anything, you WIN it. Seems that pansy Kenny could not handle that, his little ego.

So, I think the Steelers would love to ink Fields - solves the longer term problem. AND - chances are , Wilson misses some time in 2024 - that is what usually happens. Fields will get a chance to play some

But - I doubt it will happen, which, in that case, means that Tannehill will fit in nicely as Wilson's back up for 2024 and maybe beyond. a Charlie Batch like back up. Mature, can play and can win, if called on

We will address then, the 2025 season when it is upon us.

3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I'm not for Fields on a high pick, for a 6th or 7th, maybe. The option does not have to be exercised, but like GB did with Love can be approached in a way to benefit both parties. You used a pick that has a high probality of failure anyway, you talk to him about extending 2 years at a back up price. It may work, may not, worth it at a low pick trade.

4. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I paid money to watch Sugar Ray vs Hagler on the big screen

• Like Like x 1
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

they need a backup QB

6. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Concerning Fields:

Claypool believed in the Fields dream like others on this board and went to Chicago, within a month he quit on the team and demanded a trade, say all you want about Claypool I am there w you on the criticism and pile on but that, in my opinion, is damming for Fields, something ain't right... Claypool saw it

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is exactly what said in another thread. It would be not only folly, but poor management of resources.

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same was said for Trubisky, and it's simply not true. QBs make the offense look better, or worse in the most. Look at the Texans....people said how terrible their team was....had no weapons....brought in CJ....bam....instant weapons. Hell just look at us last year. Mason comes in the whole freaking offense changed in just that little time. The Qb has a huge impact on how well weapons look. History shows this.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    You had me laughing at “strip club in Meadville”

I’m just imagining the cast of characters

Although probably not the Amish

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    If Chicago doesn’t want Fields and so far no other team wants Fields why do we want Fields let alone enough to waste draft picks

Something here is illogical

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    There are about two dozen FA quarterbacks available

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    But you wrote that they don't view him as a 1 year rental and more of a 2-4 year starter who can take them to the SB. It can't rightly be both. If you think he's more than a 1 year rental than you sign him to a multi-year contract, right? Why would you let a him test the market?

13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If it wasn't for Tannehill we don't make the playoffs last year. In the last game of the year he outplayed Trevor Lawrence to put the Steelers in the playoffs and eliminated the Jags.

14. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Now, 2 elders won't work.

15. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I think it's he was a one hit wonder, as well what he wants to be paid. A team would be better off seeing what a 7th round pick would do.

16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I cannot confirm, but the rumor was there was mob involvement, and a friend of mine who was supposedly 'in the know' said low level at best, but likely. The local dancers were anyone who could or would dance topless, some seemed to have been laid off from the steel mill, lol. The weekend ladies were brought in from the 'burgh, Cleveland, etc. thus the mob rumors. The Amish must have had their own club in crawford/erie county, but who knows, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019

because anything you pay him lowers Denvers hit, let it play out and then make your bid.

18. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    you have what you believe is a QB capable of leading you to a SB and you only sign him to a 1 year deal so the other team takes a slightly bigger cap hit?

That's just silly.

I started this convo by saying I'm not sure what they're thinking, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Nothing in Wilson's history suggests he would mentor a young quarterback. He's going to do his own thing.

Tannehill isn't competing with anybody. The idea of signing him is for him to be a backup. You think he would cause a problem, but Fields wouldn't? Come on.

Also, they would have to pick up the fifth-year option on Fields before the season, try to sign him long-term while he is sitting watching Wilson, or both guys become free agents after the season.

The crybaby stuff is just evidence that you are among the members of the fan base who were conned by the leaks from the team.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Until they get him on a longer-term deal, he is a rental.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fields would be a free agent after the season unless they pick up the fifth-year option. That is why it doesn't make sense to trade for him if they aren't going to play him unless the price is very, very cheap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Is it true what they say? That the size of a man's hands are in direct proportion to his ego.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

If they want Fields it’s going to cost at least a 2nd rd pick. Maybe that comes down as the draft gets closer.

24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019

No, they had an opportunity to get a guy cheap and try to right an offense that has been an embarrassment so several years. IDK how the contract could have been worded, but as it stands we pay minimum and have cash to invest in other areas, Russ is working off an old contract that he is still being paid for by those who did not want him. What would you suggest, they throw money at him like Atlanta did to Kirk? Maybe a deal like TB did to Baker? Why? If he does ok they can still sign him, franchise him, what ever. Why go all in when you don't have to, on an aging guy may indeed already be past a point of being really good, and is just OK.

Next year will be that, this year you have pretty much a free trial, take advantage of it and fill the holes you can, if his market price is 50 million a year on a 3 or 4 year deal are we going to do it? IDK, hope not, but he signed the deal for this year and this is all we need to focus on.

25. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Bears are better off keeping Fields to compete with the next QB the Bears draft.