1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers should hire this guy as DC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 15, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Former Arizona DC James Bettcher not sure of his status since Arians retired. He had a top 5 defense twice, they led the NFL in sacks a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If only I could state yes. No for me.

This quote from an article by Andy Benoit of Sports Illustrated mirrors that of Butler's coaching scheme;

"Like Bowles, Bettcher believes in versatility and aggression. He continued much of what Bowles installed, but added his own flavors. Bowles loved to blitz up the middle; Bettcher has built extensive blitz packages off the edge. Bowles played a lot of pure matchup coverages; Bettcher, over time, has diversified, playing significant snaps of both man and zone."

One more caveat to those good Arizona defensive years; Tyrann Matheiu and Tony Jefferson are in a different league compared to Sean Davis and Mike Mitchell currently. Even assuming we draft someone like Ronnie Harrison or Justin Reid, that still does not solve the issues of players playing in positions that hinder their abilities like Javon Hargrave and Stephon Tuitt.

A 4-3 defensive coordinator is what is needed given Tomlin's continuation to complete his ideal form of the Tampa 2.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Well, there is no doubt we missed Shazier, but we are going to have to really look at our D and see what needs to be done. Yes, the O cost us some points, maybe as many as 14, but there is still no reason that offense puts up 31 points against us. NONE

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

There in lies the issue. Losing Shazier did far more than just cripple us from a morale standpoint.

Losing Shazier essentially threw Butler's defensive playcalling into absolute flux. There really was never a contingency plan put in place for events like this. Then again, Shazier's possible career ending injury was not foreseen either.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlins had over 10 years to complete his ideal form of the Tampa 2. How long do we wait? He "obviously " isn't putting his stamp on this Defense so bring in a DC with his own plan.....cause surely ours isn't working.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm all for change. But it has to be change for the better. This sounds like more of the same.

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It's time for change, sometimes you just need to shake it up some.

8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I don't know who you bring in. Obviously some of the reservations we had with Butler replacing Lebeau after sitting behind him for so long are proving to be valid. That and the arguements of not having the horses etc... Too much constant ending in similar results when it absolutely should not. Maybe it's an ownership thing and it's hard to argue against the success of the franchise... But the same old product is producing the same old results. The only real change in the culture over the last while is an increasing acceptability of drama from coaches/players and that is worrisome to say the least.

Bottom line, whatever coaching is taking place in my opinion gets masked here and there do to the team having a good deal of talent. This side covers the inadequacies of that side. This particular positional group covers up for the ineptness of the other, so on and so forth. It's consistently inconsistent to say the least and that's not being addressed and folks aren't being held accountable.

I like Tomlin but am pretty over his approach at this time. I don't know how he refreshes his message without causing more drama with his vets and staff that are no doubt used to the standard that has been set. Maybe clear out all coordinators and a few position coaches but if everything comes from in house, there will be hardly a culture change. Too much being coddled going on with coaches and players in my opinion. These kids aren't being put into a position to win period. Injuries happen blah blah blah but this team lacks the what to do in those situations... It just turns into a "oh damn moment" next man up scenario where the scenario never changes. No creativity, no outside thinking, nothing! If certain personnel can't do their job, there's no philosophy change to help them and it's maddening.

I hate to do it, but look at the ****heads in NE!!! Far less talent across the board. A good amount of their D couldn't supplant our starters... They lose players vital to their mission as well year in and out and guess what? Stats and rankings might change but the wins keep coming. It's asinine that this team refuses to just do what it ****ing takes!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    We don't have the coach or staff to handle that situation plain and simple. Next man up is what it is, but there's more to it then that. You have to schematically be flexible in order to mask it or soften the blow or whatever you want to call it. The mentality is next man up and the excuse is lack of execution. No change no creativity no desire to take the stinkiest tird in the bowl and put it in position to reap positive outcomes. The team refuses to do so top down.

10. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Then that is irresponsible on Butler’s part and a take I doubt he or his boss would be willing to stand behind. There needs to be a contingency for every player on the field. Especially Shazier who is known to miss multiple consecutive weeks throughout his short career.... whether it be career ending or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Go get rex ryan

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well considering it can't get any worse than our last 2 playoff blowouts....why the **** not.
    At least he will make things interesting. Deep down inside I don't see him as the answer but I know he deserves a shot before Butler gets another.

13. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Sexy rexy??? He ain't in house, but I don't see him taking a back seat to DC either... That would be fun though.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We shouldn't even be thinking about staying in house

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I've said that a few times today... 100% agree. Not sure I want in house with a new OC either regardless of Ben's input and if that's the straw that breaks his possible come"back" for another year, **** him!

My only reservations on any of it is even if they search high and low and stay outside of the O'l faithful pool, is Tomlin gonna screw that up by putting problems under his thumb? He's a good coach, but he isn't above the BS that gets increasingly worse year after year around here. Like I said earlier, maybe it's ownership although I don't think the undisciplined non team mentality of individual stature would've flown a few years ago, but it's different these days. Can't knock em into the dirt in practice, can't yell at em, can't do a lot of the fruitful fundamental things that always worked in this new generation.

Lotta lack of respect these days and unfortunately our team don't debark the idiots doing it to set an example and won't straighten out coaches that ain't holding up their end of their units lack of progression. It's simply maddening

16. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I would consider Steve Spagnuolo.
    He was DC for Giants who beat Pat's. He should be available now.

17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We should just rush 1 and drop 10 every time lol

18. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We dont? Couldnt tell lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Dom Capers

HACK

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016

So Matt Patricia must have had a good contingency plan when Dont’a Hightower went down.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

absolutely agree hack. also a veteran DB coach and a vet LB coach.

we knew we had DB trouble early on and right before the season started we made all these moves. that is entirely too late. it should have been addressed sooner. kevin colbert isn't without blame in all of this either. we knew early on CB was a problem but let it play out and finally did something about it. safety they also knew there was a problem and did very little about it. it killed us. capers DB's create turnovers and always have. his defenses create sacks. i'd have him here in a heartbeat if i'm art2. :cool:

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I would go after Gus Bradley the chargers DC is available this year, and vikings DC Edwards would be a good target, and here are a few other ones without a contract for 2018, the eagles hit the jackpot signing swartz.........

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...gus-bradley-other-key-coordinators-are-18-fas

23. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd look at teams that have had some success, and then see if there's anyone on the staff that I think might fit the bill.

One of those guys is Chris Wilson, current defensive line coach for the Eagles. His resume looks fairly impressive to me.
    http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/coaches/chris-wilson/9c58664f-9d6e-4e41-a0a9-3098e3a22446

Another candidate I might consider would be Marion Hobby, defensive line coach of the Jags
    http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches/Marion-Hobby/5e24d665-590c-4ec5-8f17-4cb9a38f4e80

24. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    ^ should be our 2018 head coach, with whatever D staff he wants.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Patricia
    Capers
    DelRio
    Ryan
    Fox
    ...there are others.