1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers should draft a receiver in round 1

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Feb 20, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This sportswriter makes some good points the defense will not be dominant next season anyway, so they should bolster the offense. He also says it's the offense turn to carry the load players on offense will get on the field sooner than defensive players under Dick LeBeau. They need to get Ben another weapon while he's still in his prime, they will have to try to outscore teams as young players on defense get up to speed.http://trib.me/1eOMCCY Link not working but it was in the Pittsburgh Tribune Review.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
  3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I hate to toot my own horn, but this is what I have been arguing for some time. I don't care that the receiver comes in round 1, but if Watkins or Evans are there...no brainer. To me you MUST get an impact player here on offense at WR. This could be through free agency as well, but for me, you need to get BOTH units into the top 10 to compete for a title. Our offense was 16th in scoring, our D 14th in points given. It only takes about three and a half points a game on average to get into the top 10 as an offense. A stud WR gets us there I think, and gets us with some improved performance from our young D line and LBs to 10-6 and the playoffs.

5. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    why don't you guys like the young wr's we have with a year under their belts already? now you want new young guys that have to learn. bens years keep ticking away.:smiley1::cool:

7. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Big difference in talent IMO..

8. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    For me, I think there are just a couple of guys I couldn't pass on in the draft at the WR position. Watkins and Evans are the 2 I want. I really haven't made my mind up yet on Lee, but at the moment, I think it would come down to what else was on the board.

All of that being said....I am not opposed to bringing in UFA vet WR either. If that guy is someone we can afford and will make an impact for us, I could be all for it. It doesn't even necessarily need to be a #2 if the front office trusts Wheaton and Cotchery to be the #2 and #3. For instance, one guy I would be willing to look at is Ted Ginn Jr. That being said, he special team contributions are huge and he can still stretch a defense with his speed. As the #4, he allows Brown to stop returning punts and can be used for particular plays. Is he my first choice? No, not in any way shape or form, but he could bring value at a good price. I saw him a lot this year in Carolina and I think for him, it is about HOW you use him more than anything else.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm torn Mac, I agree with you, we have guys in the pipeline, anyone we draft will take a back seat to them this season, especially Wheaton whom I believe will still be a very good player. Wish we knew more about Brown and Moyers development.

But I really like Matthews and the local boy, Robinson, I have my doubts about Evans and Benjamin, especially at pick 15. Matthews and Robinson could be had in the second round, although I have seen some that think Robinson may go late first.

Not knowing where Brown and Moyer are at makes it difficult to say whether they should draft a WR though.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree. The only WR I see that is good value at 15 is Watkins,after that I think you can find better value later on for sure. IMO everyone else is a reach and that includes the TEs ,sorry Ebroniacs.
    As far as Moye goes I just have a hunch with this kid. Height ✅ Speed✅ Hands✅ He just needs to bulk up some,gain some experience and a chance. He seems to have a ton of heart and you can't teach that.

11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I agree and disagree with the article. I do think it would be a good idea to draft a WR early (although I disagree with the guys he likes for us), but I don't like his patchwork of one-year rentals defensive idea.

With the emergence of AB as a legit #1 and Bell as a 3 down feature back, an improving O-Line that will be regaining their Pro Bowl center, and an offensive scheme that is finally starting to click (particularly with #7 in the no-huddle), we might possess a top 10 offense already. Adding a weapon makes a lot of sense, since it could put us over the top. Of the guys who could be available to us I like Marquis Lee and Eric Ebron the best (I'm starting to warm up to the idea that we might take a TE early). Lee's game transitions seamlessly to the NFL level. He can easily beat NFL corners one on one, and beat NFL safeties deep. I personally think he has superstar potential. Ebron is a wild card since being a TE puts him up against LB's and Safeties who he could easily beat one on one at the NFL level. If we do go offense in round 1, we have to get a guy that will contribute immediately, and I think this fact eliminates Benjamin as a possibility. Maybe even Evans too to a degree. Matthews, Robinson, and even Moncrief are more polished and NFL ready than either of the aforementioned "big" WR's IMO.

Regarding the defense... I really dislike Starkey's "patchwork" defense idea. I do think short term FA's are okay, but I'm thinking of guys like Delmas or Cody instead of Foote or Ike. We need to get younger on D, and signing guys like Foote and Ike will only retard the progress of our younger players that we should be drafting to "reload" our defense. You just can't deprive a struggling defense of top tier talent because it isn't performing like it used to. A rookie CB should be starting in 2014 whether it is opposite Allen, or in the nickel. Shark should be the starting SS in 2015. An early round ILB could start immediately. You get the point. Basically I'd rather struggle with young guys that have a chance to get better, than struggle with a bunch of old scrubs whose talent is leaving them by the second. A good combo of young players and solid (under 30) FA's should get the defense back on track and trending in a positive direction. It could even improve them into a top 10 or so defense once again.

I apologize for the novel. I just realized how long this post got...

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I think you made a great point. We already have our No.1 receiver and a pro- bowl player coming back and a scheme that is clicking. So why not bolster the D. Imagine how much better our O can be if our D actually made stops and created turnovers and gives our O better field position. Defense still wins championships I think we were just reminded of that a few weeks back. You can't be anymore prolific then Denver's O and they were destroyed. Wow! Look at all the big receivers they had.... I'm not saying we shouldn't draft one but it doesn't need to be at 15.There are plenty of WRs to go around in this draft. We don't necessarily need the "best" one ,we just need the best one for us and he can be found later on. Our draft history proves that.

13. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm totally alone (I think) and will get shredded but I question if AB is a true #1.. He has great numbers but do opposing D's fear him? I don't know..

Maybe I'm saying this because I feel like I'm seeing some diva in him. I just don't envision him in the same way that I do Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Demarryius Thomas, Dez Bryant.. Guys that can make a play with DB's hung all over them. Call me crazy but I want one of those.

14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I hear what you're saying Numbah, and I don't think you're totally wrong. All of those players you mentioned are considerably bigger than AB, and kinda fit the same mold as one another. If that is the mold for a #1 receiver, then he isn't one. I just think he is a different type of threat than those guys, and it doesn't necessarily mean he isn't a #1. To me, being a #1 means that you are a guy that the defense has to plan for, you are incredibly consistent, and you are the guy the QB leans on to make the big play for the team. I think he does that. And addressing your question, I do think the opposing teams fear him... as a WR and a PR.

I don't blame you for wanting a guy like the ones you mentioned haha I wouldn't mind that one bit. I just don't think there is a WR like that in this years draft, and you cant afford to pay a WR like that while both AB and Ben are on the team. Just cant have that much money tied up in a QB and 2 WR's.

15. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I see your point..

I do feel that there are a number of guys in this draft, especially in the 2nd-4th round range, that could become like one of those aforementioned WR's.. Guys like Matthews, Robinson, Moncrief and Coleman could at least become an Alshon Jeffrey type WR IMO. That said, I think it could elevate AB's play as well.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with everything you say and you make a really good point about being able to afford another WR at 15. The salary cap does indeed factor into a teams selection it has too. You just can't allocate too much money into one position nowadays. Which is the reason why we lose out on our own free agents sometimes.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I just read that the Jets may look to cut Stephen Hill. Any interest?

19. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Draft picks don't count as much against the cap as they used to. I think we over-value AB.. That's my opinion.

20. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm sorry but starkey is an idiot. Strengthen your strength.... patch job the holes in defense...... takes nines years to play in DL defense.......Add weapons and outscore your oppoenent.... Ask Denver how that worked out.

Here's a fact: 5 times in superbowl history the #1 offense went up against the #1 defense and 4 times the #1 defense won the title!!!

Defense wins championships and our defense needs retooling. Plus we have always sucked at getting WR high in the draft but always found solid ones later.Rd. 2 is plenty high enough to grab a WR..... Maybe even Rd 3.

Cajun-

21. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I am going to be sort of all over the place with my response.

First as far as our O being our strength, I still think it is a misconception. We were 16th in points scored, and 14th in points given up. The reality is we need help in both areas because BOTH reflected EXACTLY what we were...average.

Second, your right, it didn't work out for Denver, but IMO that doesn't necessarily mean WR/TE is not a need.

Third, I don't think anyone on here is promoting that we don't retool the D only that the O needs help as well, but maybe I am oversimplifying things.

Fourth, Super Bowl. Your talking about the Super Bowl? From my perspective, we are 2 years away from the Super Bowl. I want to improve the team and jump to 10-6. Year after goal of 12-4, but this team by then should be retooled and ready to compete.

Fifth, again I think this is a multiple year build. I don't think we HAVE to take a WR in round 1...2....or 3, but there are a couple of guys I wouldn't pass over just because we have other needs. Why? Because WR is a need as well. Even if you argue Brown is our #1, getting the #2 right is VERY important.

Lastly, I agree with you about the draft. The FO must do a good job of evaluating value. Slot the players...how many would you take at 15? How many in round 2 or 3? I'm not even opposed to just bringing in another vet for the WR position, but those decisions must be made based on what they think is going to happen with Cotchery, Wheaton, Moye and J. Brown.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Db's and LB's get playmakers, speed,
    agressive passionate football players.

23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think you are totally out of place thinking this, but yes statistically, AB is a #1 WR. I think making an argument that he doesn't fit the mold, is like saying Marvin Harrison didn't fit the mold. Like you, I think we need a 6'3+ 220+ guy. I think we need him to help take some of the pressure AB will certainly face this year.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    No I know they don't hurt us immediately but it's when it comes time for that second contract and after years of developing them is when it really hurts to lose them. I think where in the draft they are selected and the position they play factors in financially when that time comes. There is a going rate for top players at their positions. As far as AB his numbers speak for themselves. His size shouldn't be held against him. Hines wasn't the biggest or fastest...how many Hines Ward's would you love to have on your team?

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think AB answered the same question we had about him last year. can he be a number one? yes, we found out. shame on a team for not double teaming him. that will be their loss. I look at him as a steve smith type, without the injuries. still capable of taking over a game. everything after that is a plus. you add a heath miller and bell to that mix and it will be hard to cover all these guys and double AB. that only leaves the question of cotchery which we know can get it done from the slot and wheaton beating a guy one on one. so essentially we are saying a #1 pick is going to be head and shoulders above wheaton, which I don't think he will be.

I really think our biggest unknown is how and if pouncey can rebound back to form. that is a big uncertainty that we don't know and everyone is taking for granted. I have to think o-line is still a question mark. can they be better next year with an unknown pouncey and can they do better in our offense straight up without the help of the no huddle in a conventional role? they are still going to be learning a new scheme again.

I still think a big WR if they want to incorporate one, could already be here for red zone use. if that's what they want one for then you don't take that at pick 15. you certainly don't bring in a new receiver that is unknown and shelf the talent you know works.

are we going to take catches off of AB?

are we going to use heath more again like in 2012, his record setting year, now that he's healed up and back to normal?

do we take carries and catches off of bell? he should be getting more actually.

do we take 10 TD's off of cotchery?

can wheaton do a better job than sanders is the only question I see. can moye or brown be a big target in the RZ? those are the questions that we should be looking at in terms of getting a receiver at 15. who loses touches?:cool: