1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers second round target?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There's definitely something to Bowser. The thing is, I'm not yet sure whether he will be best as a edge guy, or as a pure LB. There's just not enough tape out there that I could find. I found 2 games - Memphis 2016 & Vandy 2015, plus some highlights. I even looked for games of offensive players who played against Houston, and didn't find much.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/steven-taylor-vs-oklahoma-2016/

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/steven-taylor-vs-cincinnati-2016/

saw him when watching Elandon Roberts last year and Steven Taylor is a guy I liked last year who is coming out in this years draft and is a good prospect in his own right. Noticed Taylor too when watching Roberts. Bowser is #81 seems to like the one white sleeve, one no sleeve look lol

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/elandon-roberts-vs-navy-2015/

one game from 2015

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks for the links Turtle. I hand't really thought about watching tapes from other Houston defenders because I didn't expect there to be much. Taylor is not a guy who was on my radar, but maybe he should be. Anyway, Bowser is a tough read. I occasionally see flashes of the pass rush ability, but they are infrequent. On the two 2016 tapes of Taylor, Bowser dropped in coverage most of the time, and looked pretty good doing it. The Div 1A basketball experience shows. You'll sometimes see him mirroring guys the same way he would in man to man defense on a basketball court. It's funny - watching him is the opposite of watching most 3-4 OLB prospects. Usually you're watching college 4-3 DEs, and have to look at overall agility and lateral movement to project whether they can drop without being complete liabilities. With Bowser, his coverage skills are advanced compared to other edge rushing prospects. I still wonder if his best position in the NFL isn't a Sam backer in a 4-3.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I gotta say that my favorite second round target is TE Adam Shaheen.

I know we need an OLB and DB early, but if Shaheen is there in round 2, I'm all over. For a man his size, he can move. Good hands room. I know the blocking can be improved but I would love to see him in the B&G.

5. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    he is a junior... steelers love their juniors.

6. Emperor Lebaeu

Emperor Lebaeu Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    RD 1 Watt
    RD2 S. Jones OR Nicholson

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    If Sidney Jones could be had at #62, that would be fantastic.

8. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Rd. 2 Pick I'd love Desmond King. What we need is a slot corner and thats Desmond. He could transition to safety ( per Mayock ) but I'd keep him in the slot, upgrade Gay, then Move Gay to Safety as a veteran Back-up and cut Golden.

Cajun

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    No denying his great talent but that achilles injury could be troubling. I'd wait to our 3rd rd comp..... He's gone for this year and that injury could ( or could not ) have lasting ramifications due to the requirements of the CB position.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Same.

Tyus Bowser definitley is not easy for one to place as an edge rusher.

He can set the edge well and drop in space. It is his raw ability in pass rushing that will have some wondering though. I understand many 3-4 teams ask their 'backers to do quite a bit but more often than not they simply pin their ears to get after it; something even a second round selection for the Steelers is quite skeptical.

If anything, a better question could be how often would he be used on the edges and in the inside? He is athletic enough to rush the quarterback but good enough to drop in space.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I surmise the Eagles would nab him by that point though.

Philidelphia has their guy (at least after one season) in Carson Wentz. Building for the future allows Jones to take a back seat to learn the nuances of the position without having eithet side endanger his development by pressing him too early either physically or mentally.

Again though... this is assuming that Philly does not select a corner in round one.