1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers put in a request to interview Giants DC Patrick Graham

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 24, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It looks like he has some Patriots ties ...

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Token outside minority candidate?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Good coach. Wonder if Minkah likes him. At least they are looking outside...

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Or giving the appearance of looking outside.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Never heard of him, what was the Giants defense ranked this year?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    but at least he will have learned about the interview process. very valuable. :facepalm::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    So true, but I would stay away from any coaches from the Giants, or Jets, what have any of them done.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    https://www.google.com/

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this is window dressing i'm afraid. they have who they want here already. the mara's which are pretty much the rooney's they do things hand in hand with the mutual family members will make this look like a real process of looking but i'm afraid it's a done deal. i'm not against austin taking over. they hired grady brown last season to help with the secondary. he now has a year under austin and MT in the defense and will take over those duties while austin moves to DC. pretty much planned if you read the tea leaves. they let butler play out his contract and retire. now we have a void at linebacker coach which i hope doesn't just get handed to jerry o. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You know, I normally would have agreed with this sentiment. But recently I saw the Redskins’ 2013 coaching staff included the current head coaches of the Rams,49ers, and Packers. Shannahan went from there to Cleveland to Atlanta. Normally those would be red flags. But he seems like a pretty good coach. So, maybe this guy has talent but his team didn’t.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Worse than us lol so it makes sense to hire :)

13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Maybe he is Kent Grahmns son :shrug:;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'll agree with your last part Mac. I hope Jerry moves on with his life's work. The first part I won't agree or disagree with you because we had a civil discussion about it previously and while it may be window dressing who's to say that he doesn't blow the doors off the interview and all involved walk away having to rethink things? Stanger things have happened .

• Like Like x 1
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Mike Golic was saying last week on the radio that head coaching interviews can last well over 8 hrs, where you are in a room with the team leadership talking over everything. I imagine a coordinators job would involve less time interviewing but yes it is valuable. Don't want to be Antonio Brown about the process. F-U, F-U, you're cool, F-U, I'm the greatest give me the damn job, oh and F-U too.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Patrick Graham would likely do a better job of running the defense than Tomlin, but while Tomlin is HC the defense is his to run. The DC is irrelevant since Lebeau retired.

Giants fans generally like Graham which says a lot on a team that bad. Graham seems flexible in that he played mostly man in Miami (most in the NFL) but then zone in NYG. How bad his defense was in Miami is a concern- it was dead last.

The only reason I could see an outside DC being brought in is to give the illusion of change. Only an established coach with a long track record would get any input into the defense I think we all agree.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Now that is cold. Hall monitor? Hall monitor? Bueller? Bueller?

• Like Like x 1
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I would think Austin already satisfies that requirement.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i just think they have made their minds up as early as last year. they can do all the interviews they want but i sure don't see it changing what they have planned. i think the defense played better when austin took over during butlers covid week. he's been in the talk for a couple of years. who know's maybe they go with the guy from the giants. i doubt it though. changing faces of coaches that haven't proven a winning season or top unit is fairly redundant i would think. some people interview well but when the rubber hits the road things don't seem as good as promised. our head coach is living proof. i bet he hit the interview out of the park with his tomlin speak. this is a results driven league. well most of it. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That's what drives me nuts about the combine and prospects meeting with teams. It's basically a job interview where they have to lie to everyone. So tell me Baker are you excited to join the Cleveland Browns? Yes sir it's a young team with a bright future and I look forward to joining them to work towards bringing a championship to Cleveland. I want someone just once to express how they truly feel. Hell no I don't want to play for Cleveland or even tell you the truth guys I'm hoping the Bucs draft me so Brady can win me a ring.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Has to be external, Austin already works for the Steelers so they need another outside minority candidate to comply with the Rooney rule

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

For that matter, McVay, Shanahan and LaFleur are all not responsible for the Football Team's ineptitude. That stems from upstairs in the mold of the Snyder Family. For that matter, losing all three excellent Head Coaches while Dan himself toils in futility and mediocrity?!...

Could have not happened to a more disgusting scumbag of a person! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Ah ok I thought it could be either or

24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    What if they can't get one to come to an interview because it's an insult and waste of time? Do they just have to prove they tried to give the pointless interview to satisfy league rules?

25. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    No idea, but that’s the rule. I would think most assistant coaches would be happy to do the interview for experience, even if they feel they have no chance of getting the job. Nothing like the real thing to test yourself.