1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers offseason to do list

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The game earlier this year and last week were night and day, man, night and day. Thats the type of game we need to play against them but have the offense put up 30 points.

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I get what your saying and yes they were two different games but still we had no answer for Brady then, he went 19-26. I know we were within 1 with our backup QB and Blounts running was what was the difference that time but I am just saying even then we could stop Brady in the little that he passed. I am not disputing they were different games cause they were but my point is Brady still was on he didn't have to pass 40+ time like he just did last week to beat us. :cool:

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And if they win the SB we will likely be their opponent again for the Thursday night opener, any odds on us starting our season with another loss to them in foxboro???

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They held him to 222 yards, that's a great job. He threw for 387 yards last week. Guys we're college open last week, blown assignments, complete utter disaster. I don't see any comparison at all between the two games other than the fact that they lost both games.

Isn't it the two SB participants that play the opener?

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It has been conference opponents several times in the past, in 04 it was the colts and the SB champs patriots, in 06 the SB champs steelers played the dolphins, in 2013 it was the SB champ ravens and the broncos, in 2015 it was the steelers and SB champ patriots, whatever the reason it's not always the two SB teams that kickoff the season...

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes your right these were two different games with 2 different game plans. Week 7 they came in wanting to run on us which they did for 140 yards compared to last weeks 57 yards. Brady still went 19-26, if they wanted to pass more they could have and still had the numbers. Yes two different games but we didn't stop Brady it was just different cause in the 1st game we couldn't stop Blount.

This to me isn't about the games being the same as far as stats and who had them it is the fact that when Brady wants to pass on us he can.....just look at his numbers vs us. Any time he wants.......any time that SOB can destroy this D and I am real tired of seeing it. Kinda funny how the teams that do beat him are the teams that hit him....Giants come to mind and really look what the Texans did to him 2 weeks ago.....

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I 100% guarantee will will not lose to them next year in Foxboro.

8. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Someone that can rush the quarterback is our first priority. When we depend upon a 39 year old guy to be our best, it's time to get this position filled.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Unless something drastic happens with Green, I think he's done. If there's any kind of inkling that he's going to be a permanent issue with concussions, the Steelers need to eat the cap hit and be done with it. Put the money they'll save toward a shut down corner. Drafting a corner in the early rounds has proven for many teams to be a crapshoot. Pay for a shut down corner and draft OLB early.

Edit: and not to be a homer, but it sure would be nice to have a Gamecock on this team. Gilmore would be a nice choice! :cool:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    How so? We will just go over there, bend over and spread our buttcheeks lol. Until we actually beat them, I will guarantee a loss

11. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Steelers play the pats in pittsburgh next season. Also the patriots play the falcons in foxboro next yr. If the patriots win its a lock that the opener is falcons-patriots in foxboro.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Game is in Pittsburgh

• Like Like x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    As far as WR's, is Wheaton going to be gone for sure? I know he underwent shoulder surgery recently, which isn't a good way to go into FA. If this has been discussed on this board and I missed it, disregard.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nothing is for sure but he doesn't show as much upside as other young guys. Add that to Bryant potentially coming back and he is odd man out.

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Thank you.
    I thought he showed some potential the last couple seasons before 2016.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think their game plan was to run, I think we just did a better job against the pass. I don't think when Bill sat down to draw up a game plan that he said,"you know what, even know we can pass all day on these guys, I'm going to go ball control and run it because Landry scares the crap out of me and I want to keep him off the field. So we'll run it, and keep the score close, instead of passing and obliterating them" :lolol:

19-26 222 yards is pretty perdestrian. Ben would get raked over the coals for those numbers. Against Brady, that's a great job by the D.

Yeah, I think he's gone, cheaper options with more upside on the team. I think Ayers is going to be a player for us, think he will put up good numbers next season.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And why do you have an avatar of Roethlisberger with olives on his fingers?

• Like Like x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He's dropping crying Jordan faces lol just YouTube Turkish butcher for original

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Agreed 222 for Brady is nothing but he had 2 td's and no picks his QBR was 93 or something and when you run 29 time for 150 you not passing it more. This 2nd game Brady had more completions then he had attempts the 1st game. Still these were 2 different games but just because Brady didn't have big number doesn't mean we stopped him I am pretty sure 19-26 is pretty good for only throwing it 26 times. :smiley1::smiley1:

Either way we still lost both games....:(

20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We need a #2 WR (hopefully Marty, but who knows) clarity at the TE position (Green in or out). Another draft pick at OLB , ILB and secondary. Other than that our offseason hinges around getting AB and Bell signed. Cutting Green could save us 6 million... we could possibly draft a TE earlyish and focus on defense after. Lots of options

If we were to go FA there are some names I kinda like (assuming all make it to FA)

WR - Terrelle Pryor, Michael Floyd, DeSean Jackson - Pryor or Jackson make a lot of sense IMO. Pryor is younger (27 while Jax is 30) but both guys can stretch the field big time. I'd probably prefer Pryor, but either could be a really good second option for us.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not sure where I read it maybe here but Pryor asked Tomlin not to draft him cause he is from the burgh and knew too many friends/family would be a distraction. Not sure if that has changed now with a few years gone by and a position change but I think he is gonna get good size money so he is out of our price range. I say no to Djax I just don't like his attitude and I wounder if he would fit well with AB.

As far as TE goes Green says he is coming back, we have a good back up play in JJ so instead of eating his signing bonus let's give it another year. However if Howard is sitting there at 30 you really have to think long and hard about it. The week he is having at the Senior Bowl might have pushed him into the top 20.

I am leaning more and more to a CB/S and that S from Uconn has gotten my attention. Pass rusher in this class is pretty strong but is a big need so I don't want to wait till round 4-5 and get a what if guy. We are a pretty young team except at a few position and another draft like last year could set us up for the next 4-5 years nicely.

22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    For sure. I would like it if we went with a secondary player early. FS or CB. Pass rusher or ILB needs to be in there somewhere too. Mid round WR. Mid round DE maybe? Flier at the end in the secondary, QB even could be a possibility depending on what we do with Jones

23. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This is just the offensive list, but the are 4 major questions which need to be resolved IMO. I will get to D later.

1. Figure out what is happening with Ben's future. I honestly think if he wins a SB he will retire. His body has been through it and getting one more would probably allow him to go out on top. Remember the year Bettis left. Remember who we lost to the year before? Maybe we can reverse it this year. That year it was the QB who said give me another shot. This time it would be the RB who says give me another shot.

2. Figure out some depth for Bell. Yes, I love him, but you MUST give someone else some carries. You will run the wheels right off the guy. The soft tissue injury he had against the Pats is a result of overuse. Those come from overuse or not stretching and since I believe he stretched out, it probably is the other.

3. Figure out how to get more weapons at WR. Rogers and Coates are 2 guys we have to decide what they are. Ayers is another guy who you have to wonder, can he be a role player. Can they be a #2 should it be required? If the answer is no, we need to draft someone else because we have to mitigate the potential loss of Bryant to suspension. We cannot go into another year with 2 guys as major WR from the PS.

4. Figure out how to fix the TE position and cover yourself from a potential loss of Green. Look, Green, James, and Grimble would be a nice group of 3, but if Green gets hurt again, we have no one stretching the field from the position. Let's draft someone or get another FA in case Green can't go next year or in case he gets hurt again.

Of note, I don't think we have any issues on the line. Finney, Hubbard, Hawkins, Mihalik, and Harris is a really good 2nd unit. In fact, I would say it some of those guys would be starters for other teams should they not be with us. If we fix those I am pretty happy with the Offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I think the Steelers should fire Butler and replace him with Wade Phillips. He sucks as a head coach, but is brilliant as a DC, and now he's out of a job in Denver.

• Like Like x 1
  25. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I dont think we need to close the book on Sammie Coates yet. Everyone on this board loved his production weeks 1-6 when he was catching 40-50 yard bombs from Ben on a weekly basis. He had a pretty severe hand injury that took lots of time to heal. You all do know that a WR needs his hands to perform his skill, right? So give the kid a break, lets see what he has next year with healthy hands, hopefully we sign AB and reign him in some, I think AB is getting a little too star struck for his own good. He was better when he was hungry, now he is acting like a prima dona. I personally dont care for the DIVA attitudes from my football players. Also if Bryant gets back, I think AB, Bryant, Coates, Eli and Ayers make a tremendous nightmare for defenses. Throw in a healthy Green or some athletic TE and Leveon Bell and this offense is lights out. Make no mistake, this offense is loaded with weapons and I think once Ben realizes that he has the best offense any QB at anytime in the history of the NFL has been blessed with, he comes back as fast as possible.