1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers offseason thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 23, 2024.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Washington can do more in the passing game than he did in Canada's JV offense, but I don't expect him to be one of the main receiving threats.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I think they tagged Sneed, but gave him permission to seek a trade.

3. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Can Wash be used in the run game in short yardage and GL situations? Asking opinions obviously. A guy that mobile and that large should be able to gain a yard or 2 when called upon.

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm sure he can with better coaching.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Or a Qb that throws Him the ball. I can think of 5 times just off the top of My head where He was wide open, and the ball was dumped off instead. A few of those times KFP seemed to look right at Him.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  6. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Of course he can. Any player can develop and get better at their craft. Also, in Smith's offense he will be a key player in multi tight end sets and he will be a pivotal player as a blocker, but should also sometimes be available in play action when he slips out and becomes a receiving threat.

I expect Washington to become more productive if used this way in the new offense.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    With Washington size they need to find a way to use him in the red zone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    You quoted a Post By Noah Strackbein

Personally once I see his name I have learned to quit reading

He has never had one original thought nor one actual piece of accurate information

Every post he does has a clickbait title basically says nothing then repeats a click bait from someone else

And then people believe it and post it here

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

pretty much the same with all these so called offseason experts. we can guess too. i'm guessing you will be eating shrimp during one of the what's cookin segments. i have inside information. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    If you are a betting man put your shrimp bet down on weeks 7 & 8

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I won't even bother to click on that, but the source of the talk of the team being out on Fields is an article written for The Athletic by Mike DeFabo. The site has a paywall, but it is really cheap and absolutely worth it.

Here is the relevant passage.

Though Khan and the Steelers have done their due diligence to evaluate the outside options, discussions with league sources paint a clearer picture.

The Steelers are not interested in signing Wilson in the likely event he’s released by the Denver Broncos, a source familiar with the coaching staff’s feelings on the quarterback at this stage of his career told The Athletic.

Additionally, Pittsburgh is not among the teams actively working to trade for Fields, league sources told The Athletic’s Dianna Russini. Pittsburgh is also not pursuing Kirk Cousins or Baker Mayfield in free agency, according to league sources.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I saw a report that Jason Kelce is expected to announce his decision whether he will continue playing or not today. That affects the Steelers because it could take one more team out of the market for a center.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Eagles could just move Landon Dickerson to center.

15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    https://theathletic.com/5315512/202...ce=dailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=11964319

This is a good take on the Steelers' free agent options. They have Patrick Queen at the top of the list. He would be expensive, but absolutely worth it.

D.J. Reader and Tyler Boyd make sense, too. Reader does what they signed Larry Ogunjobi to do, stop the run and push the pocket inside, so maybe sign him and let Ogonjobi go.

Boyd would be a great slot option. Maybe a lean market at receivers inflates his price, but there is also great depth at receiver in the draft.

I would consider Queen, Reader or Boyd, and a backup quarterback to be a fantastic offseason.

This would leave them to address center, offensive tackle, and cornerback in the draft, but one of the stud centers should be there for them at 20 and they can address corner or tackle day two.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I could see Center solved, maybe a CB, LB and QB #2. Center would be my preferred if I could only have 1.

Patrick Queen - I don't understand why they wouldn't pick up the 5th year option on this 28th pick of the 2020 draft? His Market value is just shy of 5/yr $100mil. (Yikes). He would be a good addition but a good Inside LB for a 3-4 should not be hard to find. I think though, you could mark problem solved by adding him.

Devin White had a down year last season. It's a calculated risk....

I can't see Wilkins.

Johnson would be nice, but I think Chicago is going to Tag him.

Connor Williams would be my #1 guy to talk to. That's a solution and he fits the style here. The Market value is not bad.

Out of his 2nd tiers, I still like Center.

Brissett is definitely a possibility, not a sexy one but a good one. He can easily hold down the #2 spot and Kenny and a Draft pick could battle for the #1 and #3 spots should the Steelers fill some holes in FA and decide to go after a QB. If they stick with Mason then same scenario with Mason holding #2.

Fletcher Cox would be interesting. As mentioned he will be on the cheap since he is 33.... but used in a rotation, he could be solid.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I worry that Cox would end up being the same as Ogunjobi, declining and nagged by injuries.

Signing a center would be a good option, too. White and Williams would be a good pair of signings.

Regarding your response to Queen, maybe it shouldn't be that hard to find a good inside linebacker, but it has been a huge problem for the Steelers for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
  20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    You got some good points....

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They will find cap room. They always do. I would be shocked if they didn't restructure Heyward's deal. They will probably do it with Watt's contract, too. They can do enough to get one big-ticket guy if they want to go that route, or maybe three or four solid players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers need to make some moves to clear more cap space, come on Khan make some cuts.

[​IMG]