1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The steelers OC for 2024

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 15, 2024.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    You get what you pay for...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Not always. Tomlin is vastly overpaid for what little he brings to the table

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Mr Rooney should be speaking at the end of the week or next.

6. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    If I remember correctly he was with the Colts coaching staff when Shula was the head coach there, then to the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I agree. Tomlin doesn’t control the budget though.

9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Steelers, 21 coaches.
    Ravens, 38 coaches.

Rooney needs to increase the budget.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

To go from Passing Game Coordinator to NFL Head Coach?! That is one hell of a leap. Reminder that Gary Kubiak is no longer coaching and therefore cannot use the same road that Kyle Shanahan did via Mike Shanahan for San Fran. In addition, the history of non Coordinator based Coaches who become Head Coaches is very unfavorable.

Kline will be a Head Coach.... in time. For now, he needs to be developed as an OC first. Reason being?! A Coordinator, be they Offensive or Defensive, is working with the entirety of that side of the ball. This essentially grooms candidates like Ben Johnson to be Head Coaches for proper, efficient and proficient communication across a large group of people is essential.

Kline doesn't posses this skill yet currently for a Passing Game Coordinator only works with a handful of people. Getting him to be an OC will allocate him to transition towards Head Coach much more smoothly.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I don't think he was ever more then the QB coach that called plays. Faulkner was promoted to interim OC. I don't believe he was also indicated as an interim OC. I could be wrong though.

12. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    It's more about quality over quantity. That's were they've been lacking

13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It's both actually.

Yes, 100 ****ty coaches will not be nearly has a good as 20 great ones.

However, 20 high quality coaches (not saying that is what the Steelers have) can only work with so many players and do so much prep as there are only so many hours in the day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Gary may not be currently coaching but he was a Super Bowl winning HC. Also not only has Klint Been an NFL OC but he also has a ton more coaching experience than Tomlin did when he became a HC. Also take a look at the QBs Klint has worked with, Manning, Wilson, Cousins , Purdy. Diverse form Big time Draft pick and Skill level HOF down to almost not drafted. I think he has the ability to manage, communicate and lead a Large group of Alpha Male Athletes and you’re dismissing him because you haven’t Studied how he was raised and how his career so far has groomed him for this moment.

Cajun

• Like Like x 2
  15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I got to hand it to the Steelers.
    They guard a lot this info like Brinks.
    With a lot of teams, stuff leaks out.

There are lot of unemployed (or soon to be) staffs out there and there are some great potential candidates still in the playoffs.
    I think Ohmar is going to have the larger say. It is important that Tomlin is compatible with the new OC.

On a personal note, I don't want Greg Roman.
    I sometimes think about Scott Turner who's over in Las Vegas as a Passing game Coordinator. But I think the Steelers need a little more experience.
    I'm pretty much on the fence with a lot of OC's. Just get one that works and knows the game.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Disagree.

Just because he was raised by Gary doesn't mean what worked for Gary during his time is going to work for Klint now. People tend to forget that Kyle himself had to work his way up from being a QB Coach for the Houston Texans (2008-2009) to Offensive Coordinator (something he had to be for a number of seasons) to then Head Coach. In addition, we have already seen a number of coaches who have worked with HOF QBs flame out within the past decade; Adam Gase, Josh McDaniels and Nathinel Hackett... to name a few. Working with HOF QBs doesn't guarantee immediate success.

To sum up, Coaches must work their way up the ladder to advance their careers if they want to have a shot at success. For that matter, take a look at the remaining Playoff Teams who have Offensive Minded Coaches. Even Andy Reid had to be an Offensive Lineman Coach along with being a Tight Ends Coach for the Green Bay Packers (1992-1996) just to then be promoted to QB Coach and Assistant Head Coach (1997-1998). Each of these Offensive Coaches had to worm through the mud to get where they need to be; regardless of their Coaching Tree. Now, coming from a very good to even great Coaching Tree helps but that alone isn't going to be enough. It is up to that individual to self improve to get to that level of Coaching.

I didn't state Klint Kubiak will never be a Head Coach. All I am stating is that he is going to need a lot more of experience dealing with a greater level of personnel. A small group of personnel, no matter how great that small group is, shall always pale in comparison towards a larger contingent for there are not only a lot more people as a whole that need managing but a helluva lot of egos do as well; doubly so given that a Head Coach must manage an entire team.... not just their preferred side of the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    A fine example of what have you done for me lately. They were in love with all last season and when he had them at 10-1, now he is the biggest idiot they have ever had as Coach.

• Like Like x 1
  18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    He was also with the Chargers under Sid Gilman

19. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Dulac reporting that Mike Sullivan is gone an O-Line coach Pat Meyer is staying.

Not happy about losing Sullivan as I think him, and Mason really seemed to be figuring things out there at the end.

Report: More Changes Coming To Mike Tomlin's Coaching Staff (msn.com)

Pat Meyer on the other hand, I would not have minded seeing him heading for the door, as I thought our O-Line took a big step backwards in 2023. It was crazy that the 2 O-Lineman that were traded before the season started, immediately seemed to improve their play as soon as they got away from Meyer.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Of course Meyer is a guy who is staying as the O Line regressed last year. To be fair they played decent the last few games but still he should have been shown the door.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Dulac is often wrong,so we will see what happen in the next few days or week but Meyer deserve to be fired big time

• Like Like x 1
  22. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

Antonio Pierce never a Co-Ordinator, was a LB coach now a HC for the Raiders.

Andy Reid was never a coordinator ….
    Dan Campbell never a coordinator …..
    John Harbaugh never called a defense or offense game……. Before they became HC

While it would appear to those of us NOT in the NFL ranks you Must climb the ladder and pay your dues at each level before you get a HC job, much less be successful, it is in Fact NOT a requirement or even a necessity. Not all Chefs went to Culinary School.

My point about Klint being the son of Gary, as you know, was to point out he is a Lifer, Born and raised in the NFL, from early childhood to HS to college to adulthood, he has seen, heard, experienced Professional Football from every level and point of view only a select few has and THAT gives him an edge over many.

I just want him as our OC…… NOW, and his younger brother as QB Coach/passing game coordinator . Then in three years he can have Tomlins job!!!!

Cajun

23. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Are you Faulkner kidding me?

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Antonio Pierce is a severe outlier for his case was one that was brought up by both necessity and camaraderie for Las Vegas.

More over to the point though, experience handling a massive array of personnel is what is needed as a Head Coach. The Andy Reid example was used to demonstrate how one must work their way up. Outside of some Owners who care nothing about the success of the Franchise and simply want money, other's don't operate that way. As for Dan Campbell and John Harbaugh, again, much of the same thing; Dan Campbell actually being an Assistant Head Coach along with a Tight Ends Coach for New Orleans and John Harbaugh himself being a Special Teams Coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1998-2006 (a Coordinating Position that deals with an extensive level of people). What's moreover with John Harbaugh is he both studied and learned under Andy Reid; making this matchup between the two even more intriguing overall.

Finally, as for Klint, as I have said, Gary's time has come and gone; Super Bowl or otherwise. Now, there are certain access points of finer Head Coaching details such as conduct, preparation and planning that Klint has received far more relative to his peers. That said, how much of this knowledge is relevant to today?! While much of Mike Shanahan's Offensive ideas did work from the late 90s up until his final years, Kyle realized that corrections needed to be made to not just evolve his fathers concepts but add his own. For Klint, that is going to be his biggest question; how different is he from his father?! Only time will tell.

25. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Not to point out the obvious, but wasn't Pierce the interim head coach of the Raiders, before he was offered the job this year to be the Head coach of the Raiders? And I definitely would not bet the farm that he is going to have success in Vegas.

I am still hoping for Alex Van Pelt to get the OC job.
    As a coach:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1