1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers need to consider trading down in the first round

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 11, 2024.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Who's to say if Sean Davis doesn't get a season ending shoulder injury if they go get Fitzpatrick.

We need to see the Minkah of old this season. Get back to being the ball hawk center fielder.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He had a good draft in 2017 :shrug:
    TJ
    JuJu
    Conner
    Sutton

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers first round pick is likely to be one of these guys, Khan/Tomlin only attended 4 pro days this year, or they could break the tradition and draft a player that they didn't attend his pro day.
    Mims
    McConkey
    Wiggins
    Latham
    Kool Aid
    Arnold

5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

If you have a choice between the 3rd rated T or the 1st rated CB at 20, I'm going CB.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think the #1 CB will be on the board at #20, any tackle on the board at #20 is likely to be the 4th or 5th best one available.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if we needed a LT that would be different in taking one that early in the first, we don't. none of these centers are pouncey either. there will be one at 2-3. there will be a good tackle at 3-4. there will be decnt corners in those rounds as well. DL or LB may be what they look to grab early since they are not near as deep as these other spots. we do have in house options on the o-line. center is probably more of a need but corner isn't far off. tackle..... well we may be ok for now and can probably give that pick time to learn first. the other spots may play quicker including WR which is also fairly deep in this draft. :cool:

8. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Okay. how about the 2nd best corner over the 4th or 5th Tackle?

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Mims or Latham are there at #20, I think you should draft tackle, I do like Quinyon Mitchell at CB though.

10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I don't know about trading down, maybe. There are obvious scenarios where it would make sense.
    My Draft board for the Steelers has 3 big needs, OT, C, WR - in no particular order. There are other needs but those are my main concerns.
    I think those first 4 picks can address those needs, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to work a trade.
    I hate drafting for need, I prefer Best Player Available, especially in the first round.

Round 1, No. 20 overall
    Round 2, No. 51 overall
    Round 3, No. 84 overall
    Round 3, No. 98 overall (via PHI)
    Round 4, No. 119 overall
    Round 6, No. 178 overall (via ARI)
    Round 6, No. 195 overall

• Like Like x 1
  11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    you are correct - i said around 2016 - I did not look at each year. after 2017, it was the beginning of the end. Colbert is part of the big 10 year setback we are experiencing.

He did not have good steering of the wheel as Ben was aging and poorly prepared for transition. It was not all him - of course. He failed late in his career, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    We need a good Center a good WR don't trade any picks unless it's to get someone good.

13. Darren Molloy

Darren Molloy Active Member

Jun 8, 2019
    I've been getting offers from Arizona at no.27 to trade up for the Steelers at no.20 on a lot of my mock drafts. They give their 3rd round pick at 71 as compensation and we send our 4th round pick at 119. I usually have the option to take either JPJ or Barton at no.27 but if I take another OT I miss on them and Frazier in the 2nd at 51.

Arizona are in need of Edge and CB and no.20 is where the good CBs start to vanish. Chop Robinson might be available at no.20 which they would jump at.

Arizona and Pittsburgh have a friendly history in trades I think it's very plausible and it would allow us to fill and extra need while not reaching.

I think 1st C, 2nd OT, and 3x 3rd picks for WR/CB/SS

14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Minkah and this D started out pretty strong - first 4 or 5 games.

Then KENNY wore on them. Well, Kenny and Canada and Tomlin.

3 and out every other series, time of possession tipping each week to the other team. This D took a HARD beating.

THEN - losing 3 ILB's in weeks 6-8, that about did it.

But the hammy injury on Oct 29 did him in, for all intents and purposes. by the time he got 'healthy' again, then he busts up his hand and the secondary had turned over and it was full patchwork back there.

Minkah is one of the best S's in the game - I have great confidence in his focus, and discipline to come back strong this year.

of course.......time will tell......

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope for a boring draft.... OT and Center in the first two rounds. But.... history has shown, Steelers will find a WR they like in round 2.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    smith didn't attend alabama's pro day with omar and tomlin. he did clemson, georgia, michigan. will putnam?, mike nugent at center later in the draft? georgia has a couple of later round centers. michigan has O-linemen at near every position. DC austin was with them at alabama. :shrug::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Center, Barton in trending.

can be in favor of trading down IF VALUE is there and WE GET what we need. if Steelers win!!

we will see in 8 days!

• Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Athletically speaking, Graham Barton is pretty damn close. From a fundamentals perspective, you got me there. That said, if there is one Center I am willing to roll the dice on between the big three, Barton is it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I see you moved off of Van Pran as your guy at center.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not entirely.

He is second tier. Initially he was first but after further tape study, he isn't as athletic as I thought he was; doubly so from 2022 to last season. Dunno what happened but his lateral range is average overall.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    bottom line is we will have a center, two tackles and two guards to start the season. one way or another. rookies at all these positions are going to struggle right out of the gate. this draft is pretty loaded with players that will help. :cool:

• Like Like x 1