1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers need to consider trading down in the first round

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 11, 2024.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I trust in Khan and Weidl.

I understand the idea of trading down if they believe they can get the player they want a couple of selections down.

For me I believe that Center is the most important selection. Not a right tackle. He will be the General of the line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Not an NCAA guy but I thought I heard there are no have to have QB's in this years draft? You think 3-4 will go before the 20th overall pick?? I guess a lot of teams need QB's???

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Steelers are living proof of what having a great center can do for your team. I want a center at #20.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The first three picks could be quarterbacks. It would be a huge upset if the Bears don't take Caleb Williams first overall. Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels could go No. 2 and No. 3. Most projections have J.J. McCarthy going in the top 10, though I don't think he should be taken that high.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is so odd to see the Steelers fail to put resources into the position since Pouncey retired. It is as if they forgot the value of the position. They passed on Biadasz to take McFarland. They passed on Creed Humphrey to take Freiermuth. They passed on Linderbaum to take Pickett. All of those decisions were big mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    The Bears, Commanders, Patriots, and Vikings are highly expected to take a QB in the 1st. The Raiders, Seahawks, Saints, Jets, Cowboys, and Rams are expected to draft a QB and depending on how the board falls, I could see 5QBs in the 1st. Definitely 3-4.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

those were also under colbert. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So was Pouncey.

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    So was Kendrick Green

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes but this will be kahn and Weidl first together so we don't know that they have forgotten the importance. Kahn even mentioned we owe it to ourselves to find the next great center. We know Weidl likes the bigs too.

:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Should all options be exhausted by pick 20, I am in all of favor for it.

Last time the Steelers did so, Casey Hampton was the result. I wouldn't mind having Lightning Strike Twice if the team nets the same result though of a different position.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    very good point. there's great value in the early second round.

13. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    get an NFL starting caliber SOMETHING at #20.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I can see them trading down particularly if they make a “major” move for a WR before the draft. Either way I can see it and still get some great picks.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i wouldn't mess with the first round. the second may be where they want to make a move or hang tight, they will get good players. they will fill needs for now and the future. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Every year this comes up.... Trade out of our premium picks for more (less premium) picks.

Generally I hate the notion of trading back. We would have to trade pretty far back in order to get good compensation back. Like if we gain a 3rd rounder to drop 4-5 spots (if we know the guy we want will still be there), then sure... fine. But I don't see how dropping way back and giving up the premium of a high draft slot is worth it.

Would you rather pick at 20 or swap to 32 with KC in order to gain the 64th pick as well. This is obviously how it works in the point chart (not real life), but you get the point. Imo its just not worth it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Who is trading their first rounder this year for a first rounder next year? Unless you're saying we should trade our 2024 second rounder and our 2025 first to get back into the first in 2024?

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yes, JPJ will not be there at #51, so if they want to draft both a RT in the first and then move up to get JPJ they are going to have to use next year's 1st round pick to do it, along with their 2nd round pick. They will still have 2 picks in the 3rd to land their backup WR and backup CB.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I would never trade a future 1st to move up for for any position other than a potential franchise QB.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well, I think that is a pretty steep cost. Essentially spending a first and a second on a center... I think a more likely approach would be to trade our 3rd (81) and 2nd to move up 15ish spots in the 2nd to get the center we like. Or our compensatory (98) to move up 10-ish spots. We may not get the first center off the board. But at least one (if not 2) should be available come pick 40-45.

If we are trading our 2025 first rounder, it would be a lot better spent on a trade for a high end WR like Aiyuk or Higgins. Even then its steep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That is how ridicules some of the mock's get. One showed up on my FB from a site I don't subscribe to, but the guy traded (did not say what or when), had 2 1st's a high 2nd, and 2 more picks in the top 75, then on at 105, plus more 4 more in the later rounds. Great I guess,but what about next year, lol. I'm not against moving up or down a few spots, last year we went up a few with little cost and still got back in the 3rd for a late pick. There is a difference between strategic and stupid, right now we need a starting caliber C, you hope you can get that, but nothing is guaranteed, To think we are going to get starting guys at any level of the draft is just a fantasy, it happens, but it happens far less in reality.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

colbert went brain dead around 2016

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    They did it with Minkah, a guy taken number 5 the previous year, got good production and was someone we never would have gotten close to where we usually draft, but agree to trade a future 1 for the total unknown is what can get a team/GM in hot water.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Right, Minkah was not a total unknown. He had shown that he had exceptional NFL talent. I would definitely trade a future first for the right proven player again. Never for a guy who hasn’t taken an NFL snap though; except for a QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    agreed, and that is the market for QB's, if you are bad enough you get the slot and opportunity, or you can get a boat load of draft picks. To pay that much in draft capitol you had better be correct, of the 6 guys that have been talked about, only the top 2 would truly interest me with that kind of thinking. A couple of the other guys may indeed work out and even become very good NFL QB's, but you better have the entire Org. in place to work him into that role, instead of hoping you can just plug and play, the bust rate is that high.

• Like Like x 1