1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers need a upgrade at NT

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 15, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think I heard it on the Terrible Podcast and they said they didn't think Tuitt and Heyward would be a good fit for 4/3 defense.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He comes off the field when they use their nickel defense to use an extra DB. Their nickel defense is much more susceptible to the run.

This is why the big argument last draft was against picking a NT early, they are only in their base defense about 30% of the time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Most of the reason why I think a guy like Tyler Lancaster would be a better fit for us than just a big NT. We need a guy that is stoudt and can run down the line and stop the run in this hybrid. I think we are overworking heyward and tuitt at times. I think we almost need a dedicated Nicole type DT in the rotation. Big Dan can be replaced or upgraded by a guy like this. Maybe Walton could be that guy. We have to change up something to get more stopss by the d-line in these situations.:cool:

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll have to check him out. I think theyd be better off with a guy like Kyzir White who can play in the box and drop into coverage though. Since they go DB heavy so much in their coverages.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah. Too much money tied up in a great 3/4 end in Heyward and a good 3/4 end in Tuitt.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    In all honesty, the NT isn’t the problem. We aren’t in base 34 all that much. We didn’t get gashed in the run game until after Shazier went down. We got gashed because our ILB were TRASH. Williams is a nice player, but he is a complimentary player. Shazier was the stud and Vinny was a great Robin to his Batman.... it’s very clear that Spence/Fort/Matakevich weren’t up to snuff, and we got roasted in the run game to show it.

With that said, I’d still be down for a day 3 interior lineman. Someone that is MEAN

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I thought Hargrave did well too. But I don't think anyone is calling for his replacement. I think an anchor type NT would compliment him well since he is so good at getting pressure. You have to replace Big Dan anyway (lets hope). More of the debate is what round would you get that guy? I would go 2nd or 3rd round but that's my preference. Depending on what happens during FA though for sure. ILB and FS are more pressing if we don't land anyone in FA.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I want 2 DB's and an ILB so thats the first 3 rds for me then maybe a RB or TE in the 4th so not before the 5th. Do we know what our comp picks are if any?

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    5th round but that's estimated I believe. No 4th or 6th rounder I think either.

4th for Vance McDonald and 6th to Cleveland maybe??

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    So you're thinking Vance is not re-signed? How did Smythe look at TE for ND this year?

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh crap, I forgot we gave up our 4th. That sucks.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasn't sure if they would because of the cap hit but now that you just reminded me that we gave up the 4th for him, I think they will sign him. He started coming on at the end of the season.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    We traded our 4 pick to the niners but we also got their 5 pick in return so it wasnt a total loss, it's actually pretty weird how his contract works going forward:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/vance-mcdonald-contract-details-salary-cap-charges/

• Like Like x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The problem is he is projected as a mid first rounder so we won't have a chance. Add in the need of a S and a ILB DT/NT is not going to be taken early. The good news is there are some later round guys that would fit nicely and replace Big Dan. Jones, Brown, Hill, Fatukasi and Hall are a few names that we might have a shot at later.

As far as Hargrave goes it is more about the scheme then his play, like others here I want to see him on the field more too.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we should also get a 7th for cockrell from the G-men right? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If he were to fall to us, do you think the Steelers would take him?

17. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No way I do not want a DT/NT in the first 2 rounds. The players I listed could be just as good later on, we have so many other needs ILB, S, OLB, TE, maybe RB Oline depth.