1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers nailed the draft this year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 20, 2021.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It's not about the round it's about the talent available in any draft. Not all drafts are created equal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I understand why they picked Najee, there was no value at Tackle where they were drafting. They could have taken a cornerback or reached for a lineman but they wanted somebody that could help this year. You could argue it either way I suppose. The long term will tell.

I do wonder if Darrisaw hadn’t gone just ahead of their pick would they still have picked Harris

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd add into the discussion too the difference in having a coach who firmly believes in a strong run game vs a coach that wants his team to be very hard to matchup against(whatever that means). I thought since watching the Vikings play that Stefanski parlayed having a strong back like Cook into a head coaching job but I dont think I gave him enough credit for being good at the job too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Apples to Apples. Why aren't you comparing Najee to this years Draft Class running backs?

And Also can you compare the RB to total yards?

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the prevailing opinion by those that care about drafting who and when thought they should have traded back picked up a pick or maybe two and gotten the same guy they were targeting at a later time. Lots of ifs in that scenario though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is what I'm saying.
    Little by little this offense is getting better. Will it be enough :shrug:, but I'm seeing it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wasn't surprised they went with Freiermuth in the second round, him and the Steelers TE coach really hit it off at his pro day.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Hubbard had a bad 2020 season so he probably wasn't on their radar, they drafted RBs in the mid rounds and it didn't work out too well, Conner and Snell aren't good enough to be feature backs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    ILB could be a need, I don't think Schobert returns in 2022.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Possibly but I hope he does. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Any RB can be a feature back if you build a stud offensive line.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, I meant you and the others who relentlessly criticize the pick even though it looks like the right call.

Who said they are going to be a RB-centric team? Did taking Bush in the first round mean they had to become an inside linebacker-centric team? You really are making less and less sense.

You keep falsely claiming that I don't understand the trend in the NFL. I do. Unlike you, I understand well enough to know that sometimes you find the best value by bucking the trend. I'm really sorry you don't have the capacity to understand such thinking.

Your argument is disorganized and full of contradictions. You argued that the Steelers reached for a need by taking Harris even though he was clearly one of only one or two running backs who were first-round values this year. Oddly enough, you wanted them to reach for need, just a different need, rather than take advantage of the depth of the offensive linemen available in the draft.

You want to ignore the importance of running backs, yet the top rushing teams in the league have not done so. The Browns lead the league in rushing. They spent a high second-round pick on Chubb, something they did before fully building the dominant offensive line they have now. The Cowboys are second in the NFL in rushing with Ezekial Elliott leading the way. In case you forgot, they selected Elliott fourth overall in 2016. The Titans are third in the NFL in rushing because they have Henry, who was taken in the first half of the second round. The next three teams in the rushing rankings (Ravens, Cardinals, and Bills) have running quarterbacks boosting their totals. The Vikings, also in the top 10, feature a running back taken 41st overall in Cook. Kansas City's leading rusher was also a first-round pick.

But hey, teams that run the ball well don't do it with running backs they drafted high anymore, right?

• Winner Winner x 3
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought that at the time, too.

But Maddog wants to criticize them for reaching when they didn't while, at the same time, insisting that they should have reached for a lineman.

Could it be that he's just looking for excuses to be critical? Hmmmm.

Cue Maddog calling me a homer again, completely ignoring the many times I have criticized the Steelers' choices, including this year's second round and the ongoing reminders that Edmunds was a terrible decision.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I bet you are fun at parties.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Well said, couldn't agree more. With Najee it's not even just about his production (which is great for a rookie) it is just the way he plays and how strong he is, I think the sky is the limit for that kid. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders as well. I often am critical over the Steelers' drafts but I don't see how anyone can be upset with what we have seen so far from this one. Especially not to the point to be so pedantic and contrarian about every aspect of it like MadDog. I am interested to see his response to the above post though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What year is this? How many does he have? I’ll wait.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember, you called the pick on draft night.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If we think they should have gone for linemen with their early picks regardless of value just look at the Dolphins, they used 3 picks on offensive linemen in rounds 1-2 over 2019-20 and they have the worst line in the NFL. Picking guys high is no guarantee of anything

I don’t see a lineman drafted after Najee that I would now swap for him. Cosmi and Humphrey might be the best performers so far. In terms of cornerbacks we don’t know and won’t know for a while.

Steelers saw what they believed was a sure thing in Harris and they decided to take the best player on the board. I really wanted them to prioritise the offensive line but it’s hard to criticise the pick given how the board fell for them.

As already stated, the development of Green and Moore will have a big bearing when we can realistically rank the draft class in a couple of years time. It’s too early now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What for, he comes out for Spillane also?

21. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    So now you agree with me that it's not considered good team building?

Taking Newsome, who went to the Browns two picks later, would not have been reaching for need and it would have been a much better value than RB in the first.

Zeke already had the OL, still a bad pick. He's on the back 9 of his career and they have one playoff win to show for it. He's also splitting work this year. Chubb was a 2nd rounder, Johnson just proved any RB can run there. I think they made a mistake by paying him, too, he's always hurt.

Not a first rounder, on back side of career, one playoff win to show for it. Is the goal to win rushing titles or Super Bowls?

No first round backs, in other words? Not sure where you're going with this.

Yes, the guy averaging 60 yards/game in a RBBC was a late first rounder.

The argument is whether or not it's wise to try to build a championship team by taking a RB in the first round when you have other needs, not whether or not teams who "run well" took a back in the first two rounds or have running QBs.

You've lost the plot.

22. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    You have no idea.

23. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Sorry, I read your OP wrong. But still, if he's offering nothing now, it's not because he doesn't have the ability to catch the ball, they're just choosing not to use him that way.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You initially argued for them to take linemen first. You then switched to cornerback because you see the better option there in hindsight. It must be nice to not care if you are consistent or not in your posts.

I wouldn't have had a problem with Newsome, but much better value? That's your very dubious opinion.

Disagreeing with what other teams are doing does not make it bad team building. Once again, you are resorting to either attacking the other poster or misrepresenting what they posted because your argument doesn't hold up on its merits. Going against the trends is often a great way for teams to find value. You still aren't getting that concept. Did you ever see Moneyball?

You claimed that teams don't pick running backs high anymore. I proved you wrong. I also proved that teams can be effective in building a running attack that way. You moved the goalposts to try to avoid the fact that Elliott has brought good value, then ignored the rest.

Regarding Henry, high second-round picks are still high picks. Half of the NFL would go back and take him in the first round that year if they could and even you know it.

I haven't lost the plot. I've pointed out that you are wrong about how teams function and you don't like it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed, but at the same time, when we had Lebeau we seemed to able to pull LB'ers out of thin air. We truly were a LB'er factory. Actually that might have been more of a Cowher thing