1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers hire a WR coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 9, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Did I say he was.....no but he wanted to be and was passed on and went tot he jets!

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm okay with them not hiring Ward as WR coach, it didn't work out too well with Porter and Lake as coaches.

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not because one guy didn't work out we shouldn't hire one of our all time greats......ok.

But what about the timing with Ward and the only NFL team he ever knew as a player? The Steelers have an interim receivers coach in Ray Sherman, who stepped in when Darryl Drake died during training camp in August. Ward served as a coaching intern for the Steelers two years ago, and replied that “it’s in God’s hands” when asked Monday if his road might lead him back here someday.

Ward said he couldn’t comment further than that, adding that he wanted the night to be about his playing days “because I’ll always bleed black and gold.” But he does have one significant supporter when it comes to potentially joining Mike Tomlin’s staff.

“Yeah, it would be awesome, obviously,” Cowher said. “But Mike will make that decision, and it’s up to him. There’s so many things that go into it.”

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree but I don't think he would take Ben's bs. Ben has probably vetoed Hines.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Ageed 100% and I think that is why it didn't happen.........BEN!!!!!!!!! It is pretty amazing that a icon like Ward wants to coach and has said publicly he wants to be the HC of Georgia and he couldn't get his start here with all his history here. It isn't like we are talking some one year wonder he is a legend here and also was a great teammate helping they younger guys learn...........true coaching material!

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hines won with smarts & determination. Things that need to be coached into today's gifted athletes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Today's gifted athletes don't seem to be able to learn. It's like God said "you can have talent or brains, which do you want?" and the athletes seem to have responded "and just how is brains gonna make me run faster and jump higher?"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    with Munchak and Mann we made them 2014-15-16-17.:cool:

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    As a Player I loved Ward!!!! I’ve read where he wasn’t the best mentor to young WRs, didn’t embrace helping them in the film room the way other Veterans did.

I’ve remember when J. Cotchery was playing he embraced the mentor role and and helped teach and guide the young WRs around him.

JC had been a WR coach for a couple years now so he doesn’t have a lot of experience but it would appear coaching is something he has Always embraced and wanted.

ITs very possible they Hire Bryan McLendon as the WR coach And Cotchery as the Asst. WR Coach!!

Cajun
    <><

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    McClendon not hired as the new WR coach. Going back to college team. Nobody has been named yet. Cotch was interviewed but not hired yet. :cool:

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    McClendon not hired as the new WR coach. Going back to college team. Nobody has been named yet. Cotch was interviewed but not hired yet. :cool: