1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers have taken steps the last 3 seasons...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 23, 2017.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    In 2014 they made the playoffs lost in the wildcard round, in 2015 made the playoffs won a playoff game made it to the divisional round. And this year won 2 playoff games and made it to the AFC Championship game. Is next year finally the year this team takes the be to step and gets to the Super Bowl?? I still think this team is close. The offense with Ben,Bell,and AB and a solid line are gonna be back. Bryant will be back as well you would think.

Plus, this defense as well took some major strides this year in the secondary with Burns and Davis. Still think we need another shut down corner and some more speed and depth at linebacker. Harrison and Timmons aren't gonna play forever and Jarvis Jones is not going to be back. You also have a solid D line with Tuitt, the emergence of Hargrave, and getting a guy like Cam Heyward back who is a stud.

One last thing the Steelers gotta stop losing to bad teams and find a way to get that bye week and homefield over the Pats. They can't go to Foxborough again next season and play for a trip to the Super Bowl. You gotta get the Patriots here which is no guarantee you are going to beat them but still it makes your odds that much better. This team is still close fellas from getting number 7 and hopefully next season is the year it happens.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It all comes down to if Bryant can stay off the weed and if he's the same player off it and with a year off. MB stretching the field, AB running the tree. Rogers in the slot. Ladarius Green up the middle. Best RB tandem of Bell/D-Will. O-line remains elite. We should score 40-50 points a game.

Need to only draft DB's and a pass rusher preferably ones that can have an impact right away. If there's any cap space sign a pass rusher or DB that can have an impact right away.

Can they take Ladarius Green salary off the books next season and make him play for $1 since he didn't do **** this season and make him earn his signing bonus? That would really help as well.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Unlike previous years, Steelers had everybody healthy at key postitions, except for Heyward at DE. No excuses this time, if you don't count Heyward on IR. They were beat by the better team. The window has closed. I don't see Steelers making it through 2017 with O-line, Ben, Brown and Bell all intact like they did this year. Somebody will go on IR... and Steelers will be hobbled and ineffective again in the playoffs, if they even make it that far.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Who other then the Patriots and maybe the Raiders with Carr who are still unproven is better then the Steelers right now?? I still think they are the best team in this division and will have a good chance next season to win this division again and get back to this same spot. Yes they gotta stay injury free the whole season that will be important because you don't get to start over from where you finished this season. You gotta go back to the beginning and earn your way back which I believe this team will find a way to do.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Heyward was a huge loss that reared its ugly head when we neede him most,he's a difference maker that we were able to cover up the hole he left ,but not when we could of used him the most. We basically played the whole game without Bell

7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    the final step needs to be make the switch on defense. trash the dumpster fire that is the 3-4. I think heyward, tuitt, hargrave, and a rookie can be a very good dline. I think shazier and Dupree can play backer in a 4-3. I think burns can be a man corner and get another.

8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    sure but we will still play zone vs pats lol

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not sure we bounce back from this one.

I think it's going to be quite a few years before we are in the Super Bowl again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    most likely this was our chance. carr will be back, pats, then other up and comers. combine that with losing winnable games and trying to climb up a steep hill.

Not sure if Ben has it in him anymore for a deep run. He wanted to have the most rings at one point, but with a family now and brady leaving everyone behind, dunno man lol

11. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Until we finally get it through our heads that this is a passing league and you MUST attack the ball and not let receivers run free, we'll need luck and opponents beating themselves to make a serious run.

It's not just Brady that can do that to us. We've seen far too much of it over the past decade. When is enough enough?

Offensively, we just need to keep 2 legit receivers not named Brown healthy. And we need certain big egos to realize that winning is more important than stats. We have the talent to be a juggernaut on offense if we'd just stop shooting ourselves in the foot.

But you have to have an aggressive, attack-mode defense to go far in this league. We don't. We haven't had a true one since 2005. We got by in 2008, but even then, the chinks in the armor were showing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Problem is, it's the 3rd year in probably a 4 years window. Ben is no spring chicken, and I'm concerned his decline this year was stage 1. Next year may be their final chance...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Step one needs to get the #1 Seed. It's a lot easier reaching the Superbowl winning 2 games to 3. Plus getting two games at home as oppose to playing 2 of 3 on the road against the best competition in your conference.

Keeping Ben healthy for 16 games. Keeping Brown and Bell healthy as well. Staying out of trouble (team wide goal). If we can get a decent draft like the 2016 draft, I'll be happy. That was our best early on production of a draft class in almost 15-20 years.

The window on Ben is closing. I give it about 3 years. After that I think we'll have to start moving on. He's just taken to much damage, and I don't see him keeping himself in excellent shape as he approaches the late 30's.

We have a talented roster, if they take care of business they can be back in the running to go to the Super Bowl next year.

14. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    I think getting the 1 or even the 2 seed, losing to bad teams during the season to prevent this, and keeping the big 3 healthy especially Ben for all 16 games can get us back to the AFC Championship and maybe another crack at the Patriots. For people to sit here and say the window is closed and this team isn't going to make the playoffs next season in a weak AFC I don't think is an accurate statement. This team still has a chance to be very good next season and I expect them to be very good and win a lot of games.

15. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Steelers play the cheats next season, if they can play a tighter D and win then we'll talk, until then this team is going nowhere until Marsha retires.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Get #1 seed or wait til Brady retires. Ben will be long gone by then.

Gonna have to win 13-14 games next season.

Last chance imo