1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers have signed a free agent

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 15, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm with ya Jim. Mirror mirror on the wall how can all my chit just fall.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Trust me, I feel your pain. I have no idea what I weigh. I do have a mirror. I also have a wife who would probably get along with your wife. Well, as long as there was beer involved.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He will however be in camp and knows the offense. He can show our rookie RB his way through, where as Bell will probably hold out and Conner is rehabbing. Actually a good move by the Steelers to sign him. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    That Ridley guy seemed to have more burst. Just dont see the love affair with him especially when returning kicks where he is better off just leaving the kicks go into the end zone as he rarely gets it to the 20 yard line.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    As I said, Fitz knows the offense much better and can help the draft pick a lot more than Ridley could. Fitz isn't really here for his return abilities. The burst part is also secondary to knowing the offense well. He is good at pass protection too. We know that is a huge part of RBs getting on the field for us. We are all in on Bell so Fitz's role isn't that broad that it will make a difference unless Bell gets hurt. Then we go to the well and either play the rookie or look outside for a ridley type then, but still have a guy that knows the offense. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I get what your saying about knowing the offense but Im looking for a back that is more then that and really don't care how well he is with the rookies. It's the similar as some say that we should keep DHB because of his blocking skills and not his receiving skills. I guess I want backs to run good and receivers to catch good, it that asking for too much.

Guess we will agree to disagree with the difference of philosophy.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm sure the rookie will be the type you like and will get more playing time than Fitz. Just like Conner but we don't have him and probably won't have Bell in the preseason. As a 3rd back Fitz is pretty good. :cool:

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually it's not even close to saying that about DHB. DHB isn't on the field reading a blitz and blocking for Ben. He's blocking down field and on bubble screens.

Also, what Fitz can do for both Ridley and Conner is help them get their blocking assignments correct.

This is a low cost move to help other players grow and in a pinch be there on passing downs.

9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    So you think they will keep Bell, Ridley, Conner and Fitz. That's a lot of running backs. To me getting blocking assignments down pat is a coaching job and not a players job.

Players play, coaches coach, and to me you dont sign a back to help coach blocking assignments but the best backup running back you can get in case of injuries to the starters.

10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I guess if he is just a camp running back, that's okay but if they keep him over Ridley during the season then thats the mistake.

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You do when your QB plays better with a RB that he feels comfortable that can block in front of him.

Right now which ones do you think Ben actually trusts to know their assignments? It ain't Conner and I like what Ridley can bring to the table, but I'd bet Ben doesn't feel comfortable with him in on passing downs.

That leaves Bell, who's probably sitting out training camp again and Fitz.

I'm not saying I wouldn't rather have someone else on the roster, but those are the options.

It's doubtful those guys are going to get too many snaps with Ben during preseason as well. You need someone in the room that knows what Ben is looking for you to do and can relay game experience with them. Coches are good, but players play and know what other players really want them doing during the plays.

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2