1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers drafting a QB at #28

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 2, 2018.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He will play out the year.

2. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    If he blows out a knee in game 2? What year will we have? Draft a RB. Tag LB and try to trade him before the years out.

3. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm all for a tag and trade. I just don't see the Steelers doing it. They never make big moves like that and I think alot of players wouldn't take too kindly to it.

Bell gives us the best chance to win a SB this year.

Let's not pretend like Conner was useless last year. Wasn't his YPC higher than Bells? He's not the overall RB that Bell develped into but maybe he can be very productive behind our Oline.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They would be sending the message that bud, your not in our plans and your replacement is already here so play well for us this year and we will release you. We would also be sending the message to the new guy , play to a high standard right now or you will be gone before your contract is up too. Bad business to do this. You are also saying to chickillo and Adams, you will always be just a backup for us. I just don't see 3first round picks at the same position. TJ is still learning his position and now you want to move him and learn a new one? At 54 tackles he really didn't set the world on fire last year. Good start but......

If we decide to go the route of OLB we need to release bud. We also don't know if the new guy will be better. We can't keep picking these guys as short term rentals. Bad business. I know we all want to win right now and the heck with the future but they don't work that way.:cool:

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You can a good RB in the mid rounds, they used a 3rd pick on a RB last year.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not saying to target a OLB but if someone would fall that we didn't expect I would much rather draft that position than a QB or RB in the first round.. At this point I'm not worried about hurting Duprees feelings,he knows he's playing for a contract here or someplace else anyway. I actually like Chick and I think he would do well if not better than Dupree given as many opportunities. Adams is a total unknown at this point so I'm not putting too many eggs there. It's also bad business to not have effective OLBs in a 3-4 defense.....I wasn't talking about Watt learning a new position...my point is he has position flexibility and the athleticism to be moved all over the field,which he has shown already. There are probably only 2 realistic options at ILB at 28 and the most 3 realistic options at S at 28. which are the two positions I'd like to see drafted in the first. If 4 or 5 of those guys are gone I'm not passing up a talent at OLB for anything we have in house. That's all I'm trying to say.....you can go frm riches to rags at any position real fast ,just look at ILB.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Just drafting a different body in the first sure doesn't guarantee riches either, ask the browns and all of them qbs they took in the first over many years. I'm not sure we need a safety in the first now. We have two good starters now. RB we know we are going to need. WR we know we are going to need. QB we know we will soon need. That position is the hardest to fill and usually takes some time to bring up to speed. I agree we need an ILB or two, but they have to do what we need of them and not what we already have. I wouldn't have a problem with a QB in the first if they think he's the right one. Not many ILB are worth that spot. :cool:

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not sure we're on the same page. No one is saying to just draft a position of need(a body) What I'm saying is if a top OLB falls you still have to consider it because things can change real quick at OLB which is a pretty big deal in a 3-4. If anything QB is the hardest position to be right on because if they can't play they're pretty much useless on the roster. I still think safety is a need mostly a FS ,we still don't have a proven one on the team. We would be expecting a 2nd year guy or Davis to be able to make the move successfully.....talking about guys learning new positions? .....that's a big one to learn. You wouldn't have a problem with a QB if they think he's the right one? Well what if they feel there's a ILB, OLB or S that's worth the pick? RB and WR will be addressed but no need to draft either before round 2....

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    In the steelers system safety is pretty interchangeable. That has been reiterated many times. It isn't as big of a change as you think for a guy that has been playing near every position in the defensive backfield since college. Davis is better than most give him credit for. The biggest mistake was playing him as a SS though. That is not his spot. He should have been a FS from the start. Trouble was we had Mitchell there. We may add a safety at some point but I doubt it's in the first. ILB would be the pick if one worthy of that spot would fall. I don't think any position is out of the question but some seem a little less of a priority than others. Finding a QB class as good as this one may take a long time. There are many that could be worthy this year but if we wait there may not be a plethora of them like this if we wait a couple of years. It doesn't happen very often. I wouldn't be offended if we went that way. I think there are good LBers well deeper into this draft then there are some other positions. Burnett and bostic are going to help us a lot. :cool:

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Idk Mac were gonna have to agree to disagree on the state of our Safety position. As terrible as Mitchell was at FS you mean to tell me he couldn't of either been dropped down into the box as a SS, if Davis was gonna be so good at FS. FS was clearly one of our biggest weaknesses last year.....who knew we had a budding FS in Davis playing out of position at strong. If what you're saying is true about Davis we could of either moved Mitchell down or out of the line up.Heck we even experimented with Gay in the box...we essentially had Wilcox inactive down the stretch as well. Something needed to be done at FS yet we kept rolling with Mitchell. That doesn't give me much confidence in Davis at least not nearly as much as you.

There are only 3 ILBs that are deemed 1st round material,highly doubtful Roquan is there,so the only one that you would be happy with (worthy)would have to be LVE because I know your feelings on Evans.
    Honestly I'm not that high on this QB class outside of Darnold and Rosen(who also comes with a lot of question marks) Allens comp.% is worrisome,there's never been a QB to come out of college and vastly improve his comp. %. Mayfield has his issues(system and height) then Jackson and Rudolph who may be over drafted but I would feel much more comfortable as a 2nd round pick. I honestly think guys like Faulk,White,Laureleta and maybe even Ferguson have just a good a shot as any to be good QBs in the right system down the road. Idk I really hope I'm wrong but if they take Rudolph in the first not only is my nose gonna be red.....but my whole face too. :smiley1:

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That's all on the coaches to not take Mitchell off the field. Davis being a cover man is much more suited to FS than strong. They don't like to change mid season any spot unless absolutely necessary or by injury. Davis will have the whole camp to get on the same page with Burnett and the corners. They were paying Mitchell a lot of money and he had been the starter for a few years. As you see he's gone now and so is his coach. It should have been done long ago.

I agree we will have to agree to disagree about this situation. I don't agree about only two other ILBs though. There are probably at least 9 guys that could end up as 1 St rounders and ILBers for teams and they will be pretty good ones. That position is changing and has been for several years. It's not about the big hole pluggers anymore. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Can't see them drafting a QB this year unless one falls that they covet. Ben wants to play more then the two years remaining on his contract and a extension is in the air, maybe not this season. I can see next season being a priority for drafting Ben's successor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Sad that we can see the obvious.....glad Lake is gone sounds like from all the articles they are excited for Bradley as a teacher.....makes you think what the hell was Lake doing....and how did the HC and GM let it go on....highly doubt Lake left on his own,just a way for our coaches to not admit their mistakes....

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What are the expectations for Tuitt and Dupree. They have to play better these two. Wow
    we need to see production from both. I am hoping Kion can step up. But as of now I really don't like our OLB depth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Conner did tear the MCL right, so that may be an issue still. Ridley and Crossaint are not the answer. Bell has us in a bit of a bind too, maybe the team players are not to happy about that either.
    how many first round olb's do we need to go with to prove greene should have been signed and porter let go.. not every great player is a good coach..

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    LVE beefed up to 256 to give teams an option to use him at edge rusher OLB as well as a middle backer, at the combine his numbers were identical to TJs performance so if we can draft LVE we can have a player that can play two positions instead of one....

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Oui Oui :lolol:

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    What players, of the ones who are generally thought to be available when we pick, need to be gone before you would feel comfortable with a QB chosen at 1:28? Or stated another way, you would be mad if a QB was taken at 1:28 and (insert name) was still available?

Or would you be pissed if a QB is taken irregardless of who is available?

Just some questions for anyone and expanding on the original topic....

With Ben's 180 degree reversal on retirement after Haley left, I think the list would be long for me. I would push QB way down the list. I'd even rather go WR in the first even though its not a great need imo.

19. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    For me it's

Rashaan Evans
    Will Hernandez
    Mike Hughes
    Isaiah Oliver.
    Dallas Goedert

There's' probably a few others.

LVE vs Rudolph is close. I think Rudolph would be BPA but the need of a ILB may be a higher priority.

I probably take Rudolph over the likes of S prospects Reid and Bates, bit it' close.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm on the fence with getting a CB in the first. Yes Haden probably only has one year left and Burns is up and down, but it would feel like we left something on the table at a more pressing position. I wouldn't be mad but wouldn't be excited either if that makes sense.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree as well....we do have Sutton and Allen they need to be developed as well. If not, what did we draft them for? We can't keep swinging and missing in the secondary.....we need ILB and S first and foremost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    But do you potentially take a lesser talent at ILB or S over a superior talent at CB or perhaps another position?

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it's Reid. Can play either role. So can Davis. So can Burnett. Berhe can play SS and golden becomes the new Dangerfield waiting on the PS in case. You would now have the bases covered on the back end.

As for LB I'm still leaning Jerome baker. With bostic, Vince and matakevich he would add a move backer. We have Mathew Thomas in for a visit as well and could play that both position type backer. He has that type of speed, size capabilities. I'm not ruling out Jewell or a few others but I don't think we go in the first. I don't think they are sold on who will be there.

With what we have at corner this year I think we are alright for now. Let Bradley see what he can do with this group. Sutton, Allen and sensabaugh with Bradley could help round out this group. Hilton is a guy that may be able to do a lot more than slot if needed too under Bradley. The kid has shown he can fight larger receivers for the ball. They need to extend this kid soon. They do like madox from Pitt. Another Hilton sized tough as nails wolverine type player. Small but don't take no chit from any sized player. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Definitely not...I'm not sure exactly how they construct their draft boards but I'm assuming they rank by position,then position and perceived need. If they rank them and say the 3rd or 4th best by position is there to be selected I feel you have to address the more immediate need at the same time keeping a eye out for future needs and talent. I guess what I'm trying to say is I would take the 3rd or 4th best at a more immediate need before the 1st or 2nd best at a position of lesser. Idk to me it's a crap shoot anyway just because you are picking the perceived best at any one position doesn't guarantee anything....
    I look at the NFL as a more year to year basis and especially in our win now scenario you have to try to draft guys who can help win sooner than later. I know you have to keep the future in mind to stay a consistent winner but because of injury and free agency/salary cap you really have to go for it every year because you never know what's gonna happen ,especially when you have a franchise QB now and you never know when you're gonna find another one....

I look at our team and roster and I see the biggest weaknesses talent wise and depth wise at the ILB and S positions. ILB we have Bostic on a 2 year deal and VW in his last year and no starters behind them. At S you basically have Burnett and Davis with nothing proven behind them. Even with our reserves I still don't see a FS in the bunch either. Maybe we are gonna switch from the single high and use our Safeties in a more interchangeable role idk but if not I think we're gonna struggle in the back end again..
    IMO I see a CB or TE pick in the first round as a luxury pick ,yes it would be nice to improve those spots but not at 28. I have faith in Bradley being able to develop and get more out of our CBs. I think Sutton and Allen can be really good for us. I say we give them a chance. Our track record for drafting CBs is abysmal. Like I said we can't keep swinging and missing. Lets develop what we have....

25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think before the Bostic and Burnett signings, we were looking at going ILB at S in rounds 1 and 2.

With those signings, I really think Colbert is giving himself the flexibility to take the BPA. Whether that is a CB, TE, OG or even a QB.

Fans may not like it, but I would not be shocked if our 1st round pick is something other than an ILB or S.