1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers drafting a QB at #28

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 2, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It would be a mistake IMO, then the team other needs get pushed back in the draft. Also there would be 4 QBs on the roster, one will have to be cut or put Dobbs on the practice squad. For a team with Super Bowl aspirations to draft a player in the first round who won't contribute for 3 years isn't smart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe. Ben is signed for this year and next. Jones or Dobbs could be traded. This group of qbs is pretty good and hoping there are this many good ones two years or more from now is a hope and prayer, especially if we draft late. Hard to say but if they want a certain guy that they think is THAT guy it's not too early. Let him learn while Ben IS still playing good. Nobody knows how long that will last no matter how long he says he wants to play. Father Time is undefeated.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Plus, you can't afford to lose two or three years of a rookie contract. You have to make hey while yourQB is on his rookie contract. Look at Seattle. They haven't been that great since Wilson got his big contract. The QB takes up soooo much money.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If the powers that be decide that the best player available at #28 is a qb, and there is no trade of proper value to move back, then a qb is the best pick. I'm sorry, i've been a steeler fan for going on 50 years, and those of you who think that next year's success is worth throwing away the next decade and a half are just wrong. If you don't know who Bubby Brister is, then you have no idea what the black hole of quarterback-less-ness (if thats a word) is like. I'd rather have a real standby than just hope that Ben doesn't lose a knee, or his timing, this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There wont be anyone left at 28. Im not at all impressed with Rudolph and feel Dobbs is better.

One of the big names will have to drop to them for it to even be remotely possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Watch the Pats make Luke Falk their 2nd rounder and be the top guy at the end of the decade.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Not to mention Mark Malone. No, seriously! Don't mention him!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Since you did mention him, how did drafting him with the 28th pick in the first round turn out????

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Why??? Why draft a QB???

We have Landry!!! Nuff said!!!

Cajun

10. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Because the future crops of QB's look grim over the next 2 years to say the least...This draft is deep with QB talent the next two or three years??? who knows??? If a quality QB is there #28 you make the investment, otherwise you'll be picking top ten often and for a longer time. All the great franchises groom their "franchise QB" and try and build their team around them thats why they're constantly in the the post season.

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I remember him as being mediocre. He went to high school in the town next to mine and he was the talk of the county as a high school student. I got tired of the local media's love affair with him pretty quickly.

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry what makes you think that Rudolph would be the next man up should Ben get hurt. It's clearly Landrys job. Rudolph has a lot to learn and a ways to go before he is pro ready. That would also mean trying to put Dobbs on the PS where he probably wouldn't last long.....so that means we wasted that pick too..Rudolph has never taken a snap under center and some want to downplay that. Even with the RPOs that are the new craze you still need to take the ball from under center and have the footwork in place to drop back and throw from the pocket. He's certainly not gonna take all his snaps from shotgun and it also hinders one of our best options with the play action pass. There's a reason why prototypical pocket passers that have come from a pro style offense in school are still the most sought after QBs....

13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I don't particularly think Rudolph, or Lamar Jackson, or anyone likely to be there will be the next man up, or will be a franchise quarterback. I would prefer that they got an A1 safety or inside linebacker. But thats not my call to make. If the powers that be think that the best player available at #28, without a strong trade down, is a QB, then they take a qb. They've done a lot more homework on these guys, watched more film, interviewed more teammates, coaches, and associates than any of the talking heads on NFL network, espn, or even here at thesteelersfans. I know that last one is hard to believe, but trust me its true.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well with all the scouting they did do I'd be willing to bet there's no way they view him as Ben's backup next year and that's what you alluded to. Like I said though in another post I'm against any QB that would be reasonably available at 28. I prefer to go for it while Ben is still here so my plan would be to draft players that can help sooner than later. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss some of"our" guys on the board who do a thorough job with their own scouting,with a lot fewer resources. Our coaches and scouting department even with all their advantages have been dead wrong before. I know it's a crap shoot but to me unless you are drafting your next franchise QB I wouldn't be taking one in the first round. I agree with what you said about Rudolph of Jackson being a franchise QB and I don't see how the Steelers could either....I would actually take a chance on Jacksons potential over Rudolph.....but that's just me.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think the Steelers will draft Mason Rudolph, they went out to dinner with the WR and Safety from that school ... not Mason.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe they are flying him in for a personal visit.

17. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    If the top ILB and Safties are gone, I’d be ok picking up a QB who fell to them. But I doubt that happens.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Then take a OLB, somebody who can actually contribute this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We have two first round picks at OLB.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe not for long....

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    With the signing of Berhe, Burnette, Bostic are they really going to draft Defense with the first pick? Big maybe me thinks. I mean if Evans is there I see them taking him, but if he isn't? LVE won't make it past 25 either. I think them bringing in veteran help on D is how they're Helping "Ben win now". I think pick 1 is BPA in all honesty. QB is the most important position to sure up, so if a QB is there and worth taking a chance on then why not?!

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So, Dupree 5th yr option might not be picked up. If you draft a high caliber OLB then he's already in the system, then he can take over Dupree's spot in 2019.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    What happens if Dupree plays well this year?:cool:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You can just as easily say....what if he doesn't because that's the direction his play is trending. I'm not saying OLB should be a priority just yet but if someone falls that we are high on you don't skip him because of the chance someone (Bud) really steps up. There are always injury concerns as well. Plus I think Watt is versatile enough to do other things and well. It would be a good problem to have to have 3 really good OLBs. I still feel ILB and FS would probably provide the best value in the first depending on who is left when we pick. Unless Edmunds,Evans or LVE is there I think there's a good chance a FS is the pick.....

25. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Pick the Best RB at 28. Bell is gone.