1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers did Najee wrong

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 6, 2024.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    By declining his fifth year option which was less than 7 million, they give some lame excuse about needing to see how the offense looks this season. Harris hasn't missed a game in three seasons, and is the only RB is team history to rush for 1,000 in each of his first three years. The team had plenty of cap space they managed to give new deals to Cam and Muth :rolleyes:.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    People are fawning all over everything Omar Kahn has done. Personally I think he has made a lot of mistakes. Not picking up Najee's option was a huge error.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Harris is a good RB but not a special one

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Harris can run off to another team
    No hurdles needed.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree,,but I'm going to wait, and see if they don't resign him 1st. For all we know that maybe next.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think the option should have been picked up, but at years end they will have to make a decision on Warren as well, as an UDA I think they can put a restricted tag on him that gives some leverage, but the bottom line is its a business, with a new OC it may come down to who fits the system best. I doubt they are going to sink long term contracts into both. Unless Najee lights it up I dont think his FA market is going to be huge, he likely will get some interest, but nothing earth shattering.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Watch the Steelers use the franchise tag on Najee next year.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think they should have picked up that option as well but RB’s seem to be a dime a dozen and I’m sure they looked at it that way as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I don't think it's worth paying a running back big bucks in todays NFL, unless he's another Barry Sanders. Draft a kid, hope he's good, use him up, and dump him while he's still on his rookie contract

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Well... Najee still has time to get an extension with the season. Just has to make the most of it. If it doesn't happen here?!

I'd imagine Harris will be getting paid somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Harris has been vocal at times about the value of RBs.

The Steelers decision here could be to let the market decide. In other words, at the end of this season, is Najee worth more or less.

12. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Harris is nothing special. I really thought he had the potential to be a Derrick Henry, but not the case. See how the season plays out. 1,000 yds rushing in a 17 game season isnt very impressive. But, in todays game everyone passes, before you say noone else is doing it.
    58yds a game rushing to get a 1,000 yds in a season. Used to be 100yds a game was awesome. Times have a changed. Lower expectations.
    Saying all this , hope they can reach a deal . Really like the 2 headed monster we have at RB… Harris/Warren.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I think in due time Omar could have built a good offensive line with the last 2 drafts. Time will tell. As far as wr and qb positions that is definitely another question. And about Harris, replaceable, but really like to reach a deal with him that doesn’t break the bank. Harris/Warren good combo.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This exactly. There are just SO MANY good backs in today's game that you have to be so good to get that big second deal. RB is just too replaceable. Look at Kyren Williams, Isaiah Pacheco, Aaron Jones, Austin Ekeler, Raheem Mostert, Jaylen Warren even... These guys all went day 3 or undrafted. We spent first round capital on Harris.

The Steelers didn't do Najee wrong... Najee did it to himself. We gave him every opportunity to shine, but he didn't. He's touched the ball 1006 times in a Steelers uniform. If he performed better, he'd have a contract. The FO thinks he is replaceable. They're right.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't think its a huge error. I think a contract would've been an error. I could've lived with the option, but its just not necessary. There are only 10 backs in the whole league that make more than 7 million a year. There are probably 2 dozen dudes that can bring what Najee brings to the table, and at a discounted cost to boot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    True, 58 yards a game is hardly impressive. Even less so when you realize that it would have taken Harris over 15 carries to get that 58 yards based on his career average.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Keep telling people they prefer Warren. Lot of people feel he is the better back.

Maybe I’m wrong but sure seems they feel that way. First they don’t pick up a very affordable option and now they pay Muth 12 million a year.

Sending a very loud and clear message to Harris.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Seems to me, without checking the stats, we have not thrown to Harris much. Don`t know why and I wish we did it more.

19. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    We threw it to him nearly 100 times his rookie year for 74 catches and 476 yards. We've thrown it to him less the last two years (53 targets for 41 catches in 2022 and 38 targets for 29 catches in 2023) mainly because Jaylen Warren exists. He's just a better target out of the backfield because of his explosiveness and ability in space. Part of it too is that we have to be under center when Najee is in the game and not in shotgun where he's essentially not a threat to run from. Makes it harder to feature a back in the passing game when you're lined up under center (just fewer options exist).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Name another RB that has rushed for more than a 1,000 yards in the last 3 seasons????

Oh,yeah you can't! Besides Najee no one has done it. Doesn't seem that easy to me if nobody else can do it :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Najee is a decent RB he’s not a game breaker and is part of a RB committee. Odds are he will start breaking down over the next couple years and was never worth a first rd draft pick. Next.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Interestinglt I saw a stat that suggested he had most of his success in 2023 running from the shotgun.

I guess the stars might be skewed by safe runs on 3rd and long mind.

23. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I personally would sign Harris to an extension, but the market just doest favor that move. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if neither Harris nor Warren will be in Pittsburgh next season.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Looks like he may do exactly this. Najee is a 3 tool RB can do it all and well.

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That's the thing. With the option, Najee is tied up for this year and next at a discounted price. The Steelers can literally run his wheels off for two years and then let him hit free agency in 2026. I like the combination of Warren and Najee. Between the option and the restricted tag you can keep both players together at a Steelers friendly price.

• Like Like x 1