1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 16, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    WJIII was our stud, not this panic pick

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bradleys first season, 2 games in. Going to need more time than that. Munch took a season or two for the line to round into shape.

Still, if this thing doesn't improve by the end of the year, Im all on board for dumping Butler and wouldn't mind Tomlin gone.

Get a real defensive guru in here. I like steeldeals idea of Rex. And I think Munch should take over as HC. Would hate to loose him coaching the line but we won't have him much longer anyway. He was offered an interview for a HC position last season and turned it down. That won't keep happening.

Munch HC
    Rex DC
    Bradley DB coach

I can get behind that.

• Like Like x 3
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    '03 did wonders for the team. We were able to draft Ben. There's too many holes on the defensive side. As I've been saying... it's gonna take a few years to get the D back to championship caliber. We simply don't have the talent.... unless Thomas and Adeniyi get thrown into the fire and pulll a "Kendrell Bell rookie year."

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I can respect that, but I see no improvement from last year to this year. We'll see what they do over the course of this season, but we're talking about two players who have actually gotten worse the longer they've played.

5. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I want this defense to continually get exposed.

I say that meaning, if it’s smoke and mirrors playing crap qbs+ turtle coaches don’t show true colors in the playoffs.

Work on it now. I can take a couple of bad seasons if it means elite defense later

6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Also dobbs and or mason with an elite defense > Ben with this defense.

Assuming they pan out as decent qbs

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Agree on the Butler dumping and keeping Bradley.

Bradley is not going to solve all these issues this young secondary has in two weeks. For that matter, this is a young secondary anyway. Severe growing pains lie ahead.

Butler on the other hand NEEDS to put together one heck of a defensive turnaround for the foreseeable future of the 2018 season. Each mishap like the one today increases his proverbial "temperature" on his proverbial "hot seat".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    No more linebackers covering tight ends that's a big part of the problem.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have found time and again this does not work. Has to be a safety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I love this idea but it will never happen.......:frown new: I was away all weekend so this is my first post about this game. This is getting old, like someone said in this thread I also thought getting rid of Mitchell and Spence would make this D better instantly! We change players and position coaches and still the same results only one thing is the same MT!!!!!

We have pissed away some great talent on this team the last 5-7 years with little to no success and it all comes back to the HC! Ownership needs to realize the problem and make the change. This is getting old year after year, why are we covering one of the best TE's in the NFL with a LB???? Have we not learned watching Gronk abuse us? I just don't get it and don't get me going how we screwed up using the clock on our last drive. If I am correct we had the ball 1st and goal at the 2 with 3:34 left and scored with 1:59.....come on man that is bad, smfh!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It looks like he got beat for 2 or 3 of those TDs against the Chiefs.

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The poor offense just cannot keep up with the points given up by our defense. Game reminded my of Jax. Whatever KC wanted to do seemed to work. The Shazier excuse is not acceptable to me as a reason for what happening of the field. He was a good LB. that's all. Hope he recovers soon.

13. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Edmunds was a joke today but like someone stated troy was a bust his rookie season atleast till end of year. That is when the light started going on for him........... Edmunds gets a pass but everyone else is garbage especially heyworthless....... Guys a bust

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agreed, I actually saw our best pass rushing linebacker, Watt, covering a wide receiver who got a big gain. Just plane stupid. :facepalm:

15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay Blast, only took a couple of years for you to see the light but I knew you would eventually get. lol Totally agree with your assessment. :applaud:

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Mark Madden (of all people) said it best.
    They keep using LBs to cover the tight end because it's how they've always done it.

Defensive tradition and all...they can't stop living in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Actually gronk was shut down by the jags secondary, they would have shut kelce down to if they were playing KC yesterday, unfortunately for us we dont have a coaching staff or the players to shut down TEs in this league:

Jalen Ramsey talked smack about Rob Gronkowski this offseason, then the corner's teammates went out and shut down the New England Patriots' tight end.

Primarily covered by Jacksonville Jaguars safety Tayshaun Gipson, Gronk compiled a measly two receptions for 15 yards on Sunday.

"They did a good job overall," Gronkowski said of the Jags' coverage, via the Boston Herald. "I just have to watch the film, how they did it. They've got good players. I have to play better. They did a good job. They're a good team."

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Edmunds needs to be more physical ... that hit on the RB down by the goal line was pathetic and lazy... let the RB walk right in

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He was a major reach, and the reason is he would have still been on the board in the 3rd round. The team needed a high draft pick at CB and the fan base wanted one, Burns was the wrong choice because he is too raw. I also think with good coaching he would make a decent safety, he isn't good enough to be a CB.

The main issue is he is a long strider, he lacks the shiftiness to change direction quickly and it is why he constantly bites hard on double moves. He tries to make up for his slow directional change by guessing, we all see what happens when he does that, long TD passes, and when he doesn't guess it turns into a long gain.

Davis needs to go, he has absolutely ZERO instincts and is almost always out of position in zone reads, you can't coach that up. he has amazing potential but not enough mental awareness to play anything but special teams, some guys just aren't smart enough to understand complexities at the NFL level. Davis is a guy who could function at the collegiate level but just lacks the football I.Q. needed for the big leagues, special teams player aka Shamarko Thomas.

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agreed, I watched that game, and the Jag's secondary almost completely shut Gronk down. Its was amazing to watch as there secondary players were always in the right places, had no penalties, and so so much better tacklers than our secondary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    "I think we just have to get rid of Butler and start off fresh"

LeBeau gone, did it improve? Carnell Lake gone, did it improve?

I almost never listen to coachspeak but I do remember a reporter asking Cowher if it bothered him that so many of his coaches were being taken by other teams. Especially DC's. One was Lebeau [years later rehired] another was Dom Capers [at Green Bay for years] Cowher said "Yes, but I'm still here."

So there you go!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yup and it will forever be known as the band aid game...

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    How about OLBs on WRs.....now there's a favorable matchup

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't you realize it's just part of the " confusion defense " strategy we were sold on this offseason. Like I said we were gonna be the ones confused. Draft 17 safeties but use our LBs in coverage....brilliant!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Fixed it for you.