1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 16, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought for sure getting rid of Mitchell and Spence alone, there would be some improvement for these guys man I was wrong about that. I also thought with the hiring of Bradley as DB coach, there would be less of the issues we have seen in the past in the secondary. After the signings of Burnett and Bostic we heard a lot about these two guys were good communicators, there's still communication issues on defense :shrug:.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Burnett and Bostic got abused by Kelce. It was brutal. Kelce looked like Gronkowski today.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You ain’t kidding.
    Communication was terrible today.
    I thought these guys would have more of a positive effect. It’s way to early to throw in the towel, but we need to figure something out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    They have a young secondary. Burns, Davis, and Terrell Edmunds. I can recall Troy Polamalu wasn't so hot his first year in the league.

People were crying back then he was a bust, but that didn't turn out to be the case did it?

With all that said, the coach staff needs to break down the miscommunications and clear them up quick or it's going to be a long year.

We still have no answer for athletic tight ends. Completely screwed against teams with these guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The Steelers still have no answer for these athletic tight ends. It gets exhausting watching them cut us up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Our defense is such mess right now I think we just have to get rid of Butler and start off fresh, but its probably a little to late for this season:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've been saying for years that the Steelers should switch to 4-3. They need to start drafting for 4-3 alignment starting in '19 draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The answer today would have been to actually play against the man. However just like previous years they focused too much on one facet and completely forgot everything else. Remember the divisional playoff game, they were so focused on shutting down Fournette that the first couple of plays that were PA passes to the TE were completions for 1st downs. Late in the game same thing sold out to stop Fournette on a 4th and 1 and its a fake to a wide open TE in the endzone. Today it was concentrate on stopping Hill and keeping Hunt bottled up. Everyone is looking at those two and forgets to cover the guy in their zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    But by his 2nd yr he was a beast. This is these guys 3rd yr

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    They should put Matt Thomas on them. Tell the kid he has one job. disrupt the TE in the pass. A little help time to time with bumps and zone help would be warranted also.

If I was coach lol. I think we all could see that Bostic or Burnett on him would not end well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That second Kelce TD Edmunds is looking at over the top coverage of the slot receiver instead of covering his man. Just too worried about Hill and not playing his responsibility

12. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    What sucks is this defense started off the first half of last year pretty good then fell off.. So by they logic are they gona get even worse? Lol. Granted not having shazier is a buzz kill

13. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I'll give you Edmunds, but Burns and Davis don't get to use the young excuse anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I had Burns as being a guy I thought could be the most improved on defense, welp not happening so far he still sucks. Also Tuitt got a pass last season because he got injured early, he needs to step up and make more plays now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I really don't see a 2nd year player as a veteran. This is the first year really they both have to step up and be leaders in the secondary. I do think they need to step it up obviously, but am not willing to quit on them yet.

Tomorrow the Steelers looks at tape, and as Tomlin says let it do the talking. Find out where the errors are and correct them quick, even if that means personnel changes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I put the state of the current defense mainly on Kevin Colbert.

Dupree, Burns, and Edmunds all seemed like total reaches to me in the first round. (Of course it is too early to tell for Edmunds.)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Burns and Davis overrated!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I've never really been big on Burns, although I WANT to be big on Burns as he was a #1 round pick. It's hard to see all the good a corner does though as we tend to only see the bad a majority of the time. He's certainly not a game breaker.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Severe growing pains of a young secondary is an insufficient excuse. The front seven has to generate pressure.

Within the same vein, the secondary also has to communicate and execute more efficiently. However, it is as Alex Kozora stated; too inept in talent while being too inept in coaching.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Here is how next Monday is going to play out. It's Monday night so even with all this the team shows up big and ready to play. Fitz is no threat to run so the defense will have some shots as he finds holes in the zone. The offense will light it up, big night for AB and Ben.

For a week all the talk about the defense will be gone until after the Ravens game

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2018-9-16_21-55-35.png

Could we really call what was on the field today a defense? Didn't look like much resisting attacks.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Thats is a good assessment we really struggle with mobile QB's...

probably because Tuitt and Heyward are too slow to run down even slower QB outside the pocket. Gosh it would be nice to have a NT.

24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Both were drafted with the potential tag attached to them, especially Burns. Lets not forget that Burns was very raw coming out, although he had the potential to be the best CB in that draft. I do think the Steelers reached to get him because he was so raw, but on top of that, he's a guy that needs solid coaching. I just don't think he's getting it. If he had been drafted by a different team he could very well turn into a stud, because the traits are there. I have no confidence our coaching staff can get the best out of him.

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Looks like we are rebuilding mode again honestly. I don’t expect them to turn it around defensively, same crap the last 5 years.

Team might need ass kicking losing season to turn this franchise around like before Ben came.