1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers chances of getting by New England this year just got a whole lot better

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dd63, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I dunno about DHB as an offensive weapon. He’s already gonna see a lot of snaps at safety.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    inside joke lol sorry PWP

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Not to worry, Haley plans on getting 10 field goals and 1 TD to hang with Brady :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I disagree. We can hang with them we just haven't. Our offense is not playing to its potential, they start hitting on all cylinders and we can hang with anyone. (I can't believe we still live in fear of the Patriots)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers chances of beating the Patriots at Heinz Field: 10%
    Steelers chances of beating the Patriots at Gillette Stadium: 1%

The odds are not in our favor. :icon e sad:

I keep saying it and I'll say it again... it's up the offense. I could care less if the defense plays man or zone. The D is already improved with Watt and Haden on the field. The offense must generate TDs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Agree but this years defense is nothing like last. Much improved. Kinda like Tide hehe

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The pressure up the middle is the real key. You beat him by beating him up. I do think the Steelers are better equipped to mix in man coverage now with the development of Burns and the addition of Haden. Of course, Gronkowski is an issue, but the absence of Edelman helps. Sure, they have plenty of good receivers, but none of them do what Edelman does as well as he does it.

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And to think we offered him a big contract, we do screw up enough signing FAs who are injured got lucky this time:

Colbert: Steelers 'made an attempt' to sign Dont'a Hightower

Dont'a Hightower spent an entire day in Pittsburgh before deciding to re-sign with the New England Patriots.

On Sunday, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert discussed the team's pursuit of the Patriots' linebacker, who signed a four-year, $35 million contract to remain in New England despite reports that the Steelers offered him more money to come to Pittsburgh.

"We made an attempt, it didn’t work, we're fine," Colbert said, via Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "We move on. We're very confident in Vince (Williams). That’s why we signed him to an extension last year.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hightower leaving the first game against the chiefs, where the pats were at home, made a huge difference in that game. of course the chiefs exploited the fact he was out and went after his replacement that night. would we? :shrug::cool:

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    In this line of thinking, take last years game, toss in this years defense, add a healthy Bell and and a healthy WR rather than Coates, and I believe we could play a competitive game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Not sure about the odds, but agree with your last point.

NE plays to exploit mismatches. Brady can diagnose those in man or zone.

The way to win is to do the same back to them. And that means the offense lighting it up.

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The people who don't thinks this helps our cause are overlooking that this also makes the Patriots more likely to lose to some other team before we have to face them in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Nah I'm not buying it. What happened last year?? They didn't have Gronk, but now they do. With Brady's over 95% completion rate, we seem to never have the ability to stop their high-powered offense, regardless of their personnel they always seem to crush us on the scoreboard. Offensively, our high-powered paper offense is led by Chris Boswell for the 2nd straight year...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I dunno.. NE is allowing teams to put a s hit load of points up.. Exception is Atlanta. I think the average points allowed if I remember correctly for NE is 23 and Steelers is 17. I like our chances this year with this defense. We are midway through the season. Offense is going to straighten itself out.. Believe :)

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    4399216F-C2C5-454E-B298-3D6579532B9B.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we just need to worry about the lions this week before we get into the big picture. we need to keep winning and win the games we should to make the Pats game even matter. :cool:

18. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I've often wondered why a defender doesn't take the lineman down with him. basically pull the lineman down on top of him so it makes it look like he (the defender) was tackled. If you end the play with the lineman on top of you, there's a good chance that the lineman could be called for holding.

19. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Agreed, in addition to the fact we always get out-coached. Mr. Bill has Mr. Standard is the Standard’s number. Not sure he has changed his game plan against us in years, but we just can’t figure out that puzzle for some reason.

20. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    They will dink and dunk us like the usually do. Brady takes what you give him. They will lull us to sleep and then they hit Gronk for a 50+ yard TD strike. It’s kind of like groundhog day when we play the Pats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They outcoach everybody.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    We don't win in Detroit the Ravens will be 1 game behind us after destroying the Dolphins. I am way more concerned about that then the Patriots at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    And also staying healthy & staying away from catastrophic injuries. Halfway thru the season, we're doing really well ...keep fingers crossed

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    In the AFCCG they went with 4 WRs most of the game, a look they’d only used a handful of times previously that season. And early no huddle,which they also hadn’t done much of.

The Steelers were coming off a bout of illness, a tough stretch of games and had shown problems with defensive communication in time pressured situations.

Coincidence? Obviously not - of course NE change their game plan against us for each meeting.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We shall see, I hope another team eliminates the Pats first.