1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers chances of getting by New England this year just got a whole lot better

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dd63, Oct 26, 2017.

1. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Have to disagree here. Thats not the side of the football Im concerned about with them.

On a different note, may have dodge a bullet there by not landing him in free agency. Different situation/circumstances but even still, maybe that muscle was on its way out and just a matter of time before it happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

I hear what you're saying, but I think this will mean a few more losses for them and subsequently, a better chance of getting homefield advantage should we meet them in the playoffs. And that can only help our cause.

• Like Like x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They had no problem shutting down the Falcons without Hightower, last year in the AFCCG with no Gronk the Steelers still couldn't stop the Patriots offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    True true and damn the reminder!

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This year's Falcons are a disaster.

I'll believe the Steelers can stop the Patriots when I see it, but I do think their chances are a bit better if they can get the defense healthy. Tuitt seems like the real key there. Remember, the Steelers were without Heyward in that game. The additions of Watt, Haden and Alualu have also made a difference. So has Hilton growing into a significant role.

Of course, it's going to take better play by the offense, too. It would help to actually have Bell this time around, but that's tough to count on given his history of breaking down late in the season.

(Yes, I know Bell played in the AFC Championship game, but he was hurt before that contest even started and that is why he did nothing but hurt the team when he was in there.)

7. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    It would be nice if one of the other AFC East teams could field a decent team for once. It's sure not this Miami team I'm watching, and I don't trust the Bills. I'm sick of watching NE get the division without a fight every year.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Stopping Gronk is key. Should we fail at that, it does not matter too much about much else....

.. It just may be more of the same; lack of redzone production also being a major reason.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Or winning it with refs help like the Jets game two weeks ago.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    As long as Tom Brady is still the quarterback of the Patsies, our chances of beating them, especially in Foxboro, is only slightly above slim to none.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    They can have Ryan mallet, Blake bortles or mike Glennon, and still beat us

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    They beat us just as well at home lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Belichick eats fundamentalist coaches like Tomlin for lunch.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016

I thought he was Baptist

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Unless we can play some solid man to man defence, our chances of beating the Pats aren't good. Brady will destroy our soft zone coverage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This, x 1 bajillion percent.

Seriously, can we for once make a game plan that isn't "we're going to do what we always do" to beat these guys?

• Like Like x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    We have to score to beat them. Our D should do enough if we play em

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I like it. No Hightower increases the likelihood of NE losing another 1-3 games this season. Maybe we're able to take #1 seed. Homefield advantage over NE is a MASSIVE gamechanger :club:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Our offense can't hang with Pats....need to find 2 more consistent weapons.

20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Redman and DHB

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    We're slowly developing the up front pressure to reduce the amount of time opposing qb's have in the pocket. Giving our DB's a little help in disrupting the timing will make a dramatic difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The hard thing to do is for the defense to get to Brady and it doesn't matter who the rusher is. Nate Solder has a license to hold on every play. I watched the game against the Texans, on 40 snaps he blatantly held on 37, that isn't an exaggeration, he gets beat on the first step and he grabs and doesn't ever get called for it, I guess they like him for some reason. Their right guard gets away with more than I see others get called for, I started looking at that 3 years ago when I was wondering why Brady rarely gets hit and how they block and so I started watching their games on my neighbors game pass. The amount of holding their line gets away with is incredible, not even Manning's line got that kind of treatment, the Pats line flat out tackles guys, not pancake block but tackles guys by the legs and ankles at times and they never draw a flag, it is hard to beat that kind of blocking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Maybe that's why Deebo isn't playing as much? He gets held every play. He bull rushes, dips, and nearly gets his helmet torn off. The refs either don't think it's fair that he's so much better or they're pissed at him because their wives are obsessed with his workout videos. Either way, they won't penalize the tackle.

24. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The teams that have the most defensive success against the Patriots cover well, and get pressure on Brady up the middle. It's well documented that although Brady moves adequately, he is prone to getting sacked when pressure is up in his grill.As mentioned before, tight man to man secondary coverage is key to allowing the extra second or two for the front seven to get there.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You're an optimist now :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1