1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers Albatross

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Roonatic, Sep 30, 2021.

Time to vote

Poll closed Feb 27, 2022.
  1. A) Art 2

22.2%
  2. B) Mikey Popcorn Tomlin

26.7%
  3. C) Big Limelight Ben

33.3%
  4. D) Bad Luck

4.4%
  5. E) other

13.3%
  1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I can't resist but I need to add the Bengals are down 14 to Jacksonville.

To JACKSONVILLE.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    " Kept us closer " Wow, How the mighty have fallen!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Money Post!

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm letting people decide for themselves. I decided that Tomlin has saddled up Ben & just rode him wherever Ben wanted to go.

The albatross could be any of them imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Please tell me your not surprised.

6. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Well done on the thread title. I never knew what the origins of this were, so at least I learned something. For the record, I voted Tomlin.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Which means?!?!

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    I chose other.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I should have probably included all of the above but that would skew the data. :drinks:

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Umm... I believe you misunderstand what my choice of "other" implies.

11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Enlighten us AQL, i always listen to your angle.

12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Tied now so forget what I said lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Rooney could have let Tomlin go and hired a different minority candidate to give others the same opportunity he gave Tomlin. By keeping Tomlin onboard Rooney is doing the rule a disservice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Organizational leadership. Everything that has hindered this team, from Ben, to cap hell, to coaching, to losing players, etc...ALL were the result of conscience decisions made within this teams leadership circle over time. So, I would say team leaders who don't wear a uniform. Yes, players play and some do not play very well so its up to the adults in the room to do something about it. If they don't, I can't blame the player because the leaders are enabling it to continue. Poor depth to use to replace poor performance? Who is to blame for that, the players? Every organization always reports up to someone who either takes responsibility or implements corrective measures. Some teams, its the owner, others, its the HC's who the owners have delegated this task to. In conclusion, I have no idea so I went with who most people blame when their team is not doing well and usually are the one's being fired. One thing is for sure, complaining about it now does nothing and doing what is possible to support the cause does. Lets hope we don't get our teeth kick in on Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My post was not in relation towards either the time of the game being tied to even the end result. My question was the meaning of Jacksonville leading against Cincy at the time. Nothing more to it than that.

Realistically speaking, who cares if Jacksonville beat Cincy?! Jacksonville is not even on the schedule. Them beating Cincy proves nothing as the Jacksonville Jaguars are not the Pittsburgh Steelers.

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, no, he could have let Tomlin go and hired the best qualified candidate for the position regardless of who or what they are.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    So, observations and statements ( been drinking, so...)
    Like Glenn, I think the Rooney rule has nothing to do with the Tomlin situation. I think he, like Ben are a bit of misguided loyalty to past achievements. Rooney Rule says you just have to interview minorities for a position, I think?

not sure Colbert is the money guy, think that kicks over to Khan?

IMO, I think Tomlin is a great motivator, a good D-coordinator, and a decent coach when you have a seasoned, veteran group (his 2 Super Bowls, Clark, Troy, Pouncey, Miller, Big Snack, Keisel, Hines, Farrior, Ike) But when the team leaders left, there was a void. When you need a solid, grab ‘em by the shoulderPads and talk some sense into them leader, he ain’t the guy. And that’s where this team is. I saw that with the AB fiasco, and the James Harrison crap.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think the Rooneys will be hiring minorities for the long haul. Give them opportunities. :shrug:

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    True, but that's not the point of my response to the post I quoted.

20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Umm, the Bengals game they led time of position by a bunch though. Can't give up big pass plays period! 37 second drive to end the half when you finally had a tie score?

21. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    Bieniemy would be a phenomenal head coach, seeing as how the defensive side would be 9-10 first round picks, and offense should have a first year starting QB. I say that not due to minority, but due to Super Bowl winning OC.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  22. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    Anddddd... Bungles won.... FML...

23. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This kid just found his Superbowl.

A "HS coach", yikes

"60%" oh boy what arbitrary numbers.

I love my couch too but f*ck me if this isn't some made up Monday morning couch potato wrapped in aluminum foil bullsh*t.

I will only ask if there is any other "competitive team" that starts an OLine with 2 rookies and 3 unproven. A secondary with a 32 year old and a undrafted free agent and QB post throwing arm surgery.

This team lack talent/experience. I'd put an option in for Colbert. Id suggest there were some major failures. Ab lev burns layne Dupree nelson Hilton etc.
    I named crazy to talent to "will not retain services."

We can get into cap issues and the like but let's face it, this team lacks talent/experience. That's on the door step of the prez of football ops. That's an ability to know when to spend and where to draft and who to sign.

I've mentioned before but I think the Steelers put people on notice by bring in "assistants" and keeping the lame duck on one year contracts. I love some Colbert but I think it's wrapping up.

We want heads to roll but let's acknowledge we're missing talent at a number of places. If we're hopeful some of them can grow over this year. Maybe we compete but talent-wise we're closer to the Texans than we are Chiefs.

Speedy maybe we're on the same page but it's reads like you are on the corner spinning, twirling, and throwing a sign with an arrow pointed towards 1 issue.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Again, not what the rule is about, but ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Should Have Bet Bengals. Everyone keeps talking about their Qb ....Who I liked...but seem not 2 realize it's the D they put all their Money in

• Agree Agree x 1