1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steeler Management blew this even before the season began.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Dec 31, 2019.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess so......

2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You are looking at the stats of when he was thrown into the fire in Oakland when Ben went down. You have to dig to find his preseason stats which are solid and better way to judge a prospect.

3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    His pre season stats (against vanilla pre season defenses) and his inability to move the O against Oakland (with an actual game planned defense) are what lead to his eventual demotion and trade. The only good he could have provided was one less roster move to bring in a mobile QB for "mobile QB" week in practice... That's it.

4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Hack.

First, thanks for your homework of the list you compiled. Good Stuff!

Honestly, I would not know if any of them would have been more serviceable than what we have in Mason. For Duck I think there would be several on the list that would be viable options. I truthfully could not tell you who as I have minimally followed the careers of most of them. The gist of my point really was we had to go from one extreme to another if Ben did go down for a whole season; which obviously happened. You are talking about a huge gap of experience between a 15-Year Veteran in Ben to "basically" two rookies with zero starting experience.

Now, Ben was thrown into that same "fire" when he took over but his success was more of an exception than the rule. Plus, he had a much stronger supporting cast on both sides of the ball when he was thrust into the starting role. I personally, felt that from a "Security Blanket" point of view, it would have best to have had a Veteran QB with some years under his belt as Option #1 before Mason or Duck. Unless, Management's thought process (just speculation) was if Ben does get hurt we are rolling with Mason/Duck no matter what to see what we have with them.

To me, reading between the lines on that mentality, and once again this is just speculation, that the Front Office felt that if Mason/Duck work out then fine if not we always have next year. If that was their mode of thinking, it kind of sends the message: Well screw the season at the expense of getting these two young backups some playing experience.

To me that would be unacceptable as it kind of says we as Management really do not give a hoot about the outcome of the season. In fairness, to Management, maybe they felt that because of their high grade of Mason (1st Round Material) that he was NFL ready to seamlessly slide into the QB position if Ben did go down without jeopardizing the outcome of season. In that case, I am okay with Mason taking over but would still have rather had seen a Veteran QB as Option #1.

Question: If you were to have picked a Veteran Back-up from the list you compiled, (once again, thanks for your homework) who would it have been? Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm thinking about buying a Ferrari. Do I really need a spare tire? Nvm. Stupid question. It's a Ferrari. What could go wrong?

Those fumbles were killers. But one play doesn't make or break a game. I know I will get plenty of blowback for this, but it's true. If it was the only mistake anyone made on both teams, then yeah, it was the reason for a loss. But when you have opportunities throughout the game to put more points on your side and keep points from their side and you don't, then that fumble didn't sink you. The cumulative effect of the other 59+ minutes did.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Ben was struggling too. He had great stats but we put up 0 points in the 1st and 3rd quarter against a team that didn't even want to win. Steelers historically suck against the Raiders. Not to mention being a back-up for an ironman like Ben who rarely gets injured. That's got to be tough to stay prepared. I would have liked to see Dobbs this year with weeks preparation as starting QB over 123 receiving yards and 0 tds. Simple as that. Yinz aren't even being fair acting like getting thrown into the fire in Oakland is your only chance.

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I can understand why someone would have liked to see that... It's a whole what if scenario in restropsect. However, there is a reason we didn't get see that happen and it's the same reason jaguar fans didn't get to see it happen... He is not a good QB. I may not sound fair but I'm honest and I'm one of many that have said the same thing going back to his college days. Yinz aren't being realistic bro.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    ????
    Rarely gets injured? You thinking of the same Ben?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with what you are saying however go back a few and see what I was responding to about naming who is responsible. I get there is 60 minutes in a game and there are plenty of plays you can point to. However when you have the lead late in the game and you turn the ball over you can put blame there as well. One play sure does change things for sure I mean just go back to the Sb with the Seachickens and Cheat, if they run the ball it could have had a majorly different out come big time. Same can be said about these fumbles. Like I said the fact that someone wants to claim we would have won with a QB who we traded but over looks the fact that we gave away 2 games with fumbles blows my mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm with ya. I went round and round a couple months ago about those fumbles here. Argued tooth and nail about situational awareness and how those could/should have been avoided.

JuJu has lost two fumbles at critical times, once last year and once this, fighting for extra yards late in a game when he had already gotten a first down. In the first half, you can fight for extra yards, fumble, and still have a half to overcome the mistake. Inside 2 minutes of the 4th, you can't.

A better coached team, especially one whose HC preaches situational awareness, wouldn't be making those mistakes. One of the reasons I am so against Tomlin. The team doesn't resemble one that follows his marching orders. He doesn't fix the chronic problems he addresses to the public. It's all just talk with him, and fist pumping, and cheerleading, and enabling. COTY my ass.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I get it man, my deal was mostly about how Dobbs could have saved the season when A-he wasn't here and B- he didn't even play so how can you tell what he would have done? Also what we do know is 2 fumbles cost us 2 games.....that is facts right there and we win them 2 games we are not playing to get in the playoffs week 17 we would already be in.

Now as for Tomlin, I have said many times I am not a fan and wanted him gone gone gone last year. Now with that said if we didn't let him go last year how can you justify letting him go now? No Ben, 2nd and 3rd sting qb hurt. 1-3 string rb and wr hurt all pro center and de hurt....starting guys from other teams practice squad.......STARTING THEM! Another thing many are not thinking about is the passing of Drake. That plays a big part for this team more than most know. I heard the Vikings coach and players talk about how the passing of their oline coach Sparano before the season affected their players. I just don't think it is fair to MT to send him packing after this year if they gave him another chance after last year. jmo

12. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Talk realities..... a veteran backup QB like Teddy Bridgwater commanded a +$7m contract..... had we signed him or someone in that price range.... we would have been out of the Minkah Fitzpatrick lottery. Teams generally don't carry multi-million dollar backups, especially the Steelers. Place blame on how the season ended up if you want, there were a lot of other injuries and variables that played a factor. Ben returns in 2020, we have a decent 2nd round draft slot, who knows..... maybe we draft a QB early this year?

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Valid point, but consider the alternative...what if Ben doesn't respond to rehab and hangs it up? Pouncey has already stated he's retiring with Ben. Is it fair to MT, the organization, the team, or the fans to leave our HC in place to completely rebuild the offense? What if we bring in someone else to take on the overhaul with new players at key positions?

For me, it might be the best thing to do to start fresh from the HC down. Because what if Tomlin stays on and overhauls the offense and it is even worse than this year? Does Tomlin get released after next season with a losing record and a Ben-less offense? Lot of what-ifs there. But it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    OK, here are the pre-season stats.
    Rudolph- 113.3 QB rating, 4TD - 1 int.
    Ben- 99.2 QB rating, 1 TD - 0 int
    Hodges- 73.4 QB rating 2 TD- 1 int
    Dobbs- 57.6 QB rating, 0 TD - 2 ints.
    As you can see Dobbs was clearly the worst of the 4 QB's we had in pre-season. If anything our record would have been worse if he would have played after Ben went down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Just want to be honest with you bruh I never read your posts because they are very very long. My humble apologies.. Suggestion .. At the end of your post maybe put TLDR and then a quick cliff notes or description of what your intending to convey.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Like you say to many what if's............

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Now show Dobbs preseason stats the other two years?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Busman.

I know, I know (smile). You are not the first to offer this constructive advice. Honestly, it is well received and appreciated. Sometimes, I just get into this writing mode and I feel like I may be leaving a stone unturned. Seriously, I hear ya'. I am trying to work on that aspect of my posting. And do not ever feel bad offering some good advice. I am a teacher as you may know. So, the concept of "Constructive Criticism" is always welcomed.

Your Quote; “Wait.. Ok lets not.. Changed my mind”.

No, no my friend. Do not ever feel like you have to take something back with me. Unless, it is downright rude; which I have very thick-skin anyway (smile). I know is not your style anyway as I have read your posts before. I think however this is the first time that you and I have ever exchanged messages in depth. Either way, great to chat with you. I have a thread coming up to post. It is ironic what you suggested as I am going to do is chop it up into the Initial Thread and Two follow-up posts to make it easier for everyone, including myself, to digest. Take care.

19. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Who the hell put a 1st round grade on Rudolph??

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    "What have you done for me lately?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I could show my doctor a picture of a bowel movement from two years ago as well. Pretty sure he's going to be more concerned with what I'm pooping right now.

I could care less how Dobbs stunk up the joint two years ago (preseason 38-64, 2 tds, 3 ints) or last year (regular season 6-12, 43 yds, 1 int). All I need to know is that he wasn't good enough to make this roster after 3 years of sucking.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I was thinking of this earlier in the day. Steel Elvis had a great post, I just want to add my thoughts. What significant B/u was available? I do not recall exactly, but it was not pretty. Even then, besides Bridgewater having a great season in his role, and Tannehill taking over in TN, who really would you say could have been trusted as B/U? Tannehill never really was a real star in Miami. Teddy stayed at a great price I believe to get this shot, either in NO if Brees decided to pack it in, or in a market where he is still young enough to get top cash. Who could have for seen Tannehill dong the job he did, and would ha have came here knowing the team just signed ben to a huge extension.

Then look at Jacksonville, Foles, who played lights out just a few years ago as B/U and wins a SB, then loses his job to a 6th round pick rookie! My point, not many B/u's are going to give you many quality starts. With so few quality starters, the b/u's are worse yet. a few have shining moments, but I do not think anyone would have made much of a difference this year, jmho.

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Good to know we are in good company here on this board. The part about " Wait Ok lets not, Changed My Mind" is not directed toward you but rather it's part of my sig line and it references the firing of Tomlin. Unfortunately I have been going back and fourth about the efficacy of our sometimes beloved Coach T. No point in brining that back up as there are a ton of threads already about him already.

Thanks for taking my suggestion under advisement but don't take me too seriously :) lol

24. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey The Glory Days.

No disrespect to SDOT. However, I agree with you. Dobbs was just not good enough to make the roster. He had three years to prove himself. Good thing he has that Degree in Aerospace Engineering.
    Hey Busman.

We are cool my friend.

I always get a chuckle from you signature end line below:

Your Quote: "FIRE!!! MIKE!!! TOMLIN!!!!"

Man, from what I have seen on this board, and that opinion, really must get some posters "fired-up". I wrote about this earlier in the week. I get a kick out of some of the mud-slinging that goes on between board members regarding this issue. The passion from both sides gets pretty intense at times. Some of it is downright comical I tell you.

Like I have stated this is a great platform for all of us to express our opinions. If that is yours, then great. It is not derogatory or malicious it is jut how you feel. I respect it! I have let folks here know that for the first five years of his tenure, I was a huge Tomlin fan. However, my position has faded over the years based on fact not emotion. Sometimes, I think that is where some posters can not separate the two. I have been there also (Objective vs. Subjective). It is just human nature. I try to remain objective when called for and subjective when it applies.

I am always open to other poster's views; especially, if they support them with facts. Like yours, and the "long posts". It is true. I acknowledge it. What am I going to do? Go cry in the corner? Boo Hoo (smile). Oh "woe is me". Bunk that! Given that, I get some people react different and I try to respect that and take that into account with my initial posts and rebuttals. It is all about respect no matter how right, wrong, or indifferent one's post/rebuttal may be. Anyway Go B & G! Take care.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    QB. People trying to dig too deep for reasons.

With Ben, this team makes a deep playoff run and maybe more.

They were never going to win the SB with the band of misfits behind Ben, Dobbs wouldn’t have saved them either.

Once Ben went down I went on auto pilot. I’m happy they gave me as many wins as they did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1