1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steeler Management blew this even before the season began.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Dec 31, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    You asked a question and I answered it we had wins and fumbles cost us games that is a fact. QB play was bad no denying that at all but fumbles by a WR and RB cost us 2 games, and my additions tells me that would of put us well into the playoffs......

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Can't argue with the premise of the original poster. Shame on the coaching staff and FO for going into the season with an aging QB with no plan B. It is their job to assess the talent we have and they clearly were either completely wrong or where aware of the situation and took a stupid gamble.

IMO there are several layers to this gaffe. It exposes our ability to develop young talent or it exposes our ability to assess young QB talent...or maybe both. If the coaching staff told the FO that these guys are horrible then why wasn't anything done about it? No one is asking for a good starting QB as your back up. We arguably had the worst QB play in the NFL . Statistically we were 2nd worst. Other teams had QB changes and injuries with better results.

Aside that from the obvious lack of attention to details Tomlin shows since he's been a HC, the last 7 years have been a failure of monumental proportions w/ a HOF QB , HOF WR, and potential HOF RB. It should not take the better part of a decade to rebuild a defense. Other teams have won with avg defenses...so it's not an excuse. 1 year is a fluke. I'd be fine giving up 2 years to rebuild. Year 3 you better be competitive. 7 years straight of failure is a fact Tomlin cannot deny...he owns it. It's all on him. Why the ownership is ok with this is beyond me. It seems the owners are now happy to just being competitive enough to keep the stands full and the merchandise selling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Thigpen82.

Great points my friend. Oh, trust me, I realize that there was more than one problem to the season. Especially in your quote: "the run game would have the same problems, as would we still have open field fumbles that cost us two games". I actually devoted a poll thread to that titled: Who is to mostly blame for our losses this season? In part, it points out those blunders and fully exonerates Mason of any blame for those losses. For the record, I like Mason and have been in his corner all season.

Given that, and I am not sure if you agree with me or not, but it has been said by many analysts and coaches, as well as me, that the QB is the most important position on the team. I tend to agree with that. You do not have to look any further than all of Cowher's shortcomings to see that justification.

Look at a the list of QBs under Cowher prior to Ben. Once we got Ben, and was able to surround him with a strong supporting "O" and "D" that were already in place, Wow, what a difference that made for the Steelers. 15-1 his first year, Super Bowl Victory that 2nd year. And please, I hope you are not one of those who said: "Then what happened to year #3?" I posted this several times in other threads because I am so sick of hearing about that. Two simple answers to that question:

Ben's:
    • Near-Death Motorcycle Accident.
    • Emergency Appendectomy.

Two major medical issues that derailed Ben's performance; especially for the first half of the year with a 2-6 record and then when we he finally starting feeling some sense of "normalcy" after two major traumas to his body and mind we went 6-2 the second half of the season.

Side Note: Sorry if it seems I am was lashing out at you about that 3rd year of the Ben-Cowher era. I was not Thigpen82. And maybe I jumped the gun on you about your opinion of that 3rd year. I do not even know how you feel about it. I just get so enraged when all of the Tomlin-Loyalists (not saying you are a Tomlin-Loyalist either) want to point to that third year of the Ben-Cowher Show but do not mention the obvious that I just stated above about it.

I have to somewhat laugh here because of the term "Normalcy" that I used. Yeah, whatever that may mean in a punishing sport with 300 pound men chasing you around and pouncing on you (smile).

What Ben went through would have been devastating enough for the average person to recover from in as fast a time that he did. He probably was still playing in a lot of pain, both physical and psychological, in that second half of the season. A true gritty competitor I tell you. Just Wow!

However, just too little too late to make the playoffs and defend our Championship. Nonetheless, just more proof of the primary importance of the QB position, IMO.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    QB is the most important position on the field, the Eagles won their division with no WR having over 500 yards.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Had Rudolph not been hurt, Steelers most likely win vs. Jets. He was moving the ball much better than Duck.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    After that Bills game I was over the Duck story, I think a competent veteran QB could've won them a few more games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Landry Jones.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Landry>Duck

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Hey Steelwinds, be careful when criticizing the head coach and management on this board. They'll attack you. :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Playing the victim now?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It also helped that they play in the NFC east. Somebody had to win it!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep, never any criticism of Tomlin here lol

13. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    really.gif

• Like Like x 1
  14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Child, please!

• Like Like x 1
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    We all know that Dobbs would have won that game. :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    When the hell did Dobbs turn into Montana? Or even a decent quarterback?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey DukeDukeDaDaDa.

Yeah, I have a pretty good grip on who the "players" are on each side. Yes, I have been "attacked" as well. I just ignore them. Why waste my oxygen? I try to post well-thought out discussion points but sometimes it is "all in vain". I wrote a post about this last week regarding the "mud-slinging" that goes on for those who take it to a whole other level. The gist of my post was that I find it to be extremely "comical". Personally, I refuse to get "baited" into their BS. However, I do enjoy watching them from the sideline. Some of them are downright funny.

If they want to rationally discuss a valid topic, then great! Otherwise, they can "kick rocks". Why let them ruffle your feathers? Man, I do not even personally know these people here. Although, the few that I have bonded with, as much as you can on a Message Board in Cyberspace, have been really cool. I look at this board as a great outlet to share a common denominator... THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS. I do not come here to be stressed out by a few knuckleheads. DukeDukeDaDaDa, you and I are cool my friend, for whatever that is worth to you. For me, it carries legitimate weight. Take care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Who are these magical backup QBs? I like Dobbs, but he couldn't even get on the field in JAX

So who is the one you want

AFC N
    Rudolph, Duck
    RG3 - *
    Garrett Gilbert
    Ryan Finley

AFC S
    Tannehill - *
    Bryan Hoyer
    Gardner Minshew
    AJ McCarron

AFC W
    Matt Moore
    Drew Lock
    Tyrod Taylor - *
    Deshon Kizer

AFC E
    Stidham
    Matt Barkley
    Josh Rosen - *
    Trevor Siemian

NFC N
    Mannion
    Blough
    Boyle
    Chase Daniel

NFC S
    Teddy Bridgewater - *
    Grier, Allen
    Matt Shaub - *
    Griffin

NFC W
    Geno Smith
    Mullens
    Hundley
    Blake Bortles - *

NFC E
    Rush
    Eli Manning - *
    Josh McCoun - *
    Case Keenum - *

So maybe 10 backup QBs in the league would have been an upgrade...and of those 10...maybe 4 are really an upgrade...and not just a guy who has starting experience (Bortles, Rosen, McCoun)

The QB talent is thin after the first 20....its paper thin after the first 32.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I was also more pissed about not replacing Nix, especially after Ben was out permanently. However, I am on the fence about previously bringing in a 2-4 million a year back-up. Other than getting cheap shots to the knee or head, Ben has been an iron man, mostly. But going forward, they need a competent veteran back-up, and Mason as 3rd string.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelersrule6.

This is the point I was making about winning a few more games. Add two more Ws and we are in the playoffs. I really do not think the Offense is a bad as some people are making them out to be. Actually, as a collective 11-Man unit they are talented. The problem with the "O" is that they were never able to all get on the field at the same time. They were never able to build any type of chemistry at any point in the season. This in itself created a major problem for the QB. If Ben was OK, then he probably would have been able to work around/with this.

However, by Ben being hurt, this just made the task of basically two "rookie" QBs that much more difficult. Once again, I will absolve Mason from any blame in the following games which easily could have gone our way.

Seattle: Moncrief's-tip pass dropped. Leads to Seattle INT. and then game-wining TD drive eventually.
    San Francisco: Conner's fumble.
    tirdmore: JuJu's fumble in overtime.

Just Disgusting play from Veteran players at very critical times in those contests. These were all completely unacceptable. Also, add in JuJu's potential game-winning drop in the Jets' game.

That is four games that we could have won, and been in contention not just for a playoff spot, but.... a first round bye as well. Its true folks. The videos do not lie.

• Like Like x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Diamond.

That is it in a nutshell. Great summary! Two, basically rookie QBs, who never started a game in their lives was Management's Contingency Plan? Wow! And some here criticize others here for stating the obvious because we are not privy to Steeler Think-Tank Central? I do not need to have access to that exclusive club to know a blunder when I so blatantly see one. Come on now folks! Yes, we as fans do not have insight to the day to day operations of the Steelers' Front Office. Nor should we. However, we do not always need to so that we can make logical observations and conclusions.

22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was over the Duck Tales before they even started....

• Like Like x 1
  23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    According to ESPN player profile/game log...

2018=career stats... 6-12 passing for 43 yds. 0 TD's 1 int. 51.0 QBR... Now that may not be accurate but it's pretty much how I remember it. You think his trade cost the season? I mean sure it's a small sample size and all but he showed zilch during the team's (as you put it) investment years outside of a very nice throw for a 1st down. He was beat out in camp and pre season... He was a clip board holder in Jax.

He wasn't gonna get the squad 30 a game, he wasn't gonna get em a few more wins... He was going to suffer the same terrible OC, the same depleted tool bag, and be booed off of the field like the other 2. Dobbs is an athlete not a QB and that was apparent in his college days. You crazy... Those above stats are duck stats hahahahaha tell me how it was gonna be mo better?

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The same time as Landry Jones became a quality back up, when while he was here he was routinely savaged...

25. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    As much as our running game sucked for the most part, I agree that not having or even trying to get a fullback when Nix was out so many games is just mind blogging. Especially knowing that our QB don't pass well. Just bad managing of personal. We needed all the help we could get in the running game to take some of the pressure from the QB's.

• Winner Winner x 1