1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Reason Marcus Gilbert Was Benched

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Dec 28, 2011.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Marcus Gilbert was benched against the Rams because he was late to a team meeting after falling asleep in the player lounge.
    Read more ~Gilbert Benching

2. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This can't be true. We know the inmates are running the asylum and Tomlin doesn't discipline any of the players (sarcasm of course) :lolol:

3. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Unbelievable! This is what I just don't get. You have a work meeting to attend which is most likely going over the upcoming game and it's probably the plan on how to best achieve a win. You sleep instead?! This whole mentality is just disurbing to me. They are paid enormous amounts of money and he isn't even motivated enough to make a meeting. What's he going to do on the field if he doesn't care to make a mandatory meeting?

Lets all try this together.

Go into your next meeting and tell them you just fell asleep in the lounge. Whom ever employs you most likely will find this to be unacceptable and you will find yourself with a big fat pink slip which is what I hope happens to this clown at the end of the season. Hopefully other teams will tell him to pound salt also and he can go to bagging groceries for a living.

WAKE UP!

YA BIG DUMMY!

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes and not only that, you don't even need a coach if you have enough talent on the team, we're still winning with Cowhers guys 4 years later :roll:

5. Agnybo

Agnybo Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It's called 'the rookie wall', and many first year players experience it. Ben said he was falling asleep in meetings during our playoff run his rookie year.....it happens. Give the kid a break.....

6. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Its one thing to have a hard time staying awake in some meeting I'll admit that but at least make the damn thing. Geeesssshhhhhh.

Maybe they should get rid of the recliners and TV's and replace them with crappy uncomfortable chairs.

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Don't Blame Tomlin at all for the benching, Loved his comment by saying he was less than a professinal this week. Props to Tomlin, and Gilbert you might want to invest your signing bonus in some 5 hour energy.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, i've seen him fall asleep as the big DE runs by him during games too. hey, it happens. :cool:

9. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    i wanna know why there wasn't more than one person benched.We all know damn well someone saw his ass sleeping and let him be ,while they went to the meeting.
    HELLO PEOPLE this is a team sport that takes teammates looking out for one another.Bench his butt as well.
    who was it ? who was it? Trai was it you? Kemo,was it you??
    of course this is a non factor if Gilbert is one of those people who wake up swinging punches or the such.i'd let him sleep too.

10. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    As most of this thread/message board is being read/replied to by people who are probably at work and are being paid to be doing something else! Yes, I am guilty of this very thing but in my defense~ I was so productive this morning that I made up for my slacking off right now. Seriously, I am not a pro athlete and have no idea what rigors a rookie goes through but I'm guessing they are different than most people's jobs. However, he screwed up and it was responded to, what else is there?

11. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Makes sense. I have a co-worker who's TE coach was Ken Wisenhunt at Vanderbilt and he would make the players stay and run the stairs after practice if they were even one minute late for anything.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    well jim, this is your boss. i'm afraid i'm going to have to bench you come sunday. don't bother coming in. :stogie: :cool:

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    What do you think of that Jim. No job and no where to go. Take that you gold bricker :herewego:

Bman

14. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why isn't his Gator alumni (Starks and Pouncey) teaching him how to be a professional?

Pretty disappointing because he has the skills.

15. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    that's what i said in alot more words

16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think sometimes we forget just how young these guys are. We say they're professionals, and they are and should act like it, but many of them are in their early 20's. When I was in my early 20's, my best skills were how much I could drink and how long I could last in bed. I couldn't have imagined having that much responsibility at that young of an age.

With that said, they do have that responsibility and they have to embrace it, but, being that young, they will make the odd mistake. Bench him, absolutely, but cutting him is just ridiculous. He made a simple mistake, it happens.

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Finally somebody standing up to these Prima donas. The Emperor might
    have run this type of character completely out of town.

19. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Really? He fell asleep in the player's lounge, and missed a meeting. Wow. Have none of you ever missed a meeting? I don't condone the behavior, but these run-him-outta-town posts are way over the top. Relax. The sun's still rising. The earth's still spinning, and the Steelers still play Sunday at four fifteen...