1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The reason Brees is so good

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Dec 30, 2011.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    We keep wondering what it would be like if our Steelers had a good line, well take a look at the Saints, 4 all pro players on the offensive line gives you the NFL passing yards record holder, 2 no name RBs that have better yards per carry averages than Mendenhall. I think the Steeler offense would be hard to stop even with BA calling the plays.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I wouldn't call Darren Sproles and Pierre Thomas no-name RBs...

3. Emerald Steel

Emerald Steel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Our line hasn't been so bad lately. We've got some good guys, we just need to stay healthy and maybe add one or two new pieces.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    his big receivers push off better then any i have ever seen. he doesn't hold the ball. he has a better o-line. he's more accurate. the pass makes the run better. etc. etc............... stupid chargers. :cool:

5. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    defenses are scardee cats to touch the bayou baby
    lil ol brees "E" got pushed in the backk last year by james harrison FLAG n FINE!!!!!

big ben has nose broke ..no flag
    sugg shrugg hit to head ... no flag

if ben had that kind of protection(GUCK FOODELL) ben would be kickin a$$
    especially because he can and will hold on to the ball longer

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    A good line helps a lot, but Brees has that ball out within 2-3 seconds when pressured, and he is also very good at avoiding the pressure by dancing around in the pocket or escaping outside the pocket. Yes, he has a great line, but that's not the only reason he is good, far from it.

Also, Pierre Thomas, Mark Ingram and Darren Sproles are not no name running backs.

7. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    This makes no sense. Flags don't add to the QB's stats, so no matter what protection a QB has from the league, it won't help his stats one bit. Also, the fact that Ben can and does hold the ball longer is a bad thing, not a good thing. A QB should be able to get the ball out within 3 seconds or prepare to check down or throw it away. Ben doesn't do any of those things.

Sorry, but Ben is not even in the same league as Brees.

8. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    :clapping:
    :clapping:

Exactly..oh and he does not have BA

9. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Brees is so good because he studies the game very very hard and goes over the details of the game plan with his head coach and Offensive Coordinator for hours before the kickoff. Something our QB and many others do not do nearly so much.

10. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Can't credit 100% of a QB's success to the oline.

11. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Well, you can't give 100% credit but at least 85% I wonder how much credit goes to our oline? :cry:

12. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    85%? A lot of very bad QB's have had great Olines, and a lot of good QB's have had very bad Olines.

13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Brees, IMO, is good because he takes what the D gives them. They try to run things down the field and he takes his shots, but you are talking about a group that has 120 completions to their running backs. To put that in perspective...we have about 50.

14. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    OKIE DOKIE
    WHATEVER YOU SAY PROFESSOR
    guess james harrison having a "reputation" for his hits and Ben getting big hits on him with no calls has nothing to do with anything

DAMN THANKS FOR CLEARING IT UP bahahahahaha

15. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

So the QB, WRs, TEs and coaches only get 15% of the credit?? Wow. Maybe teams just need all-pro olinemen then.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Since when? Ben does way more good things by extending the play then bad things. Yes, sometimes things result in a turnover but more often then not he makes the play. I'm tired of the check down bull **** too. You guys make it sound like we will always move the chains just as long as we check down. Sorry, doesn't work like that, sometimes everyone is covered or the check down guy will be tackled the moment he catches the ball for either a loss, no gain or very little gain. I'm so sick of everyone regurgitating that phrase. :sick:

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers must invest in OL somehow, whether it be thru the draft
    or FA. #7 can't take to many more beatings, his career will be shortened
    if he doesn't get help SOON. Then what will we do? We went 25 years without
    a franchise QB= NO SUPERBOWLS.

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Nobody is saying it has no effect whatsoever. The point is that Brees has laser accuracy and Ben doesn't have that. Brees tends to read defenses better than Ben (in the main). And Brees uses his RBs in the flat a whole lot more.

I think both teams have to an extent built their offenses around the QBs; but Ben is a very different QB to Brees. Who would I rather have? Ben in a flash.

19. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL Exactly. This and the short passing game in general is one of the things almost always brought up in the "Lynch BA" threads. In watching the 49er game their D smothered the short routes and I saw numerous plays where Mendy was camped out 5 yards away from Ben as an outlet and there was always a linebacker sitting right on top of him or just a few yards away. You always hear "Take what the defense is giving you" and in that game they certainly weren't giving up the short pass but the assumption by many here is short passing works all the time in every game regardless of who the opponent is.

20. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Man you nailed it! Along with his other qualities, Brees is a student of the game. Did you notice where he was last game as the clock counted down at half time? Going over pictures shot of the Atlanta defense on the Saints previous drive. Even as every other player and coach was trotting off the field and sidelines, he was still there studying the opposing defense and getting prepared for the second half. Ben has his own attributes, like being tough as nails, but he's not in the same class as Brees and a few others.

And oh, by the way, :FBAI!:

21. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You can have Bree's ill take big Ben any day of the week....he's by far the better qb

22. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Brees = Dome....

The guy seems to play every game in a dome. I think 11 0r 12 this year. I don't think the guy has played in cold weather this year. He's never handled a wet or cold football this season and it does make a difference. It's been a long time since I seen Brees in a dirty, grassed stained uniform.

Also, Brees plays in an offensive conference in which QB's tend to pad the stats by throwing the football when winning by 21. I have seen Brees chucking bombs away when they're up by 20 in the 4th qtr. more than enough.

BTW, his celebrations in the endzone with his WR's bother me.....

23. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyone kept saying that Manning was good because of his Oline. Fact is Manning made that Oline look really good -- the Colts are crap without Manning. Brees and Brady also make their Olines look good. The year before last and early last year the Packers could not protect Rodgers at all and he was constantly getting sacked and hit. He changed his game to help this out and then they developed a great offense around him. There line is not good at all actually.

Our line is not nearly as poor as many on here make it out to be. There are often times they give Ben tons of time. Ben is still learing how to read defenses, he is getting better but he is still below average in this part of the position. BA also has not help Ben progress and has not been a teacher. Ben has success very fast in the league and his head swelled to the point where he did not want to hear anything, he already knew it.

I like Ben as our QB b ut to be fair about it he could be so much better. He has all the physical tools and weapons around him. It now talks the cerebral part of the game and good coaching to go to the next level.

24. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    [quote="steel_d_curtain"Also, Brees plays in an offensive conference in which QB's tend to pad the stats by throwing the football when winning by 21. [/quote]

that, and NO has a LOT of short passes / even laterals to their RBs instead of normal hand-offs, they show up as passes and not runs in the stats but are running plays in reality

25. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Short passing works for Brady in 100% of games, as he rarely throws deep. Short passes work a lot for Brees and Rodgers too, even though they do throw deep as well. The fact is, there's always going to be coverage, and it's on the QB to get the ball between coverage. Brees, Brady and Rodgers do this consistently. Ben does this great sometimes, then other times it seems like he has no accuracy.

Also, the 49'ers were giving up the deep ball because they knew Ben couldn't throw deep well due to his ankle. Not really a good game to use to make your point as not many teams will just let us throw deep the way 49'ers did, considering we do it so often.