1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Real JuJu

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 1, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Chiefs yes but I feel the Ravens are a tough regular season team but will continue to be a 1 and done playoff team. Reason being is you face the better teams in the playoffs and will have the players to take LJ out of the game. Same game plan the last two playoffs have ended their season.

Until LJ becomes a better pure passer, I think that will continue.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t disagree. We have not seen LJ win a meaningful game from the pocket when his team is on the back foot.

I’m not sure they will continue to be one and done in the playoffs, but to win a SuperBowl you need to be able to win a shootout when it matters. I’m not sure he can do that but I am open to the possibility that he can improve as a pocket passer. By the time he does he might be earning megabucks and that has a knock on effect on what is around him however.

I would not put a cent on them for the SuperBowl in 2020 for that reason.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If Ben's elbow doesn't quit on him I find it hard to believe that JuJu doesn't put up all-star #s. Granted he is still learning the double/triple coverage he will see but JuJu can ball.

As far as Lamar? Anyone remember RG3? ;)

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Be safe.

5. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Lamar is better than RG3 and has a better situation around him. Whether we like it or not the Raven are a real force.

The only doubt I’d have is Lamars ability to win from the pocket. In most games they race in to a lead and burn the opponent off with their running game and RPO’s. To beat them you need to take that away and make them pass. Easier said than done, but the better teams will continue to test them in the playoffs.

If it doesn’t work yet again in 2020 the Ravens will have an interesting choice to make in relation to LJ and whether to go all in and pay him superstar money or not.

6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The Ravens are a thorn in our side that much I can give you. I'll get back on the Lamar/RG3 comparison...need to provide some data that helps my argument.
    Ravens have a cupcake schedule last year being in the woeful AFCN last year? Over-rated imo. Teams will adjust to Baltimore's strengths & weaknesses. Lamar needs to be 2015 Cam for it to work. Cam is built like a linebacker, Lamar not so much.

7. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    IDK, Cam used to crash in to tackles like a running back, inviting and almost relishing contact. Lamar is much more nimble and knows when to slide or run out. He rarely takes those big hits, of course it only takes one big one from a much bigger man to blow him up.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    JuJu getting back to what he was in 2018 or close to it will benefit the team greatly. That said, given the lack of practice time for the players, I am unsure if he honestly can. Not so much because of him but due to the lack of reps of their pick of Chase Claypool.

It is bad enough he missed OTAs and Minicaml due to COVID 19. Training Camp as well?!?! A career killer for Deep Threat Wide Receivers are Hamstring Injuries. There is only so much training one can achieve while being in shorts.

9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d agree and I think at this point anything you get from your rookies is a bonus. Thankfully the Steelers are a relatively settled team and are not dependent on their rookies tearing up the league.

If we count Chase Claypool out can Deon Cain provide that deep threat? He flashed some really nice ability in 2019

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Depends on what the Depth Chart will look like come the start of the season...... whenever that will be.

11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes he’d need to make the team obviously but he runs a 4.4 and is a big unit. I think he only had 4-5 catches last year but some of them were quite impressive. I liked what I saw in the limited snaps he had.

I know some colts fans had stated that his route running was not NFL standard but as a straight line runner he is an option if Claypool needs more time to settle in.

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    It doesn't have to be a hit. A lineman could roll up on his knee, a bad spot on the field could injure him, he could plant the wrong way or wrong time when making a cut. The more he runs, the more he chances injury. I've yet to see a pocket QB in him. How will he handle moving in the pocket? Is he another Steve Young? Can he lead a receiver? What about his timing? Lots of questions to be answered.

Edit; Do the Ravens remind one of Kaepernicks run to the SB? Great defense & the rpo. At least they made the SB. :shrug:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017

I will retract the comparison to RG3 @SteelersFanIrl . He got hurt EARLY in his fabulous career start (late rookie season). It was working for Washington up until then. That 2012 'Skins defense wasn't too shabby either. 3 probowlers (all lbs)

2013 RG3 wasn't bad but the defense was atrocious. Terrible season for Washington.

RG3 injury riddled after that. Probably would have been great if not for his misfortune. Not sure it would happen in Washington without J. Gibbs or a shortened season.

14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Well they played it smartly. He signed a longer contract so they're allowed to work cap magic year in and year out to try to fill gaps. And it doesn't take effect till lirk 2022 or something. They will find a way to fit John's in espicallt since the cap will contue to group but even without jones mahomes and that offense will have always as contenders and he will only get better. They nearly won it all last yr(2019) with one of the worst defenses in history. I think

15. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Thanks appreciate it.

16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I guess you missed him throw 5 TDs in 3 separate games last season, which BTW has only been done by Brady and Lamar. You must have also missed him throwing 36 TD passes last season to 9 different receivers. That's twice as many as the squad of reject QBs for the steelers threw last season combined. That's also more than the guys we think of as good pocket passers like Brady, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Wentz, Goff. Even Ben has only come close to that number once in his 16 year career with 34 TDs in 2018. Not sure what kind of numbers Lamar needs to put up to answer those questions for you.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yeah I did miss that. Don't usually follow what the Ravens are doing. I did see the Browns almost knock him out of the playoffs though, he should thank Mayfield. Saw Tennessee take care of him too. A year earlier saw P. freakin Rivers beat him. I will follow him closer when I see results. :shrug:

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Ben is going to like this guy.