1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Real JuJu

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 1, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

True. I am not sure if Big Al wants to stomach another sub par NFL Season. Not sure if the team wants to extend a declining Left Tackle anyway. Either Chuks or Zach will have to take Big Al's spot in 2021. The question becomes as to who gets the spot? Regarding Watt and Heyward, those two in addition to JuJu come down to Dupree. However well Dupree plays will likely determine how the team moves forward in 2021.

Now, if the season is likely lost in 2020 by mid season, then bringing up the the consideration of a trade between JuJu and whomever else will be determined by how well JuJu has done up to that point. Mind you, his age alone will be a prime bargaining chip. Adding in his accomplishments will be icing on the cake.

Again though and, as always, it is dependent on the trade partner. Just like how it was with the Denver Broncos to acquire Devin Bush Jr., the trading partner is key.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Smith-Schuster isn't going to be Antonio Brown. He simply isn't as good as Brown was at his best.

Hines Ward was always a better comparison for Smith-Schuster. Ward didn't really emerge as a great player until he had a threat defenses took seriously on the other side. It was no coincidence that Burress and Ward both went over 1,000 yards for the first time in the same season, 2001. Burress was a big-play threat and that opened things up for Ward in the same way that many here hope Claypool will open things up for other Pittsburgh receivers in 2020. Every time Ward went over 1,000 yards in his career, he either had Burress or Santonio Holmes out there with him.

This isn't to say Ward wasn't great on his own. I do believe that type of receiver is a lot more effective with a big-play threat on the other side.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Big decisions to be made across the board next off season. It’s very hard to say at this point who goes and who stays.

The cap will partly determine that, it was expected to increase substantially but that is hanging in the balance now with the possibility of playing in empty stadiums, advertisers and sponsors possibly pulling back etc. If the cap doesn’t go up substantially they are going to have to say goodbye to players they would prefer to keep.

I think the drafting of Highsmith signals the end for Bud either way. TJ is getting a monster deal no matter what happens so you need a cost controlled guy on the other side.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Agreed. That's what I'm getting at, if juju is a good number two that is ok once we find a good number one. They actually compliment each other. No team can just double a number one if the number two is lighting them up in the meantime. There are different levels of numbers two's just like there are different levels of numbers one's and so on down the line. We have pretty good 2-3-4 options and that may make up the strength of the offense. :cool:

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, JuJu is only 23 going into this 4th season already. People who think he has one foot out the door may be a little surprised next season. Can lock up a very good receiver for a long long time. Also, if it’s all about maximizing Bens final years, you don’t weaken his offense.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I had Highsmith in my preference by round mock thread that no one paid attention to, and even mentioned him at 102 but either way......I said from the beginning he is weak and needs to get in an NFL weight room but he will be looked at as that OLB depth to compete with Ola and Skipper. They know they can't pay Bud and Watt in 2021 so they are looking at options. Highsmith is the perfect redshirt candidate to get stronger and learn to play with the big boys while taking advantage of that first step/motor.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What if they sign Dupree to a long term deal this offseason, then sign Watt in 2021, Colbert said recently their goal is to still sign Dupree long term.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Correct. That is the goal. However, just because it is the goal does not make it a certainty. Too many unknowns that still need to be ironed out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    then they would be signing a lackluster talent in Dupree unless he shows a second year of improvement this upcoming season... Highsmith was drafted as a Chickillo replacement first, then a possibility as a Dupree replacement in 2021.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

.........And there you go no love for JW..............HATER!!!!!!!!! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Absolutely

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He and Ben have to click but the onus is on Ben. Washington showed he can play last year.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The onus is on Washington to be more productive than Claypool or Ebron. Ben will give him a chance.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If Washington can produce 750 yards with Mason/Hodges, Ben better damn well be able to get him the ball.

There have been obvious chemistry problems with these two, Washington showed he can produce, Ben needs to get on the same page with him.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    While Ben use to be a little more of a gun slinger he has to trust Washington to go up and get it. That is what he is use to. JW isn't the tallest guy but he is a great contest catch receiver.

In more recent years Ben looks for that separation and the open guy. Which is why he fed the ball to AB.

My thinking is that Washington will not produce that much more thisnyear. And at the end of the year may be #4 in production.

I think Johnson is going to have a monster year though. Think of the leap AB took in year 2 from year 1. I'd expect Johnson to take a similar path. He is Ben's type of receiver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    :dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing: I have been waiting for you to say that for some time now. :thumbs_up: You just made my day man :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Keep playing that sweet music...........:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I agree with a lot you are saying however I think with all the weapons Ben is going to have it may be hard for anyone to really have a monster year right? Man when you look at it we now have Juju, JW, DJ, Claypool, Vance, Ebron and Conner all as a top option through out the game. Yes I know Claypool hasn't played a down yet but I am hopeful about him and Ben has to be licking his chops. There should be no excuse to throw into double triple coverage cause with this group someone has to be open lol.

19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I was disappointed in Ju JU last year but the points you make are valid and I am simply willing to throw out last year completely.

One point you didn't make
    • Practice squad OC

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm not too concerned about this relationship for a couple reasons:
    • I know through an inside source that the Steelers "promised" Ben they would build the D after the 2017 season and then used a 2nd round pick on Washington and a 3rd round pick on MR, Ben was rightfully pissed about that.....and then went out and lead the league in passing.
    • Ben just wants to win, and while he may in fact be a horses ass, he wants to win. And now that he sees Washington has some talent, he won't hesitate to throw to him.

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Do you all think that Washington will see the field as much as he did last year? A healthy JuJu hopefully, Ebron, McDonald, Claypool to contend with for targets this year.

Starters probably JuJu, DJ & McDonald, & possibly Watt to help out AV.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Good question indeed. I think Chase Claypool is more about pushing James Washington than others believe. Keep in mind that Kevin Colbert stated after the draft that Chase gives the team the deep threat option it did not have before. Flashback to 2018 and Colbert stated that James Washington can be a deep threat as a receiver.

Interesting all around overall. In terms of playing time, it will likely be a battle between Claypool and Washington. Yes, Washington had a solid Sophomore Campaign but he still was not the deep threat many of us were hoping for. Claypool brings that to the table.

That being said, I doubt James Washington loses his position outright at the beginning of the season. Now, should there be an injury to the Receiving Corps, expect Chase to be slotted in right away. I seriously hope though Diontae is not the one getting injured.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    JuJu, DJ and JW will be getting the bulk of the lions share, I see no reason for that to change much. Holton and Cain accounted for about 350 snaps between the two, give those to Claypool.

Not sure how many two TE sets they will run, that will cut into someone’s snap count when they do. I imagine JW will be off the field while in the red zone, they’ll likely have Ebron, Vance and Claypool in there for sure, plus JuJu and DJ. Why DJ over JW? DJ had the best separation of anyone on the team.

Side note: In regards to your sig, I think Claypool is closer to 850 yards, TD’s sounds about right. No TD’s for McFarland? I think he’ll have 3 and probably closer to 350 yards :drinks:

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This is a great question and now with the additions of Ebron and Claypool it don't look good for JW. It is no secret there is some friction between Ben and JW since his first season now with new weapons it will make it easier for Ben to shy away form him. All that is fine cause all I care about is winning I am not into the whole who likes who but when a player has something to offer and you don't use it and it costs you games my mouth won't shut up............

I can see 2 TE sets a lot and rightfully so lots of money there tied up in our 2 TE's. I can also see Claypool seeing more time inside the redzone whick I am fine with but also seeing more and more time as the year goes by. I feel Juju and DJ will be on the field most of the time so as long as they produce JW could be the odd man out and that stinks.....jmo.

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't get this "Ben has a beef with Washington for being Mason's teammate innuendo". Yeah Ben called him out on making plays when you have a chance but Ben calls out a lot of teammates & front office decisions. That said my earlier comment on the onus being on Washington to produce when on the field is because we have decent next man ups that can produce.