1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Psychological Side of Injuries

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Oct 18, 2021.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    This.

The example that I often use is Dara Torres in the 2008 Olympics. At age 41, she was a hundredth of a second from winning gold, against swimmers half her age. What we learned from her training is that she still had the ability, but took longer to recover from exercise. She couldn't give max effort as often as when she was younger. She limited how many races she did, and was fanatic on the rest and recovery between workouts.

Ben is definitely in a tough situation. He needs more practices to get used to his receivers and his altered throwing arm, but also needs less practices so he doesn't wear out. Hopefully the staff will figure out the sweet spot for the best result (even if it is less than fans would like).

(I do think that Ben will need to cut down on pass attempts, to have anything left if they make the playoffs. They have to rely on the running game more, or somehow blow out teams early so Rudolph can play the 4th quarter.)

Duke mentioned "that jackass down in Tampa". :thumbs_up:
    Things might actually catch up with him later in the season.
    His regular season pass attempts for the 2017-2020 seasons are: 581, 570, 613, 610
    He is on pace (if it was still a 16-game season) to have 712 pass attempts.
    (When Ben overdid it in 2018, he had 675 attempts.)

(But I also figured L Jackson would wear out from the combined rushing+passing attempts, and he is still holding up.)