1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Pittsburgh Steelers Way (lately)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelerway8511, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Steelerway8511

Steelerway8511 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Come on guys, we all know the Pittsburgh Steelers way as of late! It's to be in the headlines for all the wrong reasons and full of headlines. I have a really strong hunch that this whole AB trade is not over yet. There is going to be another spin to this whole thing before it's over, right?

There is no way they can take a 3rd and a 5th and let AB walk is there? If this turns out to go through, this is one of the worst handlings of a situation with a disgruntled player in recent memory. Horrible. Pathetic. You're going to let this Jamoke do all the wrong things and STILL get what he wants?!

I hope the players association Is real happy! We have all watched this dip**** act like a complete moron and force his way out of Pittsburgh all for a new contract! I guarantee all owners have taken note of this situation. Say Hello to The AB Clause in future contracts. Conduct detrimental to team in order to force a trade results in paying back % of bonus.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    What would you have preferred they do? The Steelers were in a no win situation because AB lost his marbles. I don't see anything that they could have done differently that would have left the team in a better position. Keeping AB was asking for a situation worse than anything with the Bell situation last year. At least now they can move on. It isn't an ideal outcome but it's as good as they could manage given the situation AB created. I really struggle to see what the Steelers did wrong in this whole situation.

3. Steelerway8511

Oct 7, 2018
    Struggle to see what the Steelers did wrong? 3rd and a 5th? I understand keeping him and benching him was not really a realistic beneficial situation. I guess for me it is what's the hurry? I understand they owed him 2.5 on the 17th but come on. Looking at the situation I maybe would have ate that money and held out for a better deal.

I'm just really frustrated with the whole situation. AB is the slimy residue that builds up on the underside of the barrel, I get that, but the Steelers got Fleeced in this situation I'm just keeping my fingers crossed there is onr last hill on this rollercoaster we've all ridden the last 2 years

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    If they were worried about the 2.5 million bonus then the Rooney's truly are cheap.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Come on man. 2.5 million isn’t peanuts especially with the fact that they restructured AB last year and fronted him a bunch of dough. And you want to give him 2.5 million on the way out the door?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I totally understand where you and the others who feel that the Steelers should have played tough and called his bluff and made him honor his contract are coming from. And a big part of me agrees. I would have loved nothing more than for them to have played hardball and possibly forced him to repay some of his signing bonus money.

But realize that would have lead to a long and lingering distraction. And given ABs social media proclivity, it would have gotten ugly. This easily could have lasted into OTAs and probably much further, possibly into training camp and preseason. Realize that this is exactly what they did with Bell (calling his bluff) and have gotten crushed for it by the fan base and in the media for wasting cap space and not cutting ties with him a year ago.

The Steelers were really in a no-win situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Steelerway8511

Oct 7, 2018
    From what I understood that 2.5 million was split up between the 17 weeks next season? Could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.. So the team he was going to, it would be there's to pickup.

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    It is peanuts in the world of professional sports. I wanted AB gone as much as the next guy but I'm not going to feel sorry for ownership having to eat that money. They can afford it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelerway8511

Oct 7, 2018

It's going to be a lingering distraction either way. I'm sure all through the draft and training camp there will be quite a bit of LB AB and Steelers talk . Especially now that they got fleeced and AB got what he wanted

10. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    "What were the Steelere suppose to do?"

-Steelers fans after every ass burglary done by players and other team.

How bout not trade him for peanuts for one. They have dead money they cant do anything with. Got a lousy 3rd rounder and a useless 5th for the best receiver in football.

Oh, and Le'veon Bell will be leaving soon for a whopping. NOTHING!.

Sounds like the late 90s Steelers when they kept letting go all the talent and not getting **** for it which in turn created 3 years of non playoff runs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Won’t we get a comp pick for Bell?

12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If you think the situation was going to improve by waiting then you've been paying no attention to the way it's been going recently. AB was sinking his value every time he opened that hole under the hideous yellow moustache.

13. Steelerway8511

Oct 7, 2018

Never said it would improve, but how could it get any worse? The last thing this organization needed was to botch the AB situation, and what do they do? Absolutely botch it haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    There is NO improvement WITH them doing something. So, exactly how does this logic worth? His value isnt in his mouth. It's his play. He caught 15 touchdowns in 15 games. That is his worth, not his mouth. A team would have given something of worth eventually. But like most ****ty negotiators, they let the product due them in and the buyer reem them out the store.

15. Steelerway8511

Oct 7, 2018
    The Steelers did not handle the LB situation very well and even they have admitted this. The AB situation has been just as painful just faster acting. I'm the farthest thing from a GM but it seems like this situation was severely mishandled

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Unless the Steelers strike gold in the draft this May, they are likely not going to make the playoffs this year. James Conner can't stay healthy. JuJu now is going to get the double teams. Unless Big Ben turns into Brady, Ben will be taking more risks than ever before and he will look like Eli Manning if he plays that way.

Steelers defense is a disaster and no rookie is gonna change that. Steelers are in major trouble and the Big Ben Era will start to officially end starting next year. My only hope is Tomlin goes with him when he does.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What else could they do?
    Keeping him on the team wasn’t a real option. It sounds good on paper to stick it to Brown, but it would’ve been a nightmare. He most certainly wouldn’t have been allowed to play or he would’ve acted out and refused to play. Either way he was still going to be a hit on the cap.
    Look at how much negative stuff he was posting on social media and he was getting what he wanted. Just think if they played hardball with him how bad this situation would have gotten. It would have been a huge distraction.
    People saying the Steelers got schooled are pretty far off base.
    They actually did good considering the extreme circumstances.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Can we ban social media? As great a revelation as the internet is we as a society did not need social media.

19. Steelerway8511

Oct 7, 2018

I was never a fan of the keeping him into next season. I agree, that would have been an even bigger disaster. What I meant and again, not a GM, but why the rush to dump him before the 2.5 million dollar bonus was due? Especially if the bonus was paid was paid and split up over the 17 weeks next season? I mean to e had 14.5 tied up on LB last year and 21 next year with AB. What's 2.5 if you can get better compensation?

20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    That's why I'm not real big on a BB extension. I know he's probably our best shot at winning in general but we're wasting our time if we're thinking he's winning another championship with this team. Might as well get moving on over with and not delay the inevitable.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    First off it’s 2.5 million dollars. Secondly he was not going to let up with the social media nonsense so I doubt his trade value was going up.

22. Steelerway8511

Oct 7, 2018
    Again, not minimizing the dollar amount
    Colbert said they wanted compensated nicely for AB. That didn't happen. Oakland came in like a thief in the night

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not really. Considering how Brown was acting on Social Media and the fact he wanted more money it drove his value way down.

24. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    You let an imbecile dictate how you run your billion dollar industry because of some social media page, you are better off selling that business and going to snow flake country and crying about it there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steelerway8511

Oct 7, 2018

Sure did get paid like a #1 receiver in the NFL. Would have been nice to been compensated accordingly. Agree to disagree, I don't care. All I'm saying is the Steelers got worked over pretty bad here. Two superstar talents were mishandled , right or wrong and are no longer on the team.. AB is a punk there is no denying is so hopefully they are better off as a whole next season . If that's the case the only regret will be not doing it sooner
    o