1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Pittsburgh Pirates All-Time PNC Park team

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Dec 27, 2021.

1. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Really great job my friend!!!!! As you can tell by my tattoo avatar the BUCS are my favorite sports team. They were everything to me growing up in the Burgh in the late 50's and 60's. My brother-in-law who still follows them faithfully is going to love this.

I'm not computer smart but I'm going to get my wife to copy it and post on onlybucs.net. They will love it there.

By the way, I agree. Not near as good as an all time Three Rivers team would be:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Thank you. I did one for Three Rivers Stadium and Forbes Field too. Have to fill time somehow lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Nice work. I was a Pirates fan for about a year, but it was a good year 1971, but being from the St. Louis area, Lou Brock and Bob Gibson grabbed my attention more. Ironically, Gibson no-hit the '71 future WS Champion Pirates 11-0.

Here's the Cardinals 2000-21 lineup:
    C- Yadier Molina
    1B- Albert Pujols
    2B- Kolten Wong
    3B- Scott Rolen
    SS - Edgar Renteria
    LF - Matt Holliday
    CF- Jim Edmonds
    RF- Carlos Beltran
    UT- Matt Carpenter
    SP- Adam Wainwright, Chris Carpenter, Jack Flaherty, Matt Morris Lance Lynn
    CL - Jason Isringhausen

I feel sorry for Pirates fans because of your owner. Pittsburgh had a great baseball tradition. I hope Cherington can turn the organization around.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I always respected the Cardinal organization. Loved Bob Gibson. I listened to every Pirate game in 71 and went to about 30 home games. Only reason I worked after school. I am not making excuses but that day Clemente and Sanguillen had scheduled day off. Gibson must have thrown way over 100 pitches that day. No way in today's MLB would they let a starter throw that many pitches. About the 6th inning I started rooting for the no-no even if it hurt my boys.

That line-up you posted would have given the 27 Yankees a hard time.

After we beat the Orioles I went downtown for the celebration and got a rude awaking how idiotic people could be. Lot of damage.

BTW I think 8-8-1 is going to win the Steeler prediction Poll.

6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I don't know about Sanguillen and Clemente hitting Gibson. Clemente had a .208 average and a .563 ops against Gibson. Sanguillen hit .286, but only one double and an OPS of .620. Richie Hebner was the guy that killed Gibson with a .387 BA and a 1.127 OPS and he didn't play that night. I am guessing Luke Walker's nickname wasn't "Sky" until after Star Wars came out. Here's link of what Gibson thought of Clemente: https://retrosimba.com/2017/07/14/bob-gibson-vs-roberto-clemente-ultimate-hardball/

• Like Like x 2