1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Pittsburgh Colts?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I didn't realize until someone on the Radio mentioned it the other day... Arians time in Indy had influenced him with our offense.

Basically Arians and Ben are trying to be the Pittsburgh Colts on offense...looking at it from those glasses we probably run the ball way more than the Colts in Arians eyes (so we run enough), but Ben doesn't have the quick trigger as Manning, and he doesn't have the communication skills with his receivers the way Manning does.

Indy doesn't run it in the red zone, but Manning is efficient. Steelers don't run in the red zone enough, but Ben is NOT efficient.

When you think about it though, why try to be like Manning and the Colts? Colts under achieved, they should have more SB's. They should emulate the Saint, Giants, and Pats offense more. Those three teams have a way more balanced offense. They may not run a lot, but they are not afraid to take what the defense gives them and hit the RB or TE on a short pass to move the chains.

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The difference in those 2 situations...the QB.

Manning...he calls his own plays for one, but even if he didn't he operates differently. He looks at the d shown, makes a decision about where he is going to throw the ball...probably, but also knows that if that guy is covered what he 2nd and 3rd reads are.

Ben...wants to go long all the time. Decides where he wants to go. If that is covered, all bets are off.

The thing which is really confusing to me is how this offense regressed from the NE game on. That game, we knew what we wanted to do, where we wanted to go, how we wanted to confuse them. After that it was like we were completely lost.

3. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Colts, at least with Manning, run mostly no huddle and are very successful at it. Unfortunately, we rarely run it. Manning is a geek-like student of the game, lives in the team's film room and has become a genius at reading defenses. Unfortunately, no one will mistake Ben for a genius.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Who decided we shouldn't run no huddle at all this year???!!!!! If it wasn't for no No Huddle in 2008 we would not have a SB. We should have run no huddle way more this year.

5. jess2569

jess2569 New Member

Oct 27, 2011
    big ben will never be a manning

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think Ben is very intelligent on the football field

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It's a silly notion, Ben would not have any where near the success he does if he couldn't read defenses. QB's who can't read a defense have a hard time even achieving a .500 record let alone win 2 SB's. That said, no one reads defenses better then Manning.

8. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Interesting theory. This would explain why the offense stalls so much... Trying to be something they are not? :shrug:

9. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Anywhere from the Steelers end zone goal line to just past the 50 yd line, it's all good. Once they get near the opposing 40 it's like the field is laced with kryptonite.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Not theory ,fact! Peyton makes his read much faster and gets rid of the ball much faster. Ben does not. Square peg ,round hole. If it dont fit BA -mus-ta- quit. (D.R.B.A.I.)

11. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I agree here. I think if there was anything that I yelled the most at the T.V. this year was that the offense should be running the no-huddle. Maybe it had something to do with the defense. A no-huddle offense is going to speed up the game, and the defense was not built to be on the field for as much time as in the past. Don't know, but I would like to see more no-huddle next year.

12. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    You never see Ben and Bruce on the sidelines looking over pictures of the opposing defense from the game they are playing. Shouldn't they be trying to find weaknesses in the defense and exploit those weaknesses? Nope not our guys. I can't recall Ben ever talking to Bruce while waiting to get back on the field. He's usually just standing there watching the game. I assume that they have the plays they want to run and they will use those no matter what the defense is giving them.

13. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw been looking at D pictures, not sure if it was the denver game. But it was either the Browns or 49ers game.