1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The ownership needs to decide...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lewisha, Nov 13, 2016.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    College defensive schemes were changing at the same time. Also the NFLs. Pass catching first TEs, ok we'll counter with more nickel and hybrids. I don't buy into the view that the talent pool/availability dried up. It may have taken the NFL defenses a year to catch up but I think it was a pretty quick adaptation. I just think the college OL were better prepared for the pass rush onslaught. This made the playing field more level. Not as many standout 3-4 OLB types because the offense finally caught up.

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I beg to differ. I see upside. Good motor. Should be the starter opposite Dupree next season.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good post Jares, I have been saying this for years' always on deaf ears. The Steelers/ Mike Tomlin get a free pass in this town
    media wise. The media members are afraid of the Steelers. Mike Tomlin has MANAGED TO DO LESS WITH MORE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012

part car part guy ;)

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is exactly right. A decade ago, we were one of very few teams chasing undersized DEs to play OLB and tackle/end tweeners to play DE in our system. Now a lot of teams play a 3 man or hybrid front, and those guys are premium picks.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...record-without-ben-roethlisberger-and-what-it

We've seen him without Ben - when Jones, Vick, Dixon et al. were playing.

The results are essentially "not that bad", so long as the run game was strong.

Obviously these were then Ben was still on the roster. So without Ben we have a lot more cap room to improve other areas. The problem is going to be if we have an offense set up for an aerial attack, and the run game suffers at the same time as we lose the franchise QB.

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

13 and 11 is better then I thought but "not that good" for Steeler teams. I can remember Steeler QB backups Hanraty, Gilliam, and others that you actually felt good about winning a few games in a row. I just don't see it with LJ and Tomlin is not a great X&O coach that would help a below average QB. As stated many times here, Tomlin will go as far as Ben takes him.

8. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The ownership needs to decide...

...what to do about a franchise QB who turns into an INT machine in road games against inferior opponents. This has happened in the last 10-11 road games.

*sips tea*

9. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What the ownership knows, and we don't know, is the profitability that Mediocre Mike gives them. What's the return on investment that they get by having him as the coach? I've often wondered how teams like Kansas City and San Diego can go on being blah year after year and their owners put up with that. Maybe there is more money made by staying middle of the road than by producing a winning franchise.

10. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    well that is what jerry jones did for the past two decades
    he still rolled in the money and the product was meh

i truly believe the STEELERS are no where near his mentality

11. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    With a meh QB rather than a franchise QB, teams won't need to respect the aerial attack as much. So the running game inevitably will suffer.

12. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Time for Tomlin to go, he can't beat piss poor teams year in and year out, and because of that we're always in the WC and on the road when it matters.