1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Re-sign Lawrence Timmons Thread Post Draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, May 3, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well the reality is you have either

5-2-4 (goaline) could be 5-3-3

4-3-4 (traditional 4-3) with weakside and strong side linebacker

3-4-4 (traditional 3-4)

3-3-5 (modified nickel)

4-2-5 (traditional nickel) We line up the OLBs at defensive end.

or

4-1-6 (traditional dime)

The last number is secondary, whether it be a corner or safety. So basically it looks like Edmunds and/or Allen will be getting action in the Dime defense, with potential to play ILB in those packages.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes there will be packages that we use these guys in where they will be as such or some form of a LB. What I mean is they are not here to take on the role of the traditional Mack and buck LBers duties. LB is a broad brush in hybrid defenses. These guys will not be crashing up into the line on a play to play basis as a typical old school LB role suggests. Many are trying to put them in that role.:cool:

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Again mcam you are missing what I am saying. I am giving my opinion on what I am hearing that the Steelers want to run more of this "hybrid" defense not what I want them to run. Yes it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out you don't run a dime vs a heavy run team. However when you keep reading the team wants to run more of this hybrid system that means less of the other formations and honestly adding a guy like LT don't make sense. Example here is a small part from behind the steel curtain:

Edmunds was a CB coming out of high school who converted to play the Rover position for the Tech defense, which is basically a hybrid between a linebacker and safety. They take the place of the nickel defender which is typically the slot CB and they usually line up on the side of the field with the most receivers, usually guarding the TE or the slot receiver.

This is actually a role I could see him playing with the Steelers early on in subpackages, often replacing whoever the buck LB is on the field on obvious passing downs.

Also you keep talking about the Jagoff game let's not forget we had guys like Spence, Moats and Mitchell playing big roles which we now have replaced. That game was such a disaster right from coaching down to the players. We have added some new players via the draft and FA and also added some new coaching so I feel that will help fix a lot........I hope. But this thread is about adding LT and I stand firm that he does not fit what I keep reading this team wants to do. jmo :smiley1:

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Think we're on the same page with how the Steelers plan on utilizing Edmunds and hopefully Allen in subpackage nickel and dime defenses. I don't believe Tomlin's words means that we are going away from the base 3-4 defense as our core defense. Just that we're adding an additional element of versatility.

I think we're both also in agreement that players like Timmons shouldn't be on the field in nickel and dime defenses.

I think we disagree on

1) If we have our personnel needs met at inside linebacker. In my opinion focusing on a physical ILB that can play the run in goalline and 3-4 packages.

and

2) the big one, that Lawrence Timmons can still play well especially against the run in this league. << big one..

How many linebackers has the Steelers dropped to play on an other team only to return to the Burgh and play at a high level? I can think of James Harrison and Larry Foote off the top of my head.

In my opinion, getting Lawrence Timmons at the veteran minimum would be an absolute STEAL for the Steelers. He's still available to this day.

There is no suggestion to put him in as a starter or play him in the nickel and dime defenses. The idea would be to put him as a situational player in running downs and to have as an additional backup at ILB if someone was to get injured.

With how he knows our defense and our players, along with us knowing his strengths and weaknesses, I think it would be absolutely foolish not to be looking at him.

Note the Dolphins played LT at outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense. They played him in passing down situations. He was entirely out of his element, and still didn't have a bad season. Just not amazing.

So bumping the official bring back LT post. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelers5895

steelers5895 Member

May 1, 2018
    we need to move on. Timmons was a good solid starter for us but never lived up to the billing of a mid first round pick. He is aging and slowed plus never could cover so I am not sure other than fans not being able to let go of past players what value he brings.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    When 31 other teams don’t want him even at vet minimum, that doesn’t make signing him a steal. There is a reason he is unemployed.

With regard to bringing him in to take a look, they looked at him for years before letting him go.

7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    While you make a good point as to why he is still not signed, I'm not see where you are getting at that he has declined so much over the past three years with us. I remember one red zone specifically where Timmons had two game changing tackles back to back keeping the running back out of the endzone. Not only did he tackle the guy, he leveled him.

This was either in his last year or the year before last year with us.

We will see. I really don't think he's washed up. I have a pretty good feeling he'd play well if back in the burgh.

I can't say the same for him playing elsewhere just because of our track record of players leaving only to vanish into thin air (ie Kendrell Bell, etc) as opposed to those that came back and played well (James Harrison & Larry Foote.)

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Wow the dude definitely lived up to his status as a mid round pick. The guy started and barely missed a game for a decade. The guy was also a cornerstone to the defense at inside linebacker playing on all downs in the beginning.

Not sure where you can justify he didn't meet draft expectations when there is a slew of people picked at 15 in the 1st that don't even come close to what Timmons did while in Pittsburgh.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Your first point is a good one. Your second one is technically correct, but they let him go because he took more money elsewhere, not because they didn't want to keep him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    There is downside to this too. Teams could easily run no huddle and keep him on the field. Vince is in the last year of his contract too so next season we could have two holes. We have a young guy with potential in Matthews. Do we keep 10 LBers? The numbers won't work if we keep 10 DBs and 10 LBers. Will he play STs? Lots to consider if we make a move like this. I still think we will be fine if we get guys running to the ball on defense. Bradley and Dunbar should help this. :cool:

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'd take LT over Red or Fort any day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not so sure about that, LT is just about done he's not a starter anymore a 2 down player.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Probably wait to see red play healthy first. I expect many may like what they see. I still think red and bostic before it's over.:cool:

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Just my opinion. I'm going to root for whoever they put on the field though.

17. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    If he's a "good" 2-down player, I'd take it at this point.

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    If every Steelers mid first round pick played at Timmons level, they'd be all set.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He was still a top 15 talent. You guys act like he was an udfa or something. Mid first round pick? That's a dang high pick for the Steelers. That ship has sailed for what we are trying to do on defense now. Make tackles and defend the pass. Teams are throwing the ball more than ever on those two downs now. It's pretty simple, get helmets to the ball in numbers and defend the pass. Call them a LB, call them a safety, call them Mary it doesn't matter, get to the ball in a hurry and limit what an offense can do. :cool:

20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TimmLa99.htm

I don't know if he had less snaps last year but his 58 tackles was down by 20-30 of what his norm used to be (78-90).

I prefer using younger guys with a potential upside, but I do believe LT would make this team better on 1st and 2nd down. I'm fine with him not being an every down LB. He would help our run D, which needs help, but my guess is they feel like they feel set with Bostic, Williams, Red, Thomas, Fort and Galambo (There, I said it.)

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers...ul-for-2nd-chance-after-injury-wrecked-season

It rolls me that he said, “Pittsburgh is a great little city,” Galambos said, “A little smaller than Philly — but there is so much to do. I definitely love it here.

“Everyone here is super nice, no matter where you go – which is definitely different than the other side (of Pennsylvania).”

Anyone who has spent time in Pgh and Philly knows how true this statement is. I just went through Philly in April, and no one smiles, everyone is constantly angry. I hate that dirt hole.

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    My guess is probably a shade less than his prime #s, but that doesn't make him chopped liver. My guess is if one of our starters goes down and he still isn't on a roster, they'd consider him. But, one other thing: I think a lot of us thought Bostic was a little older himself but he is only 27 - the peak age for athletic performance.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    This is bostic 5th year.:cool:

24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It's good to keep in mind that Timmons played outside linebacker in a defense he wasn't used to playing in.

I really don't think the Steelers are bringing Timmons back at this point, which in my opinion given you could get him at the vet minimum is a pretty foolish thing to overlook. To eliminate a repeat of James Harrison, they'd have to inform him of his role and expectations early however. At this point though I think it's pretty clear they are going to go with what they have.

And I guess we'll get a chance to see how the young guys add up. I'd like to think they would step up, but that's yet to be seen.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

It's not like Timmons can't make plays against the pass. Coaches can adjust to no huddle and if it's getting exploited adjust personnel.