1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Re-sign Lawrence Timmons Thread Post Draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, May 3, 2018.

1. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    32 years old shouldn't be too old for a linebacker but Timmons hasn't just lost one step, he's lost four or five.

I always hated Timmons gap rush. Sometimes he would rush a gap and go right by the RB because he was focused on getting to the QB and the RB would run through the gap for a big gain.

One of the undrafted free agent ILB's we signed will make the team and do a better job than Timmons could.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    You better go watch that game again yeah he had 9 tackles and 5 assists but he also had many missed tackles including I think it was the first pass to Edleman where he bounced right off of him, I remember at least 4 missed tackles. Also LT was not covering Edleman cause they played zone most of the game and it showed as Timmons was to slow to cover anyone. Heck I think the one play the ref ran by him......:facepalm:

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Than why bring him back especially if we are moving away from this defense. A square peg does not fit in a round hole and LT is a square peg in our system now. Man I loved LT but his ship has sailed, we showed Mitchell the door no need to bring in LT to be just as slow.

I have an idea since there is a big difference in money and both LT and MM are not signed let's set up a foot race and the winner gets an invite to camp........Not!!!!! We need speed not age!

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    He played in all 16 games racking up a total of 13 tackles not so sure he showed a whole lot of promise. It was a long time ago so maybe I am wrong.

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    They didn't released him he was a FA and the Steelers knew he was not in there plans cause why did they sign VW the year before?

The Steelers saw this day coming when they signed Williams to a three-year, $5.5 million contract last August as Timmons entered the final year of his deal with no extension forthcoming

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well if it's not Timmons we've got to get somebody to play ILb.
    I don't mind our starters, but were in trouble if Mctakea**** or Fort has to play.
    IMO Timmons is a better option than those two.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Timmons shouldn't have been in coverage, which was proven in the first game vs. NE that season. That was my point.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    You ain't lying! But he will have to be. There in lies the major issue. If he was in the Steelers plans he would have been here. I liked what he brought while he was here but that ship sailed, he cashed in with the fish and really was not this dominate force of yesteryear. Mac is right, we have to get younger at the position and and I feel if Dirty Red can start. They might get a free agent ala Haden. The past is gone and so is the idea of bringing Timmons back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    what is funny Glenn is that guys have been yammering since last Thursday about getting help at ILB but when you mention Timmons it is no thank you , old and slow we need player x who is 38 only ever played MLB in a 4-3, doesn't know the system and will be a liability in coverage but he can run stuff plus he can be had for the bargain basement price of 8 million a year. Who wants Timmons when they can have this stud whoever they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I was pointing out that Timmons wasn't solely responsible for the NE playoff loss a couple years ago. Bringing him back wouldn't make a lot of sense, but if it happens I won't be surprised.

11. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Other than Bostic...if we gotta march out the likes of a Tyler M....Fort.....Spence.....M

12. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Other than Bostic and maybe Vince[Who i think is average]...if we gotta march out the likes of Tyler,Fort,Spence,Moates,or Any warm body we have on the bench to play ILB and depend on these guys to make plays we are in trouble....I'm all for getting younger but if your young and slow and cant make plays whats the point..

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see it happening.

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I was a huge fan of Lawrence Timmons but his ship has sailed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I think if you give Dirty Red a chance now that he is healthy he will surprise you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I understand that but that is the style D the Steelers run, he couldn't do it then and he can't do it now so bringing him back is worthless imo. The Raiders just signed Johnson not sure how much but I will be curious to see maybe we sign a vet too, we are getting cap space now.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah since last Thursday that would be when the draft was, we all wanted a young guy not a slow vet.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Have you seen TM play, yeah he struggled when he came in for Ryan but the kid given time can play. You don't rack up almost 500 tackles in your college career by not knowing how to play.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Or the same guys who were saying we have to get an ILB in the draft are now saying we don't need one because we're going to play some made up new defense with like 5 Safeties.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Based on what Ove seen from him this far I'm not seeing it. Now he could surprise us, but until he does I don't have any confidence in him.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He's not as slow as you're making him out to be. anyone that wants to can look up the Steelers Chief game in 2016 on youtube to see for themselves. They'd see a play in that game where Timmons was caught behind Travis Kelce on a deep route where he got beat. Of course what percentage of linebackers in the NFL would have been beaten given the same situation?

You'd also note that Timmons did a pretty damn good job running with him despite the outcome.

And this thread is not about putting Timmons in on obvious passing downs but in your 3-4 base packages. If anyone reviews the Jaguar's playoff game, they'd see Flournette's runs were primarily due to two reasons.

1) bad angles and run play by Sean Spence

2) bad angles and run play by Vince Williams.

People are over-exaggerating Timmon's decline. He's obviously not worth the 5 Mil a year Miami was going to pay him.

But for the veteran minimum, the Steelers would be foolish to not bring him back for depth and for situational package.

That is of course he'd be ok with that role. don't need another situation like how things ended with James Harrison.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The Tyler Matakevich that ran a 4.81 forty at the combine? Younger doesn't mean faster, and he's yet to show that he can do more than help with special teams. Not a good idea to put your faith in that when just last year we were destroyed by a physical running team. For anyone that cares, Spence was also a 3rd round pick. We see how he worked out in a starter role. The guy is once again a free agent without a job.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Dirty's got flashes, but I don't think he's sure of himself. To me he questions his instincts but if he stops doing that it will make a big difference in his play.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Sorry Glenn all you have to do is read a little bit to know this is not a made up D. It is all over how the Steelers want to play more dime and how they have been trying to do this the past year or so. Here is one article talking about it:

http://triblive.com/sports/columnis...lers-might-be-so-interested-in-another-safety

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Matakevich was injured bad and tried to play through it because this team didn't have much else at the time. It's evident because he had shoulder surgery about two days after our season ended. Tyler is really Vince's backup. Vince was timmons backup. Vince is the guy that has way fewer tackles than timmons had in this defense but you hear little about that. We seem to want to blame matakevich for not being able to replace shazier. We blame Spence for not being able to replace shazier. We want timmons back, for what? To replace shazier? Not in the cards. We have plenty of help for the timmons, Vince, matakevich spot. Bostic and Thomas are the guys that are going to replace shazier spot. Then we are going to use the two good sized safeties to help that situation and also keep bostic on the field to help the Vince situation. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1