1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The official NFL draft 2020 thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 23, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Hey, if he can be, at the absolute least, technically advanced, this pick will be a win in my book! :hi:

I am not expecting him to become T.J. Watt overnight. I would like him to make a name for himself. He has the tools. Just needs the refinement.:)

• Like Like x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Could just be they are happy with what we have at rb. With watt being added, snell, samuels, hall, whyte, webb, edmunds, Conner are more then enough. I do like snell.

We have added size and speed to the wr room. Added speed to the TE room.

We have added to center. We have tackles. We have options at guard.

We have backups at OLB.

We have options all over actually. It may not be what we all want but they see these guys and know more about them then we do.

We probably were not going to get a lot of first level players with the picks we have now but guys that are depth. The xfl guys we have do have a leg up on college rookies. :cool:

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    A lot of good players still on the board.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I said from the onset this should be a boring draft where they fill holes and add to the respective lines.... I, for one, am ecstatic they added Claypool, but the rest of the draft should be for depth and role players imo. Highsmith is one....he's not starting but he gives KB an option on 3rd down and in 2021 in case Ola/Skipper don't pan out. I hope they do, just sayin.....

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think this is a chickillo upgrade and replacement and are hoping for more. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Bryce hall- cb/s option
    amik robertson- possible hilton replacement if we lose him next year.
    AJ green cb/s option for depth
    Leki fotu- NT
    Troy dye - ilb
    These are some guys still on the board that we could be looking at hopefully. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yes, after all the bitching and moaning for letting Skipper go, they still let him go unprotected. And I was first and foremost in that group,believe you me. That tells me something.

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    So you really don't know other then they played a different system in college right? Well so many drafted especially along the dline/lb play different schemes in college then what they are drafted for. I mean look we just drafted a DE in Highsmith and are going to play him at a position he never played:

Highsmith, a walk-on at Charlotte, was named a third-team All-American after racking up 14 sacks while playing along the defensive line. He will move to outside linebacker in Pittsburgh.

So to say a player don't fit just because they play a different position isn't fair, unless you seen something and that was what I was asking. I was curious is you seen something but you just read it that's fine. Don't much matter now we didn't draft either but we did get Highsmith and I like that. I wanted a S, OLB or a C/OG so he fits the bill. lol.

Advertisement

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    4 picks left....4 positions to fill....S,ILB,OL,DL. IMO the Highsmith pick was a little early and I now think it’s crucial that between Hightower, Ola and Skipper one of them has to develop enough to push Dupree and more importantly that 16+ million off our salary cap. Not looking too promising that the salary cap goes up significantly in light of this pandemic and we have JUJU and Watt to sign. That 16+ can go a long way. The Highsmith pick can go from good to great if he becomes the bookend to Watt. I would of preferred OL,ILB or S at that point but at the end of the day you judge the draft as a whole. Let’s see how we do the rest of the way....

• Like Like x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

You aren't kidding:

QB Fromm and Eason
    RB Perine
    WR Gandy-Golden
    TE Bryant, OKwuegbunam
    C Biadasz and Harris
    DE/OLB Weaver, Anae, Willekes and Robinson
    DT Lawrence, Fotu
    ILB Weaver

Give me any of these players and I won't complain lol. There are many more these are just my top guys if I was giving my opinion on good players. There are also some OT's there as well

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I agree and this draft has been just that a little early for a lot of players. Look at some of the guys left many were "projected" in the first 2 rounds. I love the Highsmith pick and hope he get more of a chance then just special teams. I am luke warm on the Claypool pick but like I said yesterday I was warming up on a RB/WR with our first pick. I heard a guy yesterday say the NFL is all about offense so you draft offense..........I kinda get it and agree with it. Also with Juju in his last year kinda protects up if he has a down year from being left in the dark if we move on from him.

13. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    They let James Harrison go about six times before he became a difference maker. Could it be that sometimes, the front office is better lucky than good?

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    that's the best thing about player development...when you hit you feel like a god, when you bomb, you want to look for the closest hole...its a low floor high ceiling job LOL :lolol:

perhaps that's the greatest draw to the draft....

• Like Like x 2
  15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey buddy! Yeah I agree it did seem quite a few guys went earlier than expected. I guess it’s the one mans trash theory. I didn’t have Claypool on our radar that early either but there was a significant run on WRs and I do like his athleticism and upside over Pittman. As far as Highsmith I agree ,give him a chance along with the Toledo Twins. Last thing I want is to go into another offseason not knowing where we stand at OLB. These guys needs the opportunity to step up. We spent our second highest pick (with limited capital) on a OLB the last thing I want is to have OLB as our biggest need in next years draft. I’m thinking the newer philosophy of letting our OLBs rush more often should diminish the past concerns about coverage and should help the young guys just focus on getting to the QB. There’s nothing wrong with giving them some rotational snaps to show what they can and can’t do.

Let’s see how we fill in some other voids on the roster today.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah there was a serious run on WR's and I am not surprised cause everyone that talked about this draft talked how great that position is........time will tell. Here is what NFL.com has to say:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Day 1 grade: A
    Day 2 picks: Notre Dame WR Chase Claypool (No. 49 overall); UNC-Charlotte LB Alex Highsmith (No. 102)
    Day 2 grade and analysis: A
    Claypool is the sort of physical force on the outside that the Steelers haven't had for a while. He could play a stand-up tight end role inside, as well. Adding him to former second-rounders JuJu Smith-Schuster (2017) and James Washington (2018) will make the Steelers' offense as dangerous as Ben Roethlisberger's beard. Pittsburgh found its mid-round edge rusher in Highsmith, who's able to beat his man off the line and chase down quarterbacks with aplomb. I was a bit surprised he was still on the board when Pittsburgh picked in the third round.

• Like Like x 1
  17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    That hurts :lolol: I lauded over Pittman this year and had Claypool as a target as early as last year (though defintiely not as high). I try and I try....LOL

• Like Like x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Great! I made the TE point as well. I know some don’t want to see him there,myself included but my point was he could play similar to how they are gonna use Ebron if one of the TEs goes down. It’s another way to get a weapon on the field.

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry didn’t mean to inflict pain...lol. I’m pretty sure Pittman turns out pretty good as well. I’m just a sucker for elite athleticism.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't see Claypool as a TE myself, but I'm no pro....
    And I don't see Highsmith beating off lineman .....nevermind.....context error on my part LOL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

IMO we are giving Ben every weapon he needs now with Ebron and Claypool. I hope he is healthy cause if these guys stay on the field they will be hard to stop with a good QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ewwwwwwwww...Sicko

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Agree LOL, but seriously, he will provide a good back up to Dupree and Watt imo. I think Skipper is a gamer, he just doesn't like to practice from those involved. OLa gets hurt on KR coverage a lot so is he the answer at ROLB after Dupree leaves? There's some doubt there.

24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Glad that didn't go unnoticed! :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yep, long night my friend LOL