1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The official 2023 NFL draft thread (no spoilers)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickett's development is the most important factor for the Steelers in 2023. He needs to take a step forward if the Steelers are going to make the playoffs and be a threat once they get there.

I would be very surprised to see Jack return. They signed two starting inside linebackers as free agents. They still have Robinson and added Muse as another reserve there. I think any additional resources will be focused on help at outside linebacker or strong safety.

2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Should or shouldn’t? That’s critical. A typo or how you felt.

If you are saying you and the rest of the league then are you saying the medical concern that blew up on draft day didn’t play a factor in his draft slide and even without it he was going to slide into at least the third?

Because yeah, I still believe differently and that the knee concern played a huge factor in his slide. Until other teams specifically answer that question directly and it may never become a story we will never actually know 100%, but it will take only one team to confirm that they backed away because of it or not.

I’d really like to know, and not just to settle a debate in here, but because I had so much desire invested into his selection I am really dying to know why he slid. Even the Steelers could answer the question, but because he’s on the team already I doubt they answer with absolute transparency. It doesn’t help anything. They will just move forward with real important business and not worthless debate settling.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    “Shouldn’t”.

If there is a problem with the knee we will find out. I don’t think there is though, I don’t think he slid, I think 3rd rd was just his value. Only the best receiving TE’s go early. I know you are anticipating him to be a big weapon in the passing game but that’s purely projection, his body of work doesn’t indicate that.

Obviously if this guy churns out Kelce level production I’ll be a very happy fan, I just don’t see that happening.

4. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, without rehashing things ad naseum even further I seem to remember us bickering quite heavily on if they were lucky or not. It’s all about level of luck vs. plan. I said it was more luck, I read your comments it was part of a greater plan that I disagreed with and the post draft comments I felt backed my position. At this point…whatever.

I agree that it seems clear that Washington was not in their plans at 32 regardless. 49 I’m not sure, because of the medical. Again, I think that might have played a factor.

5. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, we disagree there for the most part. I’ve stated all along I think his stats suffered because of the stacked system he played in combined with his tremendous blocking value. If he was on most other college teams I’m betting his number are far better in the receiving category. We will never know.

But I don’t think he’ll ever be Kelsey level at receiving. That guy is too physical an agility freak. But Washington, yes, I think he can become a way better receiving player if he’s given the opportunity. We will see…

6. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    The conversation about Muse is he’s for special teams and a deep insurance value at the ILB position, not really the third ILB rotation option. Robinson is still a question mark. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Steelers want Jack back. But I’d be surprised if Jack himself wants to return. I think his career would be extended if he settles here.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The Steelers said they were comfortable trading down at 80 because the number of players they liked there.
    Daiyan Henley, Trenton Simpson, Ja'yir Brown, DeMarvion Overshown, Jordan Battle, Ricky Stronmerg, Ika, Cameron Latu, Kelee Ringo, Abediwore all taken in the next 30 picks. They were going to get a player they liked at a position of need. Only the first 4 were taken before our pick.

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This draft has the potential to be the best since 2017. Maybe better. 2017 was a good draft.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Being that most are still playing, and some still starting in the NFL....Yes(2017) it was a great draft. I agree :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Watt being pretty much a sure shot HOF'er helps too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

@AskQuestionsLater will really like this. Too much can be made of these scores sometimes but when you can actually play the position as all of these guys can and have this kind of athleticism, phew this class has the potential to be one for the ages.

Even Herbig makes it into the green when you score him as a LB and not a DE.

Can’t wait for this season to get here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t wish summer away

Why does this sound familiar to me

Oh now I remember you don’t like summer

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Wow… I feel like I need a library card to read some of the posts in this thread.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I hate summer too but it's now May and it's snowing outside and going to snow the next 2 days with highs in the 30's. I don't like that too much either.

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I just emptied out me wallet, found mine stuffed in the George Castansa pocket..you know..the never use bit always keep stash.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I checked in having missed most of the weekend and was pleased to see that, despite the general sense this was a great draft, TSF still has an 115 page thread of highly specific arguments.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Only one good thing about summer

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We don't know that the medical concern only "blew up" on draft day. That was when the media and general public heard about it. That doesn't mean teams weren't aware. Also, it is only speculation that concerns about his knees are why he was taken later than expected. Players fall in drafts for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes, they are good reasons. Sometimes, they are really stupid reasons.

Hell, even one team saying they backed away due to his knee doesn't mean others did the same.

You are right about one thing. The Steelers have no reason to address the question of why he was drafted later than expected. They certainly don't want to put information out there about his health.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Pittsburgh has historically prided itself on drafting hearts n smarts players with high degrees of athletic ability. Jarvis Jones was merely a wake up call for not just Tomlin but Colbert and subsequently Kahn as well. Happy to see that they have not changed since 2014.

Regarding Herbig, I stand by my assessment of him; likely to be a ILB in the future but best served as a rotational piece for the pass rush. He needs to hit the NFL Weight Room; something he likely has done already.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bikinis

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sun dresses

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Up to 3

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    It’s not **** all cold would be 4

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Have we/ did we bring in a punter in FA/ undrafted player?
    I hope we find a new one!

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    In terms of the teams needs, Herbig has to be an OLB. Because we really don't have anything else to back Watt or Highsmith up.

Looking at his college stuff he looks a lot like Watt, except for being slightly smaller. Okay his arm length is 2 inches shorter, but I think you need to at least try him there first ... because if you move him inside I think he is just gonna wash out with the team. If he plays on the inside he is gonna have to learn a new position. They will have to have the patience for that.

I really think Leal has to remain as 3-4 DE. He has shown he is a good pass rusher, and I truly believe he can someday excel at setting the edge.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1