1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

THe Official 2014 Draft Thread [No Spoilers]

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, May 8, 2014.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    wrong they are the exact same size only archer is faster and stronger.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The defense is why we were losing games last year (never thought I'd say that), the offense was averaging 28 points a game down the stretch. Seems logical to focus on the part that was broken.

3. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Have to admit my homer-ism here and just fess up. Have you seen what they've done to the D up front? Tuitt , a beast w/ surprising speed and a knack for getting to the QB and a freakish LB that is a human bullet.

Worlids, Jones, Timmons, Shazear, heyward, Tuitt

Are you kidding me? Can we keep them?

4. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Glass = half FULL. I like it.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm preparing for Worilds to walk at the end of the year. I'm just hoping he goes out in a blaze of glory.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No homerism necessary. Those first two picks were solid. :thumbs_up:

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the kid played outdoors just outside akron and Cleveland ohio. wait an hour and that will be the same weather in Pittsburgh then.

he's strong for that weight. he can do a lot of things quickly. a lot more than a gadget player. he is a good RB for his size, and that one cut and gone ability should come in handy in the zone blocking scheme we want to run.

he fills 3 roles. 4th wr that can burn any team deep. a 3rd RB that can gash a tired defense after bell and blount pound them for a while. he's an excellent return man which we need.

he lifted 50 lbs. more than his body weight 20 times. a handy guy on the gameday 45. we were crowding ourselves in a 20 yard box without a field stretcher. now we have a bunch of speed at WR.

we will take shots. DHB, wheaton, archer, even moye is a 4.46 guy. moore and AB will toast underneath coverage. just imagine DHB and wheaton sent deep, AB and moore mid range and then having a human highlight reel sitting in the backfield behind ben. if you are a defense, what would you do? we have a veteran franchise qb, he will find the spot to put the ball.

I think it was early for archer going in the 3rd round but he would not have lasted until the 4th. heck he was a 7th or UDFA just a couple of months ago. well at least by the expert draft guru's on the puter.:cool:

8. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    it appears that my disease is progressing as I can't wait to see what they do today. A deep draft with 6 more pks & a bunch good choices.

Day off, hoagie and maybe a beer or two and see how it unfolds.
    I've been looking forward to this.

9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    When I watch Dri Archer on tape, I am always reminded of one of my friends when we get together to play flag football. My friend has never played organized football in his life. He doesn't watch football. He doesn't even like to play football. He is 5'5 and 135 lbs, yet he is always the first player picked.

Speed kills.

I'm not sure i've seen evidence that once Dri Archer has gotten past a defender that anyone has ever caught him.

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Kent state is actually in east Liverpool Ohio which is a lot closer to Pittsburgh then Cleveland. You can spit across the border into Midland Pa which is where my dad is from and about 10 minutes from where I grew up.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    how motivated will tuitt be? that's my concern with him. he's got to lose some gut he's accumulated. he's got to get in better shape. he's coming off a foot injury. so was keisel.

when I look at him and cam and what they did in college, I don't see tuitt as nearly as good of player. cam was a 1st rounder but late, tuitt not near as good also in the top 50 is my question mark.

plus a 7th rounder last year and an UDFA that showed a lot of potential. are they simply backups? did we really just draft Williams last year as a backup at best? we needed help at a lot of positions last year and this one, could we just afford to draft for possible backup duties or going after guy that could possibly start at some point?

I hope tuitt does get back to his former self, but he's got a little ways to go. slight panic pick I thought.:cool:

12. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    Would not have made it far into the 2nd if we didn't take him and he probably wouldn't have even made it to our 1st pick minus the injury. IMO

13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Cam was a better overall player than Tuitt coming out of college. That being said, Tuitt has a higher ceiling. Tuitt is a better athlete than Cam. Whoever was looking after Tuitt at Notre Dame failed him bigtime. While it has to be on the player too, injury or not, who allowed Tuitt to balloon to 330 lbs?

I believe he was down to 305 at the Combine, which looks like a good weight to me. If he can get back to his 2012 self, we have a great one.

You know I like Arnfelt, but he needs time to develop. Even Keisel took 5 years to start. Arnfelt will be a backup for a while. As for Nick Williams, I think his ceiling is to be a backup. He will be PS this year.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't really see motivation as a concern. He's got a lot of upside. I just want to see more violence at the point of attack. He's 20 years old coming off a minor fracture that was corrected with surgery. Keisel is 35...

Tuitt already dropped a ton of that weight. Get him in a NFL weight program and it should be solid.

Yes, they're backups. They were fliers that were hopefully going to be able to compete and contribute. Good to have developmental depth who may be able to eventually step in.

15. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    As much as I have defended this defense over the years it was time (past time actually) to work on it. In the off season the offense got a solid running back, some help at wide receiver, its best offensive lineman back from injury, and a guy who may be the best offensive line coach in the business. A tall receiver for Ben, more help for the defense, and maybe an offensive lineman somewhere. Munchak has a history of coaching up good late-round linemen.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    your mistaken my friend. east Liverpool has a KSU branch. :smiley1::cool:

17. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I believe Tuitt has already lost the extra weight. He played at 308 in 2012 and was a wrecking ball. Last year he played around 330. I think Coach Mitchell said he was 305 at his pro day.

Really like this pick. When you think about talent, need, scheme fit, and value I like it as much as the Decastro pick (and I LOVED that pick).

As for Arnfelt and Nick Williams, I think we need four solid DEs to rotate in and keep everyone fresh. Remember, in the heyday of the mid-2000s we had Aarron Smith, Kimo, Travis Kierschke, and Kiesel rotating in and out.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    On ESPN Tedy Bruschi picked the Steelers as the team that has the best draft so far, not sure most fans would agree with him. He really liked the Tuitt pick he thinks he will be great fit as a 3/4 DE.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    production last year vs the top 50 pick this year still has me scratching my head. I have never seen him as that good of player. at 46, 2 good years may have qualified that for me. I don't hate the pick, but hate where we had to do it.:cool:

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  21. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

I was going to chime in on that as well...Kent State...is actually in Kent Ohio...about 70 miles NW of East Liverpool

As for the draft....I am pretty happy....Shazier and Archer are both my guys......while Tuitt just made sense

my actual draft at this point would have been
    Benjamin, SJB, Chistian Jones

HACK

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The run on CB's has begun.

23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  24. TerribleTowelFlying