1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

the offensive line is offensive

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Nov 28, 2011.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am sick of watching teams get in our backfield before we can blink. starks could have been called for holding almost every pass play and still was getting beat. dont get me started on kemo he cant pass block at all. foster is slow and gilbert shows flashes of being good but he is not consistant enough. i like the oline coach. he seems to know his stuff. is it coaching or does he not have anything to work with? I have looked at the senior class coming into the draft and there are some good prospects even in mid to late rounds. we have got to address this problem this year. I think we need to get a left tackle and a guard at the least. I know people have been screaming for a fullback but if we can fix the oline that might not a need

2. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Starks played well yesterday. IF what you call holding on Starks was always called, every play ran in the game would have a holding call tagged to it. He was up against a premier pass rusher and did a very good job. Foster and Kemo did not. Really would have liked to see Pouncey in there with Doug as a guard. Gilbert played pretty well too. Worlds was getting really held and they let it go and then later called a phantom hold on us (I think they called Heath).

We need a guard. Our line is not as bad as people claim. Our play designs and calling on the other hand....

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm going with what i've been preaching for years. we need two good guards. mobile guys like pouncey. able to make multiple blocks on plays. not giants that can't move. i want one guy that can play guard and center and one that can play guard. hopefully one of them is a vet. :cool:

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Years of drafting in later rounds is taking its toll on the offensive line. They have neglected it in early rounds with the exception of Pouncey.

Look at other teams. Teams like the Bengals, Jets, and 49ers have bruising offensive lines. They were horrible for years had the early draft picks to create a line that can get a push.

5. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Foster is really bad or really lazy or both. He got beat on that quick sack that ended up being a holding penaly against KC. In all my years of watching the Steelers, I have never saw a guy shed a block and got to our QB as fast as the KC defender did last night. Foster put his hands up and the defender simply pushed him aside like he was barely there and Foster made no attempt to even move afterward but instead he just stood there with a stupid look on his face. This is the same guy that missed a block that resulted in a safety and loss to the Jets last year, he shouldn't even get close to the field, I can't believe there isn't a better option out there right now. Like mac daddyo said, our o-line is too big and slow, the guards aren't athletic enough to pull so the team can't run traps or power sweeps or anything to let the RBs get momentum in space, instead they get pushed off the ball and into the backfield forcing the RB to go a different route and losing all his momentum. If you want to know exactly how bad the o-line is all one must do is look and see Foster as a starting guard and that right there kind of tells you they are pretty bad.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    alot of it is self inflicted. alot of guys we passed on are starting and playing well over the years and they are not all high draft picks. it's more of who we pick than when we pick them. :cool:

7. markthadon

markthadon Member

Nov 28, 2011
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Kemo is hurt...he really need surgery.

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    in the brain ?

10. markthadon

markthadon Member

Nov 28, 2011
    he was garbage before the injury he has always been overrated

11. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  12. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    alot of it is self inflicted. alot of guys we passed on are starting and playing well over the years and they are not all high draft picks. it's more of who we pick than when we pick them. :cool:[/quote:3cxs8mg9]

I agree Mac-D. It seems as if our FO is stuck in the Cowher power-football years while our current offensive philosophy is calling for more mobile, athletic guys, which we do not have (other than Pouncey). When we have a 60/40 pass/run split we need a more athletic OL. Heck, we should just draft a bunch of TE's for our OL for all the time we run 5-wide empty sets in the GTG situations; it's not like we go power anymore. There's got to be 5 Mark Breuner's out there somewhere!

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This will be the down fall of this current PGH Steeler team.

14. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    It's the same complaint every year - O-line is terrible. Even in the last 3 Super Bowl years. Somehow they have managed to overcome it.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    alot of it is self inflicted. alot of guys we passed on are starting and playing well over the years and they are not all high draft picks. it's more of who we pick than when we pick them. :cool:[/quote:22h00pqm]

I agree Mac-D. It seems as if our FO is stuck in the Cowher power-football years while our current offensive philosophy is calling for more mobile, athletic guys, which we do not have (other than Pouncey). When we have a 60/40 pass/run split we need a more athletic OL. Heck, we should just draft a bunch of TE's for our OL for all the time we run 5-wide empty sets in the GTG situations; it's not like we go power anymore. There's got to be 5 Mark Breuner's out there somewhere![/quote:22h00pqm]

I agree with Mac as well. What's not clear is whether it's the scouting, or the development and training that's the real key to fixing this.

On a more optimistic note, I think our RBs are picking up blitzes far better than thye have done in the past at the moment. When Baron Batch gets helthy this should only improve.

16. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree Mac-D. It seems as if our FO is stuck in the Cowher power-football years while our current offensive philosophy is calling for more mobile, athletic guys, which we do not have (other than Pouncey). When we have a 60/40 pass/run split we need a more athletic OL. Heck, we should just draft a bunch of TE's for our OL for all the time we run 5-wide empty sets in the GTG situations; it's not like we go power anymore. There's got to be 5 Mark Breuner's out there somewhere![/quote:rx8v5y48]

I agree with Mac as well. What's not clear is whether it's the scouting, or the development and training that's the real key to fixing this.

On a more optimistic note, I think our RBs are picking up blitzes far better than thye have done in the past at the moment. When Baron Batch gets helthy this should only improve.[/quote:rx8v5y48]

"...our RBs are picking up blitzes far better..."

Must be all the practice they are getting, at it, during real games.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we did get gilbert in the 2nd last year and i think he will be a decent tackle for us. i still think our trouble is mobility at the guard spots. my wish list is one solid mobile draft pick. one solid mobile vet. hopefully one of the two will be able to play center as well if pouncey went down for a game or two. legs is a decent backup for that spot, but i'm talking starter quality. :cool:

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    [/quote:o8xf5grv]

Can you see anyone on the horizon who might be available as an FA next year?

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Can you see anyone on the horizon who might be available as an FA next year?[/quote:1xxh5ra5]

hard to say. you know how we have a bad habit of waiting for the higher priced guys to go first. i wanted bass last year. that would have taken care of the vet part and the center/guard part as well. whoever it is ,he can't be just a run blocker, he has to be able to hold his ground in the passing game as well. there should be quite a few on the market, but to get that c/g guy they may have to jump early. kugler likes those types too. :cool:

20. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I think our O-Line is a lot better this year than it was last year. Kemo needs to go, but I think Legursky and Gilbert have definitely stepped up and can be starters if they keep progressing. Starks too, is playing better than he used to but like everyone on the line he does struggle at times. I just think this line gets on a roll better than last year and is a little more consistent. Injuries keep messing up whatever cohesiveness they have, imagine having to switch positions several times a year.

21. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    O-Line definitely needs work.

Gilbert is susceptible to the bull-rush. I think that's where most people notice him falter. That's what I'm noticing.

Starks seems to have a couple plays, here-and-there, where he struggles, but, for the most part he seems okay.

I see way to many errors/mistakes out of Kemo.

I agree that we need more agile/athletic O-Lineman for the zone blocking scheme BA seems to want to employ.