1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The new Tight Ends in the league

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerD, Feb 20, 2012.

1. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    These fast, receiving type tight ends around the league have me thinking. They create such a match-up problem for a defense, could we use a guy like this. I have one in mind. Brett Bracket, former PSU wide receiver and offensive captain. He spent this season on Miami's practice squad. He played wide receiver in college, so we know he has the hands. He tried out for Miami as a TE because he is not fast enough to be an NFL WR. I don't know what he is listed at but he is a pretty big kid (approx. 6-4 225-235). I worked with him for a summer while he was in school and will say that he is incredibly smart and has a first rate attitude. His character will never be an issue. Also, he will come very cheap.

Before you all start with the "if he's on miami's practice squad, how could he be any good" comments, check him out for yourselves. The short preseason last year really hurt guys like him. Teams had to go with flash and athleticism, they didn't have time for rookies to demonstrate hard work or intelligence.

2. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    your reasons for wanting him seem to contradict the entire thesis of your post.

you use words like "fast" "receiving type" "flash" "athleticism" to describe what you call "the new tight ends in the league" and then say we should go after your guy because he possesses "a first rate attitude" "hard work" and "intelligence."

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If he's too slow to be a WR in college than he can't be the next Jimmy Graham or Gronkowski.

4. SteelerD

Oct 20, 2011
    I never said he was slow or not athletic enough for a TE. I said he was too slow to be an NFL WR. If you don't think that character, hard work, and intelligence are important, I'll have to disagree with your opinion. I'm not saying that he could be the next "Gronk", but he might make a valuable player to have in certain situations. If you think the Steelers are going to go out and get some big name FA then you haven't been paying attention to the way the Steelers operate. This is the kind of guy they could get at the league minimum, to fill a specific role. Also, I'll take a guy who can learn and understand his role over an idiot who can jump high and run fast. Given the short offseason, smart but slightly less physically talented players were not given the chance to show their intelligence, because none of them (Smart or not) had time to show their ability to learn and execute the finer points of an NFL offense.

5. SteelerD

Oct 20, 2011
    He was not too slow to be a WR in College. He played WR at PSU. The next Gronk/Graham will not come cheap. Why does every FA signing have to be a superstar. All NFL teams have men on their roster that are well aware they will never be superstars.

Just like I thought, some people on this board will shoot down an idea without putting in any effort whatsoever to check a guy out. There is no way that either you or "the wonderer" had time to even google the guy.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Interesting guy....I would definately like him over Johnson.....He could be a good situational type of TE/WR,he seems to be a solid FB player from the tapes I can see...

7. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not shooting it down, but when your original post basically compared him to the new TE's in the league (Graham, Gronk, etc) I assumed that's what he was.

8. SteelerD

Oct 20, 2011
    He would be able to line up in the slot and be a big target across the middle. Being honest, I just really liked the guy. He worked for the same company I do during the summer. He was always early to work, well spoken, and friendly to anyone who approached him. He was also very highly thought of by the PSU staff.

9. SteelerD

Oct 20, 2011
    I am not such a fool to think the next Jimmy Graham is sitting on the Dolphin's practice squad, but yes I think he fits into the fast (ish) down field receiving TE group.

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He'd have to run a 4.5-4.6. He also doesn't sound big enough. He sounds like a big WR, but these new tight ends are more like 6'5"-6'7", 250+ lbs. Not saying he can't do it, but he's not even close to the prototype.

11. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Well that's what immediately came to mind when I read your original post, that he was one of the new breeds of TE's in the league. That's why I was skeptical at first. I will check him out in time. There's so many players I'm trying to do research on

12. SteelerD

Oct 20, 2011
    Listed at 6-6 246 Lbs Approximately 4.6 40 Time.

Edit: Apparently I'm a bad at guessing height and weight.

13. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i get labeled "the wonderer" because you failed to support your thesis effectively? i guess that's fair because i'm 'wondering' why the hell you pimped this guy and completely undersold his ability.

you suggest the new trend of nfl tight ends are fast, athletic, flashy, and BECAUSE OF THESE TRAITS, create mismatch problems for opposing defenses then suggest we go after a specific guy who you fail to attribute ANY of these traits to. instead you talk about how he's a nice guy, he's smart and he works hard.

then you put words in my mouth that i never even thought of: "If you don't think that character, hard work, and intelligence are important, I'll have to disagree with your opinion" i never said any of those things were unimportant. none of that quote represents "(my) opinion." "If you think the Steelers are going to go out and get some big name FA then you haven't been paying attention to the way the Steelers operate." THIS never came up ANYWHERE in this thread!

you'll "take a guy who can learn and understand his role over an idiot who can jump high and run fast?" there is an opinion i will differ on. i'll gladly take the idiot who is a superstar athlete that produces (think jermichael finley) over the intelligent, hard-working, non-producing project (think matt spaeth). ideally, i'd like a combination of both (think gronkowksi, gonzalez, or graham).

perhaps you'd have been more effective in communicating your idea by not titling it "the new tight ends in the league", highlighting why they are great, and then suggesting we go after a guy who is anything but.

call it what it is. you personally know a guy, like him and, therefore, would want him on the steelers rather than the dolphins. heck, maybe he WOULD be a good fit for our team.

14. SteelerD

Oct 20, 2011
    A little touchy are you? I simply misspelled you name by accident. No insult intended. As to the wanting a guy like Graham/Gronk etc. Go ahead and find a guy who will perform like them, then look at what it costs to sign them. The only sure way to get a guy like that is through FA, we can't afford it.

Brackett would cause match-up problems similarly to the new breed of tight ends, I never said he would be a hall of fame TE because realistically he won't. He also won't want to be paid like one. If you look at his resume, and assuming I am not totally full of it when it comes to his character, you will see that he fits your combination of talent and character fairly well.

And yes, I'm not denying that I would like to see a personal friend on the Steelers. Who wouldn't. I wouldn't go so far as to say he would be a superstar, I just think some guys like him go unnoticed by front offices who have no way of knowing about his attitude or work ethic.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No reason they can't draft a guy. Aaron Hernadez was a 4th round pick.

With Saunders out for 4 games I definitely think they will draft a TE in the early-mid rounds...

16. SteelerD

Oct 20, 2011
    Are there any sleeper TEs coming out this year? I wouldn't want to spend an early round pick on a TE, but if we could find one to fit this bill in the late rounds I wouldn't mind taking a chance.

17. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    how about Orson Charles, TE, from Georgia

18. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    THIS...
    Ladarius Green - TE - Louisiana-Lafayette - I have him to us in round 5 of my mock

[youtube:2posy4m0]fIY2E556BdY[/youtube:2posy4m0]