1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Narrative For This Season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ThrowToHeath, Sep 9, 2024.

1. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I have found it bizarre that the narrative for this team has been about Wilson vs. Fields all season. Nobody seems to be talking about trying to play to win now while we have this defense and are relatively healthy. The Jets signed Rodgers last year, who is older than Wilson, to try to win now. I don't understand why that isn't the narrative for us this year, especially in the national media. I guess having two viable QBs creates drama and that sells, but this seems to be very clear. The team was able to sign Wilson cheaply, looking for leadership which was non-existent last year on offense, and an experienced manager that would improve our scoring. We don't need superstar play right not at QB to be able to go deep in the playoffs. We just need average or above average play and scoring. Look at the way the team looked when Rudolph came in last year. He was average, but they looked a lot better.

A lot of people seem more interested in trying to find the next franchise QB instead of winning now. I have seen so many people say that they think Fields should be given the whole season to see what we have in him. Well, he isn't a superstar franchise QB and likely won't be. If he manages games like this week then yes, its an upgrade. But is that enough? He should sit behind Wilson when he is healthy, and learn from him. Perhaps next year he can be given the reins because we won't keep both of them. But for now, we should be in win-now mode and I am unsure if he gives us the best chance once Wilson is healthy.

A lot of this pro-Fields hype reminds me a lot of the Pickett hype. Pickett was so below average (statistically) yet people were sold on him for some reason. Same thing here with Fields. Yet the same people will say Wilson was so bad last year in Denver, even though he threw 26 TDs before he was benched. Which was more than Pickett threw in his career.

Very bizarre.

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Little odd, Jets get Rodgers at 39 I think and talk of the town. Injured all year, coming back at 40 and talk again of Playoffs. The amazing Aaron Rodgers has been to 1 freaking SB. We get a 35 year old Wilson, a 9 time Pro Bowler, been to 2 SB's and it is a predicted 7-8 win team.

I hope the Niners eat them alive tonight.