1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The most amazing turnaround run ever.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    The 2005 Steelers were one of the most incredible turnaround championship seasons in the modern history of the NFL. It really was. After a 15-1 2004 season, they started an up-and-down campaign, with Ben missing games for a stretch, digging themselves a hole where they needed to win out the rest of the season.

They did.

They faced a tough Bears' team, when Bettis put up the last great game of his career, capping his 100+ yard game with a iconic rush, where he ran over and through the Bears future hall-of-fame LB Brian Urlacher.

Then they beat their next three opponents - Vikings, Browns and Lions - to secure the last place seed in the playoffs.

It was at that point that they went on their "Revenge B-tch tour" where they beat all of their opponents on the road. They won in Cinci, in Indy and in Denver to earn the shot at Seattle in the Super Bowl.

They were the lowest seed in league history to win a Super Bowl. Although the actual Super Bowl felt a little anticlimactic, the overall run was among the greatest ever.

Honorable mention: 1991 Giants, having lost starting QB Phil Simms, and finding a way to beat the seemingly unbeatable 49ers in the NFC championship game, and beating the seemingly unstoppable Bills in the Super Bowl. Parcells did a masterful job of coaching that team. Wow.

2. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I totally disagree........ That team underachieved all year long and they better have beat those 4 teams to end season. they were much better............

3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I lost hair a handful at a time during the Lions game... Was happy they pulled it out, but I was super pissed during that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It pays to be hot as the season ends and going into the playoffs, not necessarily so at the beginning.

Everyone knew we were on a roll and were looking like the team of destiny as the playoffs started. I remember we were the favorites on the road in Cincy. Yep, SB was a snoozer. If Seahags would have scored some more then Cowher would have taken the handcuffs off the offense. It was a Cowher-ball game all the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Which was funny in a sense as I felt the same, but was wondering if they shot their wad kicking the **** out of the donkeys. Ben was on fire that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed. It’s amazing how badly Tomlin underachieved with Cowher’s players. Oh wait, that was Cowher underachieving.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    That playoff game against the Colts probably aged me 10 years. From Troy's (wrongly) overturned fumble recovery to Jerome's fumble to Ben's tackle to the last second missed field goal, it was more memorable (to me at least) than any other Steelers playoff game. Since I've watched every Steelers playoff game since the one against the Raiders in '72 (yeah, THAT one) that says a lot.

8. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    All the way to a ring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I agree LD. When Bus fumbled, I told myself - out of self perseverance - that it was only a game and maybe this was the point where I would stop following the Steelers or NFL. But when Ben made the tackle and that dill hole kicker missed the FG, all was right in my world again.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

Yup, should have never gotten to that though. Cower started playing his version of marty ball. That game should have been a blow out when we got out to big lead................

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    He picked right up where he left off vs. Denver too. Denver never knew what hit them, and Ben did his "rootin' tootin', shoot em' up" display.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    You're right about being hot near the end of the season vs the beginning. Wasn't there talk about the Chiefs being a SB team and Alex Smith an MVP candidate...5 weeks In? Things can change in a flash. That's why they play 16 games.

I think the 2004 team had everything go too well during the season. They rarely played from behind. It never felt like there was adversity. But I also think they were a year ahead of schedule. And let's be honest: they beat an inferior Jets team because their kicker was atrocious. And then the clock struck midnight when a seasoned, and championship caliber Patriots team came to town.

The 2005 team faced tons of adversity during the season. But, I think the turning point in the season was after Bettis ran over Urlacher. Everything changed on a dime. Ultimately though, I don't think the 04 team was as great as their record showed. But I don't think the 05 team was as " average" as their record showed.

As for the SB, honestly....it stunk. It was tough to watch at times. But a win is a win.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I loved it. I loved the boring steelers on top relaxing win. lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016

94 team had no business losing at home to the Chargers. I mean they were much better. Simply inexcusable to let his foot off the gas with a ten point lead.

95? I mean why did it take avoiding a near miracle Colts catch to beat an inferior opponent?

SB 30? People will focus on the Larry Brown picks. But Again, why so slow out of the gate?

96: complete no show ( literally and figuratively) in Foxboro.

97: Denver had the better QB, RB ( at time), TE, & receivers. They were better. That said, Steelers were once again flat to start.

2001: Another home playoff loss to an inferior team. Yes, Porter dropped a sure fire pick six. Stewart decided to play throw a bunch of key picks. But again....another poor start to a key game. NE looked more energized to start the game.

04: NE was better. I can't put this on Cowher. Frankly, that team isn't even in the title game without that atrocious Jets kicker. They were a year early.

05? Cowher wasn't " outstanding" per say. But in each playoff game, the team started fast. Thing is, why did he decide to take his foot off the gas with a big lead in Indy? Bettis's fumble should've never had any significance to begin with.

One SB win is better than nothing. But Frankly, his teams should've started better in many other big games. He's always been a bit overrated to me.