1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Machine Is About to Chew Up Bradshaw

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wolfepack88, Nov 7, 2022.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He should just refer to his work as a Fox NFL analyst as art and he should be able to get away with dang near anything. :facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't get people acting like that, but yeah, it was a ****ty thing for him to say.

3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    FB_IMG_1655676611926.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Terry has always been 'just a guy'
    and being 'just a guy' in today's society which is suffering from Righteous indignation at just about anything and everything is not easy.
    "We the Outraged."
    I knew what he meant, but it was a terrible way to phrase it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have a great fondness for Bradshaw despite his flaws. My parents met him when they were all on vacation in the same place about 50 years ago. They said he was just a regular guy enjoying himself, grounded and funny.

I met him once, but as a reporter. I got to interview him one-on-one before a book signing in Pittsburgh. They told me I had 10 minutes, but it went over 20. He came out to join me dressed for the signing, but barefoot. He was friendly, funny, and engaged. I only asked a few questions. Each time, he would start on the topic I raised, then go off on a tangent or tell a story. It was a roller coaster of an interview, kind of all over the place, but it was easily among the most enjoyable interviews I got to do in my career.

I'm never surprised when he says something inappropriate. I don't like what he said. As someone who has his own struggles with mental health, Bradshaw should probably know better than to make a comment that makes light of suicide. For those who don't know, Bradshaw was diagnosed with clinical depression in 1999. He has said that he went public with it to try to help others. He probably understands the importance of how people perceive mental illness better than most of us.

To be clear, I'm not outraged. I'm not even surprised. I'm a little disappointed just because I'm such a fan of Bradshaw's. I hope he will take the opportunity to connect this to his own struggles and offer a message of support for people who have battled thoughts of suicide. I do take this seriously. I have had students who battled depression and suicidal thoughts. My grandfather was a WWII veteran who battled PTSD and drug abuse for decades before committing suicide. We can both take this seriously and think that Bradshaw said something wrong and still support him and believe those calling for his job are being ridiculous. It is possible to do all of that.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I haven't seen one mention of this story on social media.

7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Similar experiences.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Fizzled pretty quick. Maybe the outrage machine will wither and die. If we are lucky.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe you should get your news from oh maybe a news source

It’s all over the news

Are you still hiding from me

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :beg:

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Suicide is a terrible thing and I cannot imagine what a family goes through if it happens. I don't believe Terry intended anything harmful. Seems like some on social media look forward to be selectively upset. I don't remember the outrage about the title of the movie 'Suicide Squad', but a heck of a lot of people went to see it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He didn’t mean anything by it but he is a 74 year old man that isn’t going to tailor his personality to fit into todays society.

Taylor Swift was recently in the news because apparently one of her videos made waves because she steps on a scale and instead of numbers it has the word FAT in it and the world went ape****.

I mean holy **** you need a checklist to see what might hurt someone’s feeling before saying it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You also have to update it daily....that checklist.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    It has to be a feeling of importance to some to get a person fired or forced to issue a groveling apology. And they keep lowering the bar on what sets up them off. Maybe the good news is, they wouldn't last long on a fan forum :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Did he ever tailor his personality to fit modern society? Bradshaw has always been Bradshaw, whether people liked what he was doing and saying or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Saw it up close and personal with my grandfather, also a WWII vet. He medicated with beer and whiskey. And although he rarely showed impairment and was always a gentleman, it took its toll and he died at 73. He was a good man and a fine mentor despite his addiction.

As far as Bradshaw, I agree on all points. His "aw, shucks" demeanor is a large part of who he is, and I would hate to see him removed because of an unfortunate sentence. I think if he apologizes with reference to his own mental health struggles, that should be enough. Would it be enough in today's world? Hard to say. The type of people that pound their fists for people to be cancelled over a simple poor choice of words are people I would not want to associate with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Was Murray put on a suicide watch was he offered counselling. Murray said it first with that stupid comment and maybe that popped into Terry's head when he said what he said.

Either the way the whole freaking world is too sensitive to everything. Sorry if I offended anyone who lives in the world, or those that refer to themselves as freaks or those who consider themselves sensitive.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't realize Murray had said that. Yeah, that was a stupid way to put it. To be fair, I'm sure I have used that expression. I try to be more careful with my words these days, which is necessary for teaching.

I'm not offended by what you wrote above. I'm not outraged. I do think it was childish to jump in just to joke about suicide and take a swipe at people who are more considerate of others than you choose to be, but that's your choice. At least one person thought it as funny, so good for you. :shrug:

I'd rather just roll my eyes than waste any anger on such foolishness. I don't get anybody allowing themselves to be angry with you or with what Bradshaw said. Neither comment is worth it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :whistley:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Was the interview published?

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The article I wrote based on my interview with Bradshaw? Yes, but that was a long time ago.

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Does such a thing still exist in 2022?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, but none of them are perfect. They never were. Objectivity is a goal, one that isn't always attainable from an organization of human beings.

24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm sorry, but not only are they not perfect, they are barely acceptable. Objectivity in journalism isn't a goal, it is an absolute necessity. Human beings that struggle to present news to the public in an unbiased light should be removed from their ability to do so.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I prided myself on my objectivity. Most journalists worth a damn do. I also understand that there were likely times I was not perfectly objective. It's not possible, not for anybody. That is why we refer to it as a goal.

To be clear, I'm not being easy on myself when I was a journalist when I write that. I'm not being easy on any current journalists. I'm being tough on myself and them, knowing that my standard of objectivity are likely higher than yours.