1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lions have released Jesse James

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 11, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Called this about a month ago, bet you the Steelers bring him back.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Why? This is the 2nd team to let him walk. Depth?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers didn’t let him go, he was a FA and Detroit gave him an insane contract and lots of players are getting cut this year plus, they never used him much after they drafted Hockenson in the first.

He did a good job when he was with us, they need someone since Vance retired.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There is an awful lot of hype going into guys that want to play here and yet they don't have money to keep their own talent. I'd be happy to have outlaw back. Not sure about John Brown or Kyle Rudolph althought he has improved tremendously as a blocker. Just not sure where the money will come unless players want a one year vet min deal until next season when the cap goes back up with new tv money

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dude bad mouthed the Steelers on the way out the door. Don’t want him back....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think that is a little exaggerated, from what I remember he said he was glad to get away from the drama. That was the year Bell held out and then AB subsequently lost his mind. I doubt it’s as bad now.

As for the player himself, the TE depth chart is pretty pathetic looking and they don’t have the draft capital to fix it. If JJ wants a two year team friendly deal I would give it to him. Cap hit in the first year needs to be as low as possible, same with Brown or any other free agent they pursue.

They have so many holes on the roster it’s crazy, the depth that they had last year is gone. They are going to need to sign role players like James and Brown as cheaply as they can. They probably have 30-35 viable players right now, add 6-7 in the draft, they still need another 10 guys to make up a roster.

Its not about hyping James or any other player, we all know his limitations, but they need cheap players that can take snaps when the season comes around.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    A nice cheap signing for depth would be great. I liked JJ when he was in Black & Gold. Left for the dough, come on home.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I would add that the Steelers are not going to be signing anybody soon. They will let the free agency madness pass like they always do, see who is left without a team and work from there. If James has another decent offer let him take it.

They have multiple ways to clear cap space but no need to do it right now, they can extend Nelson, Haden, Ebron and others to clear cap room if they need it to sign some value free agents.

Guys like James that have been cut are preferable because they don’t hurt your compensatory pick standing for 2022.

10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yeah, he could have kept his mouth shut. But that was when Mr. Big Chest's full on meltdown was getting out of control.

• Like Like x 2
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I always felt bad for the guy. He'd make a catch and you would hear memories of Heath Miller.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Of course I'd like TE Hunter Henry if We could afford Him, and If He could stay healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Is it really exaggerated though? He did want to get away from the drama and maybe we just don't want to take off the black and yellow glasses and realize that Mr james called it like he saw it. We all love our steelers but i think a lot of fans are blind or just don't want to see that under this ownership and coaching we have become a drama team. The hardnosed NO BS blue collar mentality that everyone loved is not what it used to be anymore. Part of that is the way the league is trending and a even bigger part is that Art is not like his dad. Over the last decade the Drama and stupid stuff has increased drastically in this franchise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t think the drama part is exaggerated, certainly not back then anyway.

What I meant was the extent that JJ thrashed the team on his way out the door may have been exaggerated a bit. It’s not like he went out in to the middle of Heinz Firld and took a dump on the logo. He just commented on all the crazy locker room stuff that was going on at the time. There was no need to say anything of course, but what he said wasn’t that offensive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d rather look into Jonnu Smith, would be cheaper and more durable and could be their TE for the foreseeable future but even he is probably too much money.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think they are getting Henry or Smith, but they might be able to sign James and he could help.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hunter is a Razorback....So...cant help the Love here.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah, gotcha :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would not mind JJ back, but I am with you at just waiting a bit. I may be wrong, but think the second/third pool of FA's this year is going to be deeper. Not only do you have all these potential cuts, but last years increased PS players (many who had NFL experience because the rules were relaxed) will also be looking for work. Not saying you are going to find hidden gems here, but depth players with not only positional experience,but special teams as well.

• Like Like x 2
  21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    In theory they could go after Smith if they cut Ebron loose, that’d save $6m

Smith is expected to make $8m + per year but they could get year 1 down well below that with the right contract, you’d certainly get it below $6m

That kind of move would make a lot more sense that keeping Juju at $14m a year, which is probably what it would take at a minimum.

Other teams will be looking at Smith as well so it may be hard to pull off. I think Ebron stays as TE1

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Thanks for your perspective. I thought we'd go TE in the draft but who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    No, no, no

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  25. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I got nothing against bringing the gunslinger back, if they can make it work.